Allergies or URI ?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Gail & Houdini (GA), Aug 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gail & Houdini (GA)

Gail & Houdini (GA) Well-Known Member

How do I tell the difference and when is it time for antibiotics? Houdini has ongoing allergies and this summer has been hard on him but the sneezing has really escalated in the past few days. He is was sneezing clear mucus and now it’s sort of white and his eyes are really watering. He has been on Zyrtec for a week and it isn’t helping at all.

Poor guy looks miserable but so far he is still eating

His vet is on vacation and the substitute isn’t one of my favorites……I hate to take him in because it is so hard on his arthritis.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If allergies, his eyes may have reddened skin around them.

Gentle wipe downs with a damp washcloth may help remove allergen from the body..

Sterile, preservative free eye drops may help flush allergen out of the eyes and nose (ex Systane)

Damp mopping any smooth surfaces in the home and diligent vacucming of soft furnishings and carpet may help (vacuum should have a HEPA filter bag on it)

If the ductwork in the home hasn't been cleaned out lately, it can be worth having an HVAC company come in to do that.

Washing all bedding to remove allergen may help too.

Is he otherwise breathing OK?

Merck Veterinary Manual Online - Some topics which may have useful info or ideas:

Excessive Acquired Responses

Essential Fatty Acids for Integumentary Diseasae

3. Gail & Houdini (GA)

He has had allergies for years now - a combination of food and airborne - with mostly itchy skin & ears but once in awhile the dust or dryness will make him sneeze. Impossible to avoid wind or dust where we live.....

He is breathing OK but this is a lot of sneezing for it just to be allergies I think.....

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Are you doing l-lysine at all? Feline herpes comes and goes.

Ptherwise, might be worth a vet check and asking for a respiratory panel (sent out, ex IDEXX labs has one). I thought Spitzer had feline herpes and he actually had a form of bartonella virus. He got put on cyclosporine and greatly improved.

5. Gail & Houdini (GA)

I tried L lysine when this first started and it didn't do anything. Maybe it's worth a try again since it's been years ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.