Allergy issues

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by George and Bert, Oct 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George and Bert

George and Bert Member

Sadie is not Diabetic. She suffers from terrible allergies or at least I think they are, but viral is always a possibility. She licks and chews herself raw, plus sneezes and vomits mucous. I have tried two types of antihistamines, several Depo shots as well as antibiotics and nothing works. Sadie is a former Feral who is about ten years old.

Thank you.

2. Anitafrnhamer

Anitafrnhamer Member

Ask your vet to order or write you a prescription of Hill's d/d. It's an allergy food I used it for Squeaker and he responded very well to it. When dealing with potential food allergies it is best to use a protein source that Sadie has never had before; I would suggest duck or venison. And to help eliminate the possibility of steroid induced diabetes no more Depo injections. They are what made Squeaker diabetic.

3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I think @Carol & Murphy is using Apoquel, a new allergy med, and is having good results thus far. @Carol & Murphy - could you perhaps give more info on Apoquel?

Mogs

4. Suzanne Kostenko

Suzanne Kostenko Member

My cat, Norman, non diabetic, was recently started on Megace for spraying. In my research of its uses it was mentioned that it was used for skin allergies also. I have no experience with it otherwise. Another drug used for spraying and obsessive/compulsive behaviors is Buspar(brand name).

5. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Murphy has seasonal allergies with runny nose/congestion from May until October. He gets 5 mg of zyrtec every day during allergy season but sometimes it wasn't enough. This spring the vet added a new drug called Apoquel - it is a drug that was developed for cutaneous allergies in dogs, but they are trying it for different types of allergies. I must say it has worked very well for Murphy - he is only on his 1st antibiotic round of the season for a sinus infection, which is remarkable from previous years. It is apparently very safe, so you might check into it.

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. Critter Mom

Carol & Murphy (GA) likes this.
  7. Carol & Murphy (GA)

How are you, Mogs? Nice to see your posts :bighug::bighug:

8. Critter Mom

A lot worse than words on the screen might lead one to think ... It's better being here around people who understand than being completely alone with it. :(

I still feel her with me ... (((Saoirse))) Were it not for that I think I'd be curled up in a ball in some very dark corner or other.

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Mogs

9. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Oh, sweetie - I'm sorry but we are SO HAPPY to see your posts. Please keep posting away and we are all here for you any time you need anything, day or night :bighug::bighug::bighug:
    @George and Bert - so sorry to hijack your thread - Mogs is very special here on FDMB

Critter Mom and Tuxedo Mom like this.
  10. Critter Mom

(((Carol)))

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

11. George and Bert

George and Bert Member

Not a problem, Carol. We're all family and here to support one another through these sometimes horrible heart breaking moments. Bert ( pictured ) past a couple of years ago due to a vet's misdiagnoses. Thanks to support and guidance on this forum he lived a long and comfortable life and was controlled prior to his passing.

Mogs..I am sure everyone here would welcome your PM or phone call and would be here to support you and help with your grieving we understand all to well. This is a scary and painful business. Take heart, as I believe we will be with them once again in a perfect world. It only makes perfect sense that lives, in the end, are not wasted. Do not hesitate to lean on everyone for support.

Thank you, everyone, for your valuable input. I'll consult the vet on your suggestions.

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.