ALlergy testing

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by mary hornbeck, Jan 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mary hornbeck

mary hornbeck Member

Hi everyone:
    No matter what I feed my cat, fancynfeast or friskies pate, he still itches his chin occasionally. He has kitty acne and the chin scratching makes it worse as the itch irritates the acne. What kind of testing does a vet due and what costs can be associated with this? I know that every vet charges differently so any feedback would be appreciated.

Mary hornbeck

2. Sean & Rufus

Sean & Rufus Well-Known Member

I'm not expert, but have been dealing with this for a long time. Rufus started getting acne about 5 years ago. Then he started vomiting. That went away with food change, then and now he has itches and scratches constantly. Patches of fur missing. Now it has turned into a food intolerance I believe. Anyways, I've had 2 vets over the years tell me that the testing usually comes back inconclusive and it's not worth the cost. I switched Rufus to a novel protein, rabbit, earlier this year but pancreatitis and now diabetes have complicated him eating that. I read about NutriScan testing and I might do it. It's $300 though! So options would be that test or might find a less expensive, or switch him to a protein that he has never had before fro about 6 to 8 weeks minimum to get all the allergens out his system, and then reintroduce foods to him to see which irritate him. The problem with the Fancy Feasts and the Friskies is there are multiple proteins in each can, so it will be difficult to tell which it bothering him. Good luck!

3. mary hornbeck

mary hornbeck Member

Thank u for the insight

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.