Alley update and med q

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Leslie & Alley, Apr 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leslie & Alley

Leslie & Alley Member

I am having to give a lot of different med's right now and she is not keeping them down all the time. I am looking for any suggestions. She is nausous from time to time from the crf. She isn't eating as much at all right now and I think that is part of the problem..that she doesn't always have a lot of food in her stomach. She is not a good pill taker at all, so I have crushed the tablets up and mixed with water. The problem is giving her 4 things orally pretty much one after another and she is not big on eating wet food (although I am trying). If she eats wet food it may be just a bite or two. She seems to be most sensitive to the clavamox (which has never happened) and she really needs to keep that down.

Things we are treating right now:
    -crf
    -bladder infection
    -yeast infection
    -high phorsphorous
    -low potassium

What she is getting: Times a day When med started
    -sub-q fluids 2x a day 4 months
    -clavamox liquid 2x a day for bladder infection about 1 wk now
    -fulconazole tablet 45mg 2x a day just 2 days now
    -potassium glucoanate gel 1/2 tsp 2x a day about 3 days but only 1 x
    -prilosac otc 1/4 1x a day for now 3 days
    -phosphorous binder 1/8-1/4 tsp 1x a day should arrive anyday now

For those who remember us from a few months back....Alley is still off of insulin and holding steady there for about 4 months now!! Through sub-q fluids some of her kidney values(bun, creatine) have gone down but her phosphorous went up. I am waiting for the binder to arrive and hopefully that will help. The vet thinks that the grinding noise she is making when she eats is from the yeast build up in her intestines. On her Vet visit ..2 weeks ago the vet spotted to sores on the sides of her tongue. He said he wasn't sure what it was from, but possibly could be from yeast....but he said that was REALLY rare in cats.
    Well we did the test and it came back positive, so hopefully the fulconazole will help that problem and she will be able to eat with comfort soon!!
    There was also some protien in her urine.

She lost some weight and has gotten a very spiny back bone towards her back half. Will that go away as her phosphorous goes down? But she is walking all over the house the last few months and I am getting lots of time with her....thanks to advice and help from many of you here!! As you know..she has gone through a lot and it was a miracle that we got to bring her home after she went into a diabetic coma and then coronary arrest.... Now..this sweet kitty gets just about any and everything she wants!! She wants on the bed ..then down for a sip of water 2 seconds later..then back on the bed a second after that lol and over and over again...she gets it and I love every min of it!! She doesn't have any pull w/her med's though ;)Leslie & Alley

Private message

2. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

has your vet not mentioned the fact that clavamox is notorious for causing stomach upset? It is banned in my house unless absolutely necessary. Was there a culture and sensitivity test done for her infection? if not, I'd suggest it pronto so you can get her on a different antibiotic as long as there is one appropriate. Personally, I'd consider discontinuing the clavamox in case it is the cause, and I'd ask about giving 1/4 tablet of pepcid ac (NOT Pepcid Complete).

Good luck!

3. Leslie & Alley

Leslie & Alley Member

Well for the baldder infection..he said it is the only med that really works well for it. She has taken it several times b4 and necver had any problem. I did try pepcid but she is still not eating much at all. Thank you very much!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.