ALLEY'S is having SEIZURES & in ER..help!!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Leslie & Alley, Aug 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leslie & Alley

Leslie & Alley Member

She still has not been on insulin since Dec.
    Well first of all..Alley is walking again as of 5 weeks ago!! It took about 4 weeks and she is now on Epogen.
    She has CRF and was very anemic. We started her on Epogen about a month ago and her numbers are now at 29%. I have also been giving her b12 on her food incase it was nerve damage. About a 1 1/2 weeks ago we found that she had a tape worm and she was givin an injection for that.

Today my my boyfriend woke me up and said that she was acting funny and thought maybe she was having a heart attack. I went out to find her and she was ok, but then she went into a seizure. She completely seized up and was rolling over on the ground and her front leg was making a swating motion. I tried to grap her so she wouldn't hurt her back. It was really bad!! I have never seen her have a seizure but I wonder if she might have had one before her legs gave out a few months ago.

Soon after that one she had another but not as bad. I wasn't completely sure what was going on but now I know they were seizures. She seemed fine for about 10-15 mins and then had a couple more small ones. In the meantime I am trying to get dressed and call the vet to see if he was in today. She kept having them about 6 I think. We got her in the car and drove to the ER Vet(now, her regular vet) but he was at another office and that took about 25-30 mins. I had her wrapped in a blanket and held her tight. I felt her tense up once but only for a second.

After getting to the vet they did bloodwork to check her kidney levels and they had gone up since last Weds...about 30 points. I have been taking her every Weds to the vet to see how her levels are on the Epogen. But last Weds her kidney levels were up higher than they have been, but since I was gone for a few days before her visit..we thought that maybe she hadn't gotten all her fluids, since my boyfriend was giving her meds while I was gone. So, the vet wanted to wait and she how she did next week and she was walking, eating and doing well.

She is in the ER on iv fluids and they started her on anti-seizure med. She had 1 small seizure shortly after I left but has not had another as of now. I left her there around noon today.

Does anyone know what this could be from? I read on here that it can be high blood pressure or also calcium inbalance. We already know she has the other problems. I have asked them to check both of these things, but they have not done it yet and said that they need to treat her kidney values 1st w/the iv fluid.

I am just looking for any helpful info!! What could be causing this etc.

2. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry Alley is having seizures! I have no experience with it, so I'm no help, but I hope the vet figures out what is causing the seizures soon and she gets feeling better.

In the meantime, at least this will bump you back to the top and hopefully someone else will be able to give you some help!

3. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

I hope she will be ok! Many prayers your way.

(((Leslie)))

4. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

How is Alley this morning?

5. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

6. Sherry and Harley

Sherry and Harley Member

Sending happy, healing thoughts your way. I hope Alley is doing better today.

s

7. Mary & Stormy Blue

Mary & Stormy Blue Member

Sending healing prayers for Alley.

~M

8. Leslie & Alley

Leslie & Alley Member

Thank you everyone!!
    Well, Alley came back home last Weds after staying 2 nights in the hospital. She only had 1 seizure after I had left her there. Her Kidney were up so we kept her in the hospital on IV fluid for 2 days. They checked her blood pressure and thyroid and they both came back normal...so it wasn't that. Her Kidney levels dropped about 40 points and being that the seizures had stopped ...she was to go home. They did start her on Phenobarbital for the seizures. The Vet thought that maybe they were from the Kidney levels going up, but when I picked her and was ready to leave...she had another very small one. So, it wasn't the Kidney levels either.
    They still don't know what it is causing them. The good news is.... they have stopped for now. After the seizures her back legs went out again, but this time she was trying to walk on Friday (2 days) after getting back home. She is still wobbley but already walking again!!
    There was one thing I heard about....Alley had been given worm medicine the Weds before this happened(on Monday). We had found out that she had a tapeworm. But she is really an indoor cat. The only time in yrs that she was exposed to flees was about a yr ago when someone brought their dog inside without us knowing. All the cats got flees. I had de-fleed her but that was about 8-12 months ago. I had a friend of mine tell me that she had adopted a kitten and after having her for about 2 weeks, the kitten starting having seizues that wouldn't stop. She got her to the er, but the kitten didn't make it. They found out that the kitten had worms and they had gotten in her brain and that is what was causing the seizures!! My Vet said it is really rare...but if Alley had a tape worm....she has had it for a long time. They could do a MRI...but I can't afford that and they would also have to put her under, which I am not sure she is healthy enough for.
    She hasn't had anymore that we are aware of and they think maybe the one at the Vet when I picked her up ...was because she was excited. I am sooooo happy she is home again!! It is just NOT the same without her here ;).

9. Taline & Bibo

Taline & Bibo Member

Hi Leslie,
    I hope you and Alley are doing better, My prayers are with you and hope you'll post Alley's good news soon. Don't think of the worst in regards to the brain being affected by the worm. Let the healing take place and we're all praying for Alley.
    Please keep on posting and Best of Health to your little girl.

Taline

10. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Your friend's kitten may have had a cutereba Rare but outside kittens can be infected and also rare but the worm may migrate up the nose into the brain. Ivermectin I believe is what could kill the larvae but Ivermectin doesn't cross the brain barrier. " Cuterebra are large flies whose larvae (small worms) infest the skin of rodents, squirrels, rabbits, dogs and cats. The adult fly is seldom seen. The female deposits eggs near the nests of rabbits or rodents. The larva, which look like small worms, hatch from the eggs when exposed to the heat of the nearby animal. After hatching, the larva migrate through the nose, mouth or skin wound of the rabbit or rodent and burrow under the skin. A cyst, with a hole in the center through which the larva's head can be seen, forms around the larva. Cuterebra larva can grow up to 1 inch long and ½ inch in diameter. After about a month, the mature larva emerges from the cyst and burrows into the soil to pupate. After a variable pupation period, the adult fly emerges.

Cats can acquire cuterebra larva after curious investigations of a rodent or rabbit den. By investigating the area, the cat may come in contact with cuterebra eggs or larva."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.