Almost 2 Weeks In... Dosing?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lauren & Comet, Jan 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lauren & Comet

Lauren & Comet Member

Hello all,

I've been at this since last Monday and since I began testing Thursday, the 1 u is simply not enough to get her where she needs to be (see SS). We are going for a vet consult (took the advice here and will be curving myself tomorrow) on Tuesday. Her next dose is in about 40 minutes. I was thinking of experimenting with 2u tonight and, if all goes well, tomorrow for her curve.

Bad idea? Thoughts?

I just feel like what I'm doing now is not helpful and want to do something sooner rather than later if possible.

TIA!

2. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

I'm no expert with Prozinc - Rosa is a Lantus kitty. But I think increasing by a full unit would be too much of an increase all at once with any insulin - certainly with Lantus we increase by 0.25u increments while the overall dosing is fairly low. I believe this is the same for Prozinc and I hope that one of the Prozinc users can confirm that for you. It does look as though Comet may need a little more insulin, but I would be much more conservative with the increases than going up by a whole unit. Hopefully someone with direct experience with Prozinc will be along soon to add some more help for you. :)

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. Lauren & Comet

Lauren & Comet Member

Thanks!

manxcat419 likes this.
  4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I would only increase to 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 units.

manxcat419 likes this.
  5. manxcat419

Thank you Larry - I thought that was the case for Prozinc as well, but I was hoping someone who's used it would confirm. :)

6. Lauren & Comet

Lauren & Comet Member

Just posted update in Prozinc forum

7. manxcat419

I see it - I replied on your other post. :)

8. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Only a quarter to half unit at a time. Better safe than sorry. You don't want your kitty to crash, ok? I know it doesn't look like much, but an increase of one unit is too much. Especially since you are only 2 weeks in.

manxcat419 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.