Almost a week now!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mich and Sammy, Jan 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mich and Sammy

Mich and Sammy New Member

Hi all... When I posted on Facebook about Sammy's diagnosis, I was pointed in this board's direction. My Sammy is eight years old and has always been in love with food -- all kinds of food. So he was 20 lbs at his last vet checkup, but the vet didn't say this was a bad thing. However, the moment I realized he was drinking 3x as much water as normal, I had an inner uh-oh. Luckily, i got him in within two weeks of seeing any change. His blood glucose is 3x normal, but everything else is pretty average. I'm hoping very much that he'll go into remission quickly, but I'm not counting on it. I hate needles, but everyone was right in saying that it will hurt me more than it hurts him. He barely notices it and I'm slowly getting used to the ritual.

Anyway, I'm very happy to find a forum to learn more and meet others dealing with this. :)

2. phlika29

phlika29 Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear about sammy's diagnosis.

I hope you find that this forum is a great resource. I was lucky with my cat in that he was only on insulin for a few months but I also knew that if he didn't got off the juice I could get him well controlled so that he could live a long and happy life still.

May I ask what insulin he is on and what food? It would also be helpful if you could amend your signature to include this information.

We encourage members to post any questions or concerns they have over in the main health forum so more people will see it.

Best wishes

Sarah

3. Mich and Sammy

Thanks Sarah...and thanks for the tip! Have fixed my signature. :)

4. phlika29

phlika29 Well-Known Member

That's great. And I see you have added a lovely photo of sammy. :)

Now where about are you in the world? That might be worth adding to your signature along with any other conditions sammy has (if any).

How are you finding sammy is on the caninsulin?

5. Mich and Sammy

I'm in the Toronto area. Sammy's doing well on caninsulin. I see that he's much peppier than he was last week. He's going in for blood work in a week and a half and my fingers are crossed that he'll be even better by then. :)

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. Marciegee

Marciegee Member

Welcome Mich and Sammy! I found Moby was drinking tons of water and we caught up pretty quickly, as well. It's nice to meet you! Your Sammy is adorable!

7. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Mich and Sammy, and a very warm welcome to FDMB.

My Bertie was diagnosed at age 8 also. That was 8 years ago now.
    And I hated needles too, but got over my fear by practicing giving shots to oranges! :rolleyes:

This is a very helpful and friendly forum and I do hope you soon feel at home here. :coffee:

Please ask any questions you want to. You can get a lot of info here about sorts of things including insulin, diet, and about how to test your cat's blood glucose at home (way easier than it sounds, and it doesn't hurt the kitty; most of use glucose meters made for human diabetics).
    If you post questions on the main feline health forum you'll probably get more 'eyes' on your posts.

Welcome aboard, Mich!

Eliz

8. tonimarmalade

tonimarmalade Member

Wondering why there are little glasses next to the pictureof Marmalade inThe Welcome forum and why her picture as a tiny duplicate next to it. How can I fix that up?

9. Lori & Lulu

Lori & Lulu Well-Known Member

Welcome, Mich & Sammy. Lulu was dx on March 13 and I was so worried and upset. But the info and helpfulness of the membership here is invaluable, I'm feeling so much more comfortable and I am sure you will too.

10. tonimarmalade

tonimarmalade Member

This FDMB is amazing! I am not at all good with technology although I do manage my iPad but there has always been someone (s)there to help me with any need from faulty color coding on the SS to Marmy's low scores and what to do.

Still wondering what those tiny little glasses and the little scond picture mean next to Marmy,s post in the Welcome forum

11. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

I think it means you're following the post automatically because you created it.

12. tonimarmalade

tonimarmalade Member

What does the little lock mean on some other posts and why am I the only one with glasses?

13. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

A lock means no further responses can be made on that thread. Sticky posts are locked.

Where are you seeing glasses?

14. manxcat419

OK, if you point at the extra little picture, it's there because you posted in a thread. Pointing at the picture will tell you how many messages you posted. The glasses will appear by any thread that you're watching - again, if you point at the glasses it will tell you that the thread is watched. I just noticed that it gives that information. So you'll only see those next to threads that you've either posted in (in which case you'll be watching the thread automatically unless you opt out of it) or you might see just the glasses next to threads where you haven't posted but you've marked them as watched.

15. tonimarmalade

tonimarmalade Member

How do you know these things? Should I be reading somewhere?
    Have a great day. And thank you.

16. manxcat419

I've probably been a member of too many video gaming forums over the years!! ;) Though I only noticed that it actually gives you information by accident as I was scrolling down the page yesterday so I learned something new as well!

17. tonimarmalade

tonimarmalade Member

Symbiosis! A good thing! Thanks again!

manxcat419 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.