(Almost) Caturday Report for Basil: CRF?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA, Nov 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Hello Everyone,

Mr Basil continues to have beautiful bg numbers and to be a purry and affectionate little guy. Lots of lap time, purring, head rubs, keyboard stomping and general cuteness. He still attacks his sister... Sigh. And the dog on occasion.

He tuned 17 this summer and with the introduction of a little glucosamine to his daily diet, he has regained his ability to jump onto the kitchen counters and onto the high back of his favorite rocking recliner, from which he can survey the world like the wee king he is.

But, there is some not-so-good news. He has been getting fussier about food and losing weight although he remains one perky guy. At his checkup this week, we discovered he has some kidney issues. I TOLD the vet I would accept thyroid, but not kidney. Our little dog has been suffering from CRF for almost three years and it is a bear. Plus the diet for CRF is incompatible with the diet for diabetes. ANd the worst part is that our dog is suffering from an ever worsening neurological problem in which he has some good days but more not-so-god to pretty bad. We came to terms this week, right before Basil's news, with the idea that we will probably have to make a tough decision about the little doggie pretty soon. So, feeling a tad overwhelmed right now. We are waiting for the results of Basil's urine test to see if there is infection and if he might require a course of antibiotics. But I am beginning the process of investigating foods for him.

I am wondering, is it a given that if I increase the carbs in his food to make his diet kidney compatible, that he will end up right back on insulin?

Exhaustedly Yours,

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Re: (Almost) Caturday Report for Basil

(((Lydia))) Sorry to hear about the medical issues going on with the fur-kids right now, but it sounds like Basil is doing quite well. I like feisty. :cool:

Rhiannon put together a short cut list from Dr. Lisa's list of fuds. It contains all the 8% and under ones, and there are a number that are suitable for CKD kitties. Paws crossed Basil will like some of them.

3. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Oh, wow, Wendy. Thank you! This just helped a bit with my burnout. :)

4. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Lydia,
    Basil looks to be doing great at 17 years old! Interesting that the glucosamine is helping so much. I'm thinking of trying it on Rusty.
    I hope Basil doesn't have the beginnings of CKD, but you are right to stay on top of it. You probably already know about Tanya's CKD comprehensive site: http://felinecrf.org/index.htm, and it is helpful to see that all this information in the site is now available in book form.

I'm sorry that I don't know the answer to your question about whether the kidney-friendly foods will require you to start insulin again. I hope that you will hear soon from some of the best-versed beans. Perhaps put the ? symbol at the head of your subject line so that they will know you would like advice.

Anyway, it's great to hear from you. Wishing you a good weekend and hoping you will get some answers to your questions and some good advice on foods. Rhiannon's list is so handy. You might want to P.M. Ann (Tess) with regard to what she is doing to stall off CKD.

Hugs, scritches,

Ella & Rusty

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Hey, Lydia!

I hope you've caught any kidney issues early. The low carb and low phos foods may be a little higher in carbs than what you currently feed Basil. They are probably a littler higher in phos than the prescription kidney foods. You can always use a phosphorus binder to improve your selection.

6. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Hi Ella! That's a good idea. I will put the ? icon up there and change my title a bit. I was doubtful about the glucosamine. It did not seem to help our civvie Rosie very much. But she has much worse arthritis. Basil began it at the first sign of being less spry. There are a million different forms--flavored and unflavored, capsule, tablet, chewable. My dog won't touch any of the flavored ones. But I cleared with my vet that I can just adjust the dose to cat size on the ones he rejected and give it to them. The dog now gets human, unflavored capsules which I open up and sprinkle, 1/3 capsule per day, on his food.

Basil does not like the flavored sprinkle capsules for cats but Rosie does. Basil likes the dog chews so he gets 1/4 of one of those. I try to get a variety that includes MSM so if you want to try Rusty on this regimen, you might consider that.

Sienne, that's true. I do use powdered calcium as a phosphorous binder for my dog but I knw that can be improved upon and Basil may need that. I tried one of the Newman's Own foods from the list last night and Bail seemed to like it. Will that last? Who can say? He IS a cat, after all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.