Almost fainted....correction on lowest number ever!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MisMelzy, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisMelzy

MisMelzy Member

Okay I tested her a little early because she seemed hungry. So I figured I wouldn't torture her and I'd take her reading a little early. Was supposed to test at 7:34 (would have been 3 hours after) Anyways. When I got the reading, I about fainted! No lie! Ready for her reading??.........112!!! Could it be her body is starting to heal on just the low carb food and the frequent eating schedule? I don't know. But that is the best present I could ever get!

2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

112 is fantastic! Yes, it's possible the food change is having an impact and lowering the numbers. Could also be a little bit of meter variance.

Lucky is not on insulin yet, correct?

3. MisMelzy

MisMelzy Member

Yes not on insulin at all yet!

4. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

In order to say kitty is in remission (even though she never had insulin) we need 14 days of normal numbers. let's see what happens tomorrow! and the next 13 days....

Regardless - you must always treat her as a diabetic and continue feeding low carb wet food!

this is great! and let's keep it up --- rather down!

5. MisMelzy

MisMelzy Member

Well this is day 2 of 14 days! Her number this AM was 119! 12 More days to go!

6. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Thats great! To help her pancreas heal you want to feed mini meals through the day not big ones. And no high carb foods at all - not even the occasional kibble treat.

Wendy

7. MisMelzy

MisMelzy Member

No kibble at all. I make sure when I take the food bowl up in the basement for the other cats that there are no crumbs on the floor and I sweep up. She stays in a room all by her self when I'm not home. She loves it. My other male cat liked to pounce on her all the time. So she's quite happy to be away from him. I give her a meal after testing in the morning. I give her some for over night, and some for when I'm gone. That has been working very well. She eats about 4 or 5 small meals throughout the day. I think that has really helped her.

8. Deb & Wink

So when you go to work, kitty gets to go to the day spa, away from the boy for the day. Sounds lovely!

9. MisMelzy

MisMelzy Member

Yep. I have two boy cats and two other female cats. Since Lucky's been in a room by herself, he's now taken to pouncing on one of the other females. He actually bit Lucky causing major scabing once and the other time causing an infection and it was nasty. So I try to monitor them when they are together. It seems to go in spurts. I've talked to my vet about maybe putting him on some prozac or something. He got worse when one of his (I call litter mates but they weren't really. They were just together at the rescue since kittens and they didn't thrive without each other. So I adopted both) had a stroke and had to be helped over the rainbow bridge. She really doesn't want to put a cat on medication unless is really necessary. But with Lucky in a room all day I see it's not just her. He's just a very sensitive cat that gets stressed out easily. So I have to go back to her and see if she can prescribe something for him. I know a friend had a cat that was put on lorazepam which I have for my anxiety at times. But don't want to give him any unless I get the vet to say how much and if I can try it.

The routine is during the day when I'm away Lucky gets the office with the spare twin bed in it. The rest of the cats get the roam of the house. Then at night the other cats get locked out into the basement and she gets the roam of the house until the AM. Now when I'm home if she wants out she can be let out. But I pull the dry food up and make sure that she can't get into it. So she is never again around the dry food. When I go away over night, if that happens, she stays in the office until we get back.

10. MisMelzy

MisMelzy Member

Tested again tonight! New Low 96!! So what is too low?? I know she's still in normal range. But it's dropping lower, so just want to know when I need to give her anything to spike it up a bit?

11. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Really for a cat not on insulin you don't need to worry. Normal cats can drop down to 40 and are usually are 40-130.

Wendy

12. MisMelzy

MisMelzy Member

Tested her again this morning and she was at 106! :) :RAHCAT :RAHCAT

13. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

yay! Now we want to see more numbers under 100 please ;)

14. MisMelzy

MisMelzy Member

What numbers are ideal to have?

15. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

50-130 but a nice range of them. But if she stays 100-140 then I would be ok with that too

Wendy

16. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Love seeing kitties responding to diet change! I think other cats that are immediately put on insulin may not need if if the vets would insist on diet change first.

Is there a reason (other than money? :? ) that you don't feed all you cats canned? It would be a great diet for all of them , dry food can cause a number of health problems for cats.

17. MisMelzy

MisMelzy Member

dTested tonight at 95! The only reason all the cats don't get wet is financial. I can't afford to feed 5 cats wet. one is iffy as it is. I have people looking for ff coupons for me so I can get them for less. I have the others on a high quality grain free food. I know not as good as wet but what I can afford right now.

18. Deb & Wink

Yes, the Fancy Feast can get expensive if you're feeding more than 1 or 2 cats. I feed mine the Friskies pates in the 13 ounce cans. Helps out my budget immensely! Some of the Friskies like the Mixed Grill are higher than I like to feed to Wink, my sugardude, so he doesn't get that flavor.

19. MisMelzy

MisMelzy Member

Tested Lucky this AM and she was at 92! The other cats like Friskies, but even that is a little expensive on my budget. When I was feeding them all I could get $40 for all 5 cats for a month. It would be about 5x that just to feed them all wet. My budget for cat expenses is $80. That includes cat litter, cat food, Medication for my two HT kitties and pill pockets for them. And now testing strips and lancets for Lucky. So I have to watch for sales on stuff and pick it up on sale.

20. jbeausoleil

jbeausoleil Member

Lucky must have a good name ;D

I just posted about food at PetSmart. If you have access to PetSmart - their own brand of pate has been working wonders with my cat. The 5.5oz cans were on sale for $0.39/can in July and when my Izzy showed she liked it and her body liked it I bought 8 cases of 24 cans each for something like $78! That is a half year supply for my kitty. I think it normally runs about $0.49/can but at that size and price it beats FF. It is probably even worth paying shipping if you can not go directly to the store. But I did buy a few different flavors and made sure the food was going to pass the finicky taste buds test first ;D

Best to you and your kitty!
    Jean & Izzy

21. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Thats great on her BG - we are day 3? of an OTJ trial? 11 more to go!

Gotta think that even feeding Friskies to all the cats might be expensive now but will save you in vet costs for kidney issues and possible diabetes in the future?

Wendy

22. MisMelzy

MisMelzy Member

I believe today is day five? Started this past Thursday. This am she was at 78!! YAY. Crossing my fingers!

23. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

She is doing great day 5!!!!

24. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

A workable compromise might be a mix of a low carb dry and a low carb wet, or possibly using a pre-mix to add to very freshly ground meat. And if finances allowed, getting a grinder so you could grind up whatever you wanted.

Cat Info has a recipe for a raw diet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.