Almost OTJ just 6 weeks after diagnosis. Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by colleenlindsay, Mar 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. colleenlindsay

colleenlindsay Member

It has now been six weeks or so since my 14-yr old cat Stinkyboy was diagnosed with diabetes and we're at the point now where my vet wants to go off the insulin for a trial week.

Once I was able to learn to successfully test Stinky's numbers (and get blood from his ear - thank you everyone who offered advice on that!!!) - I started getting lower and lower numbers. We were moved down to .5 units twice a day and a couple of times his numbers were so low that he didn't need insulin at all. Tonight he was at 109, no no insulin. When I talked to my vet on Wednesday, he was surprised but happy and suggested a trial week without the insulin, while I continue to test.

The only thing I can think of is that I have been completely OCD about what and when I feed Stinkyboy. But is it really possible to get his numbers down that low in just six weeks?

I'm a bit nervous as I leave on a business trip tomorrow for two days, and had left the catsitter instructions for her to give Stinky .5 units twice a day, but she doesn't know how to test blood glucose, so I think it might be prudent to err on the side of caution and have her discontinue insulin until I get back on Sunday afternoon.

Opinions? Advice? Is it really possible that my cat could go OTJ in just six weeks???

2. 3cats

3cats New Member

Re: Almost OTJ just 6 weeks after diagnosis. Is this possibl

Yes - my cat went into remission at exactly 6 weeks on Lantus; it's been 3 years and she still has normal numbers. Congratulations!

3. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, it could be! Sometimes all it takes is a wet low carb diet and a little insulin. Congratulations! We usually say OTJ (remission) 2 weeks in the OTJ range (40-120 with the majority of the time in double digits)

I can see how you would consider no insulin while you are gone. I think I'd do the same.

4. colleenlindsay

colleenlindsay Member

Stinky is on ProZinc and my vet said that a lot of cats go into remission on ProZInc. Here's hoping I can come back to you guys in a couple weeks with an OTJ icon! =)

5. Mystery

Mystery Member

My Beauregard needed insulin (and used ProZinc) for just about the same amount of time. He's been OTJ for four months now...so yes, it's definitely possible! Crossing fingers for you!

6. doombuggy

doombuggy Well-Known Member

My Cedric was on lantus for about a month.

7. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Maxwell was a Lantus boy but he went into remission after 2 weeks on insulin and has been OTJ now for a year and 3 months now. So yes it is possible...Congrats will be watching for that OTJ icon to appear. :D

Mel, Maxwell, Musette & The Fur Gang

8. Jenn & Baxter

Jenn & Baxter Well-Known Member

This is exciting!
    I agree....I would hold off on the insulin while you are away. .50 could be a lot if the cat sitter should adminster into a normal BG & not knowing the BG.

Make sure all the high carb treats are in the trash & dry food or high carb food is put up. You don't want the sitter to accidentally getting those to feed.

I will be on OTJ watch!
    Baxter & I love parties!

9. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

yay!! How exciting!!

10. RuthV

RuthV Member

Joey was on Lantus for about 2 months when his numbers warranted OTJ. A change from all dry to all wet diet I swear did the trick.

11. Maresydotes

Maresydotes Member

My Missy went OTJ one month after starting Lantus and changing to wet food. Just be aware that they can and do relapse. Not every cat, of course, but just be aware. Missy was OTJ for 4 months and has now been back on Lantus for 6 months while the vet and I try to sort out what caused the relapse. Sometimes it is teeth, an infection.....or something more difficult to find, as is Missy's case. I tested her weekly for a few months then bi-weekly and she was always in very good numbers. Then I noticed her asking for more food, checked her and she was up in the 200's. So, do testing and keep an eye out for abnormal behavior. I hope you come home to a non-insulin dependent cat!

12. SonnyB

SonnyB Member

It's absolutely possible to get OTJ very quickly. Sonny had numbers over 600 and almost died from severe hyper symptoms (which can sometimes be similar to hypo, but in our case, we don't know actual #'s because our meter stops at 600 and just says "over 600)...we had him on 5U of Humulin 2X/day for several days, then decreasing doses for several days. We closely monitored, as did our vet, and after a week, he was down to where he needed little or none. He was on insulin less than 2 weeks and is now holding steady under 75. We even had to reintroduce small amounts of dry and a little wet with gravy here and there to keep him above 50 (which is still a safe number and correlates to about 75-80 on a veterinary meter)

Basically what we have determined with our vet is that for some reason, Sonny's pancreas shut down. He became very ill and almost died. The insulin gave his pancreas a rest for a few days and basically "jump started" it back up. It appears to be working absolutely normally now. He's not certain if it's remission from actual diabetes or if something else kicked the BG up to where his body started to give out.

You know your cat. Work with a vet you trust and remember that every cat is different!! We are extremely fortunate our boy responded so well, and recognize he could relapse any time...but we don't dwell on it! If you do officially go OTJ, keep testing until you are sure the numbers are stable...then continue to test a few times a week (more if ANYTHING seems even a little off!)

Best of luck!!
    Terri & Sonny...our miracle cat!

13. colleenlindsay

colleenlindsay Member

Thanks everyone!

So I just got back from my three-day business trip and Stinky seems fine. His numbers are up a bit (181 this evening) but he has been off the insulin since Friday morning. I tested him Thursday evening and he was at 101, so I decided to let the catsitter know not to administer any insulin while I was gone at all, just to be safe. She is studying to be a vet tech so she does know the symptoms of hypo and hyperglycemia but she isn't comfortable testing blood glucose yet. Friday morning he was at 109. I tested him just before I took off for the airport.

Since he was at 181 this evening I'm going to administer half a unit and test again in the morning. Will let you know how it goes.

14. pitaess2

pitaess2 New Member

Yes, it's very possible that he could go OTJ so soon. Shadow was diagnosed with FD in July '05 and was only on insulin for 2 weeks and I still feed him a low carb diet. In Jan. '10 Shadow was diagnosed with CRF (chronic renal failure)...that's a whole new ball game.

Sonya

P.S. I've posted (in the supply closet) a box of syringes I no longer need. They are Walgreens Super Thin Syringes, .03cc. For use with U-100 insulin for 30 units or less. If anyone would like them, please leave me a message. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.