Aloe Vera for ears

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Pearl and Emily, Jul 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pearl and Emily

Pearl and Emily Member

I recently watched a youtube video in which the woman used aloe vera to 'soothe' the ears after ear pricks. Does anyone else apply anything topically AFTER to soothe the ears? In this beginning stage I am poking a LOT and if there is something out there that can help with her discomfort, I'm willing to look into it. (Yes, I am alternating ears, no she will not really tolerate a tail or paw pad prick). Thank you!

2. Rardito

Rardito Member

I have only been home testing since Sunday (newly diagnosed), but I've been putting Neosporin with Pain Relief on her ears. Not sure if it's helping at all, though. I think I read to do it before the prick, but someone more experienced please correct me if I'm wrong. Sometimes I forget and do it after the prick.

3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

I used Vaseline before, and the Neosporin ointment with pain relief after.

4. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

I've never heard of using aloe vera on the ears before. I use the Neosporin ointment with pain relief as well on Lou's ears. I could always tell when he was getting sore, but it seems to obviously soothe him after I put it on. My husband used to put it on before the poke while he was still getting the hang of things. The ointment made the blood bead so it was easier to see.

5. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Some site say that the gel of aloe vera is okay, however ...

Aloe vera latex (which is found between the outer skin and the gel) is highly toxic, mostly seen as vomiting and diarrhea.

I wouldn't take the chance. Even if the product claims it is 100% gel, the proximity of the two substances could easily lead to cross-contamination.
    images.jpeg

Harley Baby & Michele likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.