Alopecia on kitty tummy

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by paige, Aug 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Hello Everyone!!! :mrgreen:

My Civvie Chloe has three bald spots that have appeared on her belly. Specifically around her groin area. She does have a history of allergies and has received steroid shots about every three months for years. She has never showed these symptoms from her allergies though.

Have any of you experienced your kitties having bald spots on their belly that was not related to allergies? Chloe is 11 years old (persian) and I have an appt with the vet on Wed to check on these bald spots. I think with her age I am going to request that they do a work up for hormones and kidneys.

BTW - she is currently on Clavamox for a UTI (e. coli).

Any other suggestions? ((((hugs))) :YMHUG:

2. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

hi, Paige...no educational advice for you..just showing support & am thinking of u & Chloe. Sadi had some patches of balding fur on her around her leg/paws a few years ago & they couldnt identify the cause...fur grew back ; )

3. paige

paige Well-Known Member

(((((Nicole)))) thank you!!! I told her that she needs to talk to me and tell me what is wrong ;-)

4. housecats4

housecats4 Well-Known Member

Paige a few years ago our cat Schooch now 17 use to lick himself bald..I mean his tummy was smooth and the more it became bald the more he would lick..They want it to all feel the same. What I did was use some bad tasting stuff the vet uses after after surgery add a little water and pat it on the spots.It don`t hurt but will discourages from licking. Not saying this is your kitty`s problem but watch for the over licking so you can tell your vet. The vet did try pills but all that did was make him sleep a lot ,trying to break the cycle Well not much help but its something to rule out....Kath

5. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Thank you Kath. I am going to try and see if she is licking and causing this. At least I have two days to observe. :roll:

6. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

There is a thread about the same issue on Health today, posted by Bo and Jake. My civie is also barbering her hair (chewing it short), picking out tufts, and licking it bald. I am taking her to the vet tomorrow for bloodwork to rule out hyperthyroidism. It could be internal pain (she has arthritis, and has made a bald spot on her hip). In the past when this kitty had a UTI, she was licking her groin. It could be allergies, it could be behavioural, due to stress. If the steroid shot was recent, it can also cause hair to fall out.

7. housecats4

housecats4 Well-Known Member

Sending Angels and tons of Green healing light to both of your Chole & Bear to help fine their problem Good luck to both of you Hugsssssss Kath

8. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

My first thought was allergies, so it may be a new symptom. My second thought was hypo-thyroidism. So I would get her thyroid checked to be safe. I hope it is something that is easily fixed!

9. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Pauline was barbering also. And dandruff.

I have added one fish-oil capsule to her food daily.

I get them at Costco (their Kirkland brand).

After about 6 weeks, there is improvement for her dry skin.

Fewer flakes and less shedding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.