Alpha Trak meter questions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by storm, May 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. storm

storm Member

I use a ReliOn Prime meter for all my home testing however my vet is being very adamant about me using an Alpha Trak meter for Cinnamon's curve tests when I do them at home as the software program they use is specifically set up for Alpha Trak meters so when she looks at Cinn's SS, which she loves to see, she wants to be able to enter the curve test numbers into his file in their system and have the numbers be consistent with the Alpha Trak numbers/meter, otherwise I would have to bring him in so they can do a curve, using their Alpha Trak meter, which they charge 100 bucks for a curve test :nailbiting:. I asked if they have a spare meter I could use just for the curve test and was told unfortunately they stopped lending meters out as folks didn't return them or returned them damaged. I would still have to bring him in for a check up after the curve is done to check weight, thirst and urinary habits to see if his dose needs to be changed, but I would be looking at an 85 dollar bill vs 185 bill.

I know the meter and testing strips are expensive, I can get the starter kit for under 50 on Amazon but it only comes with 25 strips .. so Q1- Is it worth the cost if I am only using it for his curve tests? I figure I can order a box of 50 in a 2-3 weeks to ensure I have plenty on hand for the next curve test. Q2 - if i get the AT meter, would I enter these numbers on his current SS (for human meters) or would I have to use the SS specifically for the pet meters?

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I use an Alphatrak and love it.

Amazon's price is a good deal.... And you can get the strips quick with prime.

You can enter the numbers in your spreadsheet but make a note that it's a different meter... Maybe highlight it a different color with a comment.

storm likes this.
  3. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

1. I initially bought AT2 for testing but couldn't afford to keep up with it for daily so switched to ReliOn Confirm, kept it for curves :)
    2. You can just make a note for the day you are using AT2. Have a look at my SS. Curves are highlighted light purple :)

storm likes this.
  4. storm

storm Member

@Yong will the Freeststyle Lite Strips effect the numbers with the AT meter since they are designed for a human meter? are they cheaper then the AT strips?

5. Yong & Maury GA

They are less expensive than AT2 strips but you have to run multiple comparrisons with AT2 strips to get an idea how your meter differs them.

storm likes this.
  6. storm

storm Member

ok is there a small difference or a huge difference .. what did you find in comparing between the 2 strips? .. just so i have an idea of what to watch out for ..

7. Yong & Maury GA

Correct. One blood drop do test with AT2 strip and take another with FreeStyle Lite strip. Mine varies more than others lol. But not quite as much as human vs pet meter. Remember yours will not vary the same but my FSL strips read about 20 points lower than AT2 strips.

storm likes this.
  8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

If you are just going to use it for curves then I would just get the Alphatrak strips. Otherwise you'll have the doubt that it's accurate in your head just to save maybe a few cents each.

storm and Kris & Teasel like this.
  9. storm

storm Member

will be buying it this friday from amazon .. wont arrive until tuesday most likely and will have to wait until i have a day off to do a curve .. hope the vet doesn't mind waiting for the curve test as I refuse to have one done at their office due to expense and i have no way to get him there before or after work .. their office opens after i have to be at work and it closes before i get home and unfortunately dont have the type of job where i can come in later or leave early without having to lose the entire day of work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.