Alpha Trak strips

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Diane Tyler's Mom, Oct 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi I remember some saying they use the alpha trak monitor, but they found cheaper strips that will work with the alpha Trak monitor, just trying to find the name of them

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

This is from a post on another thread by JanetNJ : The alpha strips are expensive at about a dollar each, HOWEVER you can use Freestyle Insulinx Strips and they only cost $30 for 100. I've found them to be very accurate in the alpha meter.

FreeStyle Insulinx Blood Glucose Test Strips https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IW8TSTQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_LBCWBbKVNQZBT

Rain7 and Beck and Philly like this.
  3. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

I was noticing the strips for the alphatrak in the one video looked exactly like the ones for my freestyle lite- I was going to ask if they were similar.

4. Diane Tyler's Mom

Thank you very much

5. Diane Tyler's Mom

Thank you

6. Beck and Philly

Beck and Philly Well-Known Member

I love the InsulinX strips. They are identical to the AT ones.

Rain7 likes this.
  7. Diane Tyler's Mom

Thank you

8. Molly and Sammy

Molly and Sammy Member

And, you can get the Insulinx strips on Amazon 100 for $30! I've been using them with Alpha trak 2 with no problems at all.

Rain7 and Cindie like this.
  9. Diane Tyler's Mom

Thanks so much

10. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

This is the comparison I've done with alpha strips and insulix. Same meter and same drop of blood. A990A15C-9D5A-4AE8-B89F-7D36484C3148.jpeg

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  11. Diane Tyler's Mom

12. Diane Tyler's Mom

Thank you

13. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Thanks Janet. We are almost out of the last batch (300) of Freestyle strips. I'll give these InsuLinx strips a try.

JanetNJ and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  14. majandra

majandra Well-Known Member

When you use the insulix strips, do you have to enter the code from the bottle like on the alphatrak ones?

15. Molly and Sammy

Molly and Sammy Member

I left mine on the code that was on the meter for the AT strips. Been using Insulinx for a few weeks now, they are just fine!

JeffJ likes this.
  16. JanetNJ

There's no code so I have left it on 38 and it's been fine.

17. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi Janet, I'm also from N.J. near Giant Stadium. I'm waiting for the Alpha Trak Testing Kit to come. Like I said this is all new to me. Going to the vet this week with Tyler so my vet can let me do the BG testing. I'm nervous about pricking his ear lol. I told her about the Insulinx strips and that people are using them with the Alpha Trak Meter and they seem to be very close to the Alpha Trak strips. She said it's up to me. I guess she would have to have one of the Insulinx strips when I go see her to learn how to prick the ear to see if the reading is pretty close to the Alpha Trak strips. I saw the chart above where you showed me the comparison, so it's ok if the numbers aren't as close to the Alpha Trak on some of the numbers. I know you get some strips in the kit, so I guess I will go ahead and also buy the Insulinx strips and show my vet both readings when I test. I wish I didn't have to buy 100 of the Insulinx strips to show my vet that they are similar . Boy does this sure get expensive. Lol My other cat , Perry who is Tyler's brother has kidney disease and seizures. Thank God he is doing ok and no seizures for a long time. Stage 2 kidney disease. He is on Keppra 3 x a day and phenobarbital 2x a day to control the seizures, so between his medications, food and Tyler's diabetes the cost for his stuff you can go broke. Of course anything for my babies lol. Thanks for your help Jersey buddy lol

18. JanetNJ

Hey neighbor! I'm in North Arlington so I must be close to you!!!!

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  19. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

I'll wave to both of you next week when I'm in Tribeca Manhattan (for work). Just got Insulinx strips today. Did 2 tests, same blood drop
    freestyle lite 155, Insulinx 170
    freestyle lite 109, Insulinx 104

So close enough to pass a govt inspection. And we all know these spot tests are + or - 20% anyhow.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  20. Diane Tyler's Mom

So funny small world, I'm in Lyndhurst,N.J. lol So you are ok with the comparison even though some of the levels are not that close to the Alpha Strips. What vet do you go to if you don't mind me asking

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  21. JanetNJ

even if you took tests with alpha strips both times there would be variations like that. I do have a few boxes of alpha strips on hand If I want to double check. for the rare times my cat is low I use the genuine alpha strips.

Lyndhurst.... You are literally My neighbor. lol
    I go to Rutherford Animal Hospital

22. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hey Janet ,I guess I have a lot to learn, I'm waiting for the Altra Trak kit to arrive. I went to Rutherford Animal Hospital for years, all the way back when they used to be in Rutherford off Park Ave. I would see Dr Beeber. Then as you know they moved way back across from 7-11. I went there and stayed with Dr Beeber when I had another cat that I eventually had to put to sleep. Then I got these two guys Tyler and Perry, named them after Aerosmith, Steven and Joe lol. Then Dr Beeber sold it , it's now corporate, don't know if you knew that. I then saw Dr Sass there with Tyler and Perry when I adopted them. I saw Dr Sass for a long time,she was treating Perry for the seizures and kidnet disease. then one day I called and they said she had left. I was what! I liked her so much. Didn't know where she went. So I started seeing Dr Petrone which I liked her also. At the time she was treating Perry . Tyler didn't develop diabetes yet. Then one day my sister told me Dr Beeber bought the Carlstadt Animal Hospital and that Dr Sass was working there. My sister also has 2 cats and sees Dr Beeber there. My sister told me the prices were almost half the price than Rutherford Animal Hospital. So I started going there because I liked Dr Sass that much. Let me tell you the prices are way cheaper! So she was treating Perry and now Tyler for the diabetes. I just love her and the staff. I know Dr Beeber is there only one day a week and he still does go to Rutherford Animal also. In Carlstadt is Dr Beeber, Dr Sass and Dr Pla. I just couldn't see paying the high prices any longer at Rutherford and plus having 2 sick cats and all the blood work was really getting expensive for me. I felt bad leaving Dr Petrone but she totally understood, she is also very good friends with Dr Sass. Even Dr Petrone might hint about goingto Carlstadt Animal Hospital because they are much more reasonable. When corporate took over in Rutherford the prices were going up almost every time I took Perry there. So it was Dr Sass that diagnosed Tyler with Diabetes. I really like the whole place in Carlstadt. Just wanted to let you know that just in case you didn't know about it. Rutherford Animal Hospital is only 5 blocks from me just in case I really needed to go somewhere asap, but I'm so glad my sister told me about Dr Beeber buying Carlstadt Animal and that he actually called Dr Sass to join him there. I very happy with them.How old is you cat. Both of mine are 10 and are brothers

23. JanetNJ

The only time I had dr beeber was when I had a sick hamster as a teen. Lol. I've been going there since before their move too. Dr Petrone diagnosed CC. She cared for her the first year. Now Dr Tancredi does most of the care. She was helping me with my cat Zimmy who was ckd. I do know they are REALLY EXPENSIVE.

24. Diane Tyler's Mom

If you ever want to switch I will give you the info for Carlstadt , you will love Dr Sass. I guess if you don't have to go that often to Rutherford it's ok, but I have to go alot because of Perry with the kidney disease and his blood work . The same blood work I had done at Rutherford when Dr Petrone took care of him for the kidneys and seizures cost me around 400.00. Then when I went to Carlstadt , the same blood work it was 199.00

JanetNJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.