1. Are you getting a server error? It should be solved. Email webmaster@felinediabetes.com if you're still having trouble!

Alpha Trak test trips for lower price!!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (The Main Forum)' started by Maestro's Mom, Oct 14, 2019.

  1. Maestro's Mom

    Maestro's Mom Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    Stressedcatmom likes this.
  2. FurBabiesMama

    FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2017
  3. Maestro's Mom

    Maestro's Mom Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2018
    Thanks. I will compare with AlphaTrak2 strips
     
  4. Diane Tyler's Mom

    Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2018
    Hi I was just reading about reviews on the Pet Sure test strips and most of them were way off, and a lot of them did not register, I just wouldn't feel comfortable trusting them going by the reviews ,but thanks for the info
     
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    Kate & Toby likes this.
  5. JanetNJ

    JanetNJ Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2016
    I use freestyle insulinx strips in alpha. I get them for about 12-15$ for 50
     
  6. ELLIOTT & Fran Munschauer

    ELLIOTT & Fran Munschauer Member

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2016
    Update: I now have 5 Alphatrak meters and have had it... with wondering if they are accurate especially with the Code changes from vial to vial. PETSURE is very good. I use FS lite, insulinX but still use AlphaTrak for 4 tests/day and the others for the other 4 tests /day out of fear that it seems to be the meter and strips that is advocated by almost everyone. Does anyone ever wonder WHY we change codes for the FS and InsulinX strips since their manufacturing has nothing to do with that of Alphatrak strips? I think I will keep 36-37 for FS and FI regardless of what I set Alphatrak strip meter at...BTW Petsure works well for me ..set @ 2-3....
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...AN6D_M3AYT6_kgqbHE7JWo6kSM/edit#gid=811447094
     
  7. Marje and Gracie

    Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

    Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    I don’t know anything about Pet Sure test strips but I’d like to make a few points

    • Amazon does not verify the products their vendors send out. I never buy anything to do with health from Amazon and I wouldn’t buy test strips for two reasons: (1) they could be knock offs from China and (2) the Pet Sure strips aren’t made by the company that makes the strips.
    • The strips you buy should be made by the company that made the meter and should be compatible with it, for safety reasons.
    • The FS strips are for human meters. The AT2 is a pet meter. The company that now makes the AT is not the same company that makes the FS strips. One might run comparisons between the FS strips in the AT and the AT strips in the AT and feel they are similar but it only takes one test that is incorrect to potentially kill your cat.
    • If you were a human diabetic using a FS meter, would you test your own blood using AT2 strips? Because if you have an AT2 meter and are testing your cat with FS strips used for human blood, you are doing the same thing.
    • Cat blood and human blood are different; the FS strips are for human meters calibrated for human blood, not pet blood. Again, it takes only one incorrect test to potentially kill your cat.
     
    Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  8. MrWorfMen's Mom

    MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    The AT2 meter although now marketed by Zoetis is still manufactured by ABBOTT. The AT2 meter is the old Freestyle Freedom Lite meter with different algorithms to deal with animal vs. human blood values. Zoetis has always been a partner in the AT2 meter since it was brought to market. They contracted ABBOTT to manufacture the AT2 meter. When ABBOTT closed down it's Animal Division, Zoetis bought back the marketing rights. Zoetis is not in the business of manufacturing glucometers.

    The strips for the AT2 meter are the same strips as those sold for the Insulinx and Freestyle human meters. The difference is that the strips branded as AT2 strips are batch tested to determine which code on the AT2 meter will elicit the most accurate lab equivalent results. That is why different AT2 vials have different codes and the meter code must be changed to match each new vial of AT2 strips.

    At this time we are aware of 8 different cat codes......07, 08, 14, 22, 37, 38, 92, 93. There may be more. Therefore anytime you are using strips branded for the Insulinx or Freestyle human meters, you stand at best a 12.5% chance of getting the most accurate result possible leaving an 87.5% chance that your result is not as accurate as it could be. How far off the reading is, is an unknown which when dealing with low BG readings is not something I would personally be comfortable with.
     
  9. Marje and Gracie

    Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

    Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    Thank you, Linda. Can you provide a link showing Abbott still makes the AT2, please? I can’t find anything that indicates that and I remember a discussion with Jill where she brought up the point that the manufacturer had changed to Zoetis. Several of us recall a post where she discussed using FS strips in an AT member but we can’t find the post....yet:)

    At the time I was using the AT2, I believe there was also an 80 code. But that’s been some time ago.
     
  10. Diane Tyler's Mom

    Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2018
    I agree with MrWorfMen'sMom and Marje and Gracie .



    Hi I was just reading about reviews on the Pet Sure test strips and most of them were way off, and a lot of them did not register, I just wouldn't feel comfortable trusting them going by the reviews ,but thanks for the info
     
  11. MrWorfMen's Mom

    MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2015
    @Marje and Gracie I had several discussions with Jill about the research I did into the AT2 meter and as you well know, a lot of times you can get verbal information but not written confirmation of anything due to what company's consider to be proprietary property. Through covert questioning calls to both the Animal and Human divisions of Abbott, a call to Health Canada, checking of patents etc., it is clear that ABBOTT owns all the patents on the AT2 meter as the majority of the patents for the AT2 meter are identical to those of the Freestyle Freedom Lite meter still in use by ABBOTT . The same holds true for the strips. Due to shared patents and obviously quality control issues, it makes no sense to think the AT2 meter would suddenly be manufactured by another company which would then render quality control questionable given the meter has to meet patent standards and still uses the Freestyle strips. In other words, ABBOTT is still involved in the background as a partner but not in the marketing of the product. If ABBOTT had totally relinquished it's interests, and Zoetis couldn't buy out the patents because they are still in use by ABBOTT, they would have had to start from scratch which they obviously wouldn't since they have always owned a piece of the product from the beginning.
     
  12. Marje and Gracie

    Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

    Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    Thank you.
     
  13. Kathy & MiddieMittens

    Kathy & MiddieMittens Member

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2019
  14. FurBabiesMama

    FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2017

Share This Page