? Alpha Trak vs the On sync

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ferndoc, Jan 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ferndoc

Ferndoc Member

So my vet bugged me. She thinks I should be using an Alpha Trak instead of my On sync so I relented and got one on Amazon. What bugs me about this is that while she is insisting I use a pet meter, they don't use one at the vet. They used a one touch. I expected a difference but it was much larger then expected about 100 points with Fern being High. However, when I tested using the test solution my Onsync was just out of the test range for the Control solution 93-95 for the Onsync. For the Alpha trak it says that the control solution means a good strip if it falls between 100-185. My Alpha Trak was at 138. What confuses me is how can the control solution have such a large range. My other meter almost falls into it. Yes I know control solutions are brand specific according to them which I also don't get, it's sugar water. Now I'm so confused and don't know if I can rely on my cheaper to operate meter that I like or not. Advise would be appreciated. Should I go get a relion and see how they compare. I know many use and have been happy with it. I did have some "Amazon points" and have bought some more strips but like I said I'm so confused now.

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I have to admit I too find it rather interesting.... even strange....that your vet would recommend the AlphaTrak meter if they are using a One Touch human meter. I think that is a question only your vet can answer as it would seem they are familiar with the differences in the readings and comfortable working with a human meter.

The difference in the readings between pet and human meters is not a straight linear or % calculation. I have found the difference seems to be greater the higher the reading but there is no simple math calculation to translate one to the other. Even two human meters will not read exactly the same so buying another meter is only going to add to the confusion. It is best to pick a meter and stick with it. The consistency of your readings is the important factor here rather than which type of meter you choose to use. Just make sure your vet knows which meter you are using.

You didn't say which test solution you were using but since you got a AlphaTrak kit and human meters do not usually come with test solution, I assume you used the AT control solution. I presume the difference between control solutions is, at least in part, the sugar concentration. There may be other chemicals in the different solutions that could also skew results. The larger control range on the AlphaTrak meter is because the meter has to be coded to read different types of animal blood all of which have their own "normal" ranges, so the test range has to include a larger number of possible ranges. Technically it might be possible to say if the meter is set on code "X" the control range is between Y and Z but given the number of possible codes in the meter, the list would be too long and much more confusing so they have just combined them into one large range.

Your human meter will work just fine and will definitely be the more economical choice. The strips for the AT meter are expensive. Not sure what they cost in the US but here in Canada, they are more than double the cost of those for average priced meter strips. The AT strips are not readily available at your local pharmacy and will have to be purchased through the vet's office or online so you will need to ensure you reorder in plenty of time to avoid not having strips when and if you really need them.

All the reference numbers in the documentation on this board are based on human meter readings unless specifically stated otherwise so if your vet does have any reservations about you using a human meter, you could print off some of the documentation so they can familiarize themselves with the references used here.

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. Ferndoc

Ferndoc Member

At this point I will keep using my human meter. I am happy with it and feel good about it after my first fiasco. Also for me personally the AlphaTrak is more difficult to use. Fern cannot stand the beep of the AlphaTrak. It is too loud and using the meter on silent I find it hard to too tel if and when I get the strip into a sample. With my current meter I can "see" the blood getting sucked into the strip and so I know I got the strip at the right angle. This morning when I was comparing I was swearing because I used my human meter first and was trying for the same track of blood and I think missing. All of a sudden I looked at the meter and there was a number.

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Use what ever meter you are comfortable with. I use AT. My is on Mark with outside lab. Had routine labs done on 12/30. My reading at home before appt was 219. Two hours later blood drawn at vet and to lab was 220. And this blood draw was the worst time ever. Never again will I let the techs do it.

5. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

I also use AT and the last blood we had done on a cbc was 220 on the nose--my vet was even surprised-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.