ALPHATRAC Meter Beginning Monitoring

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Marie&HerCats RUSTY, May 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marie&HerCats RUSTY

Marie&HerCats RUSTY Member

Hi, received my Alphatrac and look forward to using it
    I'm familiarizing myself (AKA trying to figure out!)
    Template and examples help.
    Today I will start monitoring with meter and will be able to use spreadsheet more completely
    Advice, comments, suggestions welcome!

2. mouse16

mouse16 Member

Hi Marie,
    I find the Alphatrak meter easy to use, and I use the lancet device. A tip for the lancet device is to press it quite alot into the ear, that gets better blood drop, and to prick the outer edge of ear.

Here is my method:

warm kittys ear by rubbing it (some people use warm water in a pill bottle etc)

stroke tiny bit of oil (i use coconut oil but any is ok) on outer edge of ear

hold a wad of cotton wool or folded paper towel behind his ear

push the meter test strip all the way in

use lancet device , press relatively hard with the round tip onto edge of ear

sometimes need to squeeze ear to get more blood

when a tiny droplet is seen, hold the black tip of test strip to it till meter goes beep

if it doesnt beep there isnt enough blood and you have 60 seconds to prick again and put strip to drop again

beep - reading!

Lots of luck to you!

Marie&HerCats RUSTY likes this.
  3. Marie&HerCats RUSTY

Marie&HerCats RUSTY Member

Thank you! Poor Rusty now has pin holes in his ear. So this will help,

4. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Great that you’ve gotten your meter:cat: Look forward to seeing Rusty’s numbers. Warm ears and 26 gauge lancets are two things that will help you get a good blood drop. Good luck!

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Good luck. I like my alpha meter despite the cost. I like the accuracy of it. I have a video in my signature showing how I test my cat CC at home with the alpha. If you need help just ask

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.