AlphaTrak 2 E2 question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by David Lasker, Jun 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Lasker

David Lasker New Member

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to ask equipment questions; if there is a better forum for this purpose please let me know.

I am just getting started with home testing of my cat Ali. I have an AlphaTrak 2 meter and am using it with AlphaTrak 2 test strips.

I have the following issue with the meter:
    1. I insert a test strip in the meter, it displays the code number, and then the ready screen with the blood drops. If I get a reading before the meter shuts off, everything is OK.
    2. If the meter times out and shuts off, I remove the test strip and push it back in.
    3. The meter then displays "Er2" instead of the code number.
    4. After a couple of seconds, the display changes to the ready screen with the blood drops.
    Does this happen to anyone else? Is it OK to use the strip after seeing the Er2 as long as the ready screen appears?

I also notice if I remove the strip after seeing Er2, let it rest a few minutes, and then insert it into the meter, everything is back to normal, with the meter displaying the strip code before the ready screen.

To be on the safe side I have been using another strip when this happens, but it would be much easier if I didn't have to juggle a meter, strips, and a wriggly cat all at the same time :)

Thanks for the help!

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

As long as you didn't get blood on it, you can use the strip and try again. What you could do though is insert the strip but not push it all the way in until you see the drop begin to form.

3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

That seems odd. I do not think I have ever seen a 'Er2'. The documentation says that means:
    * There may be a problem with the test strip
    * Meter error
    * Very high blood glucose higher than 750md/dL

Since you have not even put blood on it when you get that, you know it is not that last one. I would go ahead and use a strip after that happens and see if the number looks good. The documentation suggested doing a control solution test, so if you have solution, you could do that. It says if the control solution result is out of range or if the error reappears to contact Customer Care.

4. David Lasker

David Lasker New Member

At the risk of displaying my own idiocy, I decided to come clean and explain the cause and solution of my problem.

First, the meter was not displaying "Er2", it was displaying "E2". While I first noticed the E2 when re-inserting a timed out strip, I started seeing at at other times as well. Once, while trying to get a reading from Ali I went through several strips, all of which displayed E2.

I did a Google search for this error and found nothing. I was ready to call Zeotis tech support, but it was night time and they were closed. However, I suddenly got a flash of insight and figured out the problem:

The test strips that were included with my meter kit use code 23. If you hold the meter upside down, it reads as E2. Turning the meter right side up fixes the problem.

I hope this saves someone from making the same dumb mistake I did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jill & Alex (GA) and JeanW like this.
  5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Omg I am sorry but that’s funny. Lol

6. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

THAT IS HILARIOUS! And, you are awesome for sharing that as I think most would have kept that one to themselves. :D

JanetNJ likes this.
  7. JeanW

JeanW Member

Thank you for sharing! :)

8. Rardito

Rardito Member

Haha I'm sure you aren't the first person to do that. Funny story though :)

9. Beck and Philly

Beck and Philly Well-Known Member

This made my morning! Thanks for "coming clean" and giving us smiles!

10. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.