AlphaTrak 2 vs Freestyle Lite

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kelsey R, Nov 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kelsey R

Kelsey R Member

I know there are million comments about the differences between pet and human meters, but... i am horribly indecisive and my home glucometer broke over the holiday week. In my research, I've narrowed it down to these two: AlphaTrak 2 and Freestyle Lite. Both require only 0.3 microliters of blood. I really want to make sure I give Loki the best care. So, apples to apples. Is the AlphaTrak a better glucometer for cats? If it is, I'll get it. If the human meter really is comparable, then that's an easier approach.
    Thanks!!

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

As a pet meter an AlphaTRak will read higher than the Freestyle Lite human meter. ALL human meters will read lower than a pet meter but the difference is much smaller at low BGs and significantly larger at high BGs. The problem is the cost of AlphaTrak test strips. If that's not an obstacle for you, get the AlphaTrak. Your vet will prefer it. The Freestyle Lite is a great meter - needs only a tiny drop, reads fast, almost never gives an error message, etc. It's known to read on the low side so this has to be taken into account if you use it. It's the meter I use.

Most of us here eventually go to a human meter because using an AT meter is too darned expensive. You have to wrap your head around using a meter to get a sense of the BG patterns rather than worrying about whether it's exactly the right BG reading. All the dosing advice given here includes human meter guidelines. Basically you need to know what's too high, OK and too low on your particular meter. That's it.

Once you decide on a meter, work with that meter only. Don't have two meters and do constant side by side comparisons - it'll make you crazy. If your vet insists on looking only at AT meter numbers buy one for vet curves and buy a cheaper to use human meter day for to day.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    Indigo and Kelsey R like this.
  3. Kelsey R

Kelsey R Member

Thanks, @Kris & Teasel! I'm not really interested in what my vet prefers (not to be catty), but she said it was fine to check his BG once a week or so. My gut said the Freestyle Lite. I'm happy to see that's what you use too! Thanks for making this so much easier for me (and hopefully I can find some cyber monday sales! :))

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Glad I could help! :)

5. Molly and Sammy

Molly and Sammy Member

If you decide want a pet meter, the Alpha Trak 2 will work with Insulinx strips - $30 for 100 on Amazon. There is a thread here where several people suggested these strips. I use the AT because my vet reviews my spreadsheets frequently to consider dosage changes (at no charge!) and she prefers it. I do have a human meter as backup, though I haven't used it yet - I'm a bit obsessive about plan b's.

6. Debra and Yoyo

Debra and Yoyo Well-Known Member

Hi, I was reading about the Alphatrak2 test strips. Have you started using the Insulinx test strips yet? Have you compared the strips when testing to see if there is a difference in the BG count? The cost of the Alphatrak2 is so expensive. I called the company and they said that there is no other test strip to be used with the Alphatrak2 that they are aware of. Please let me know you think of the Insulinx test strips....thank you!

7. Molly and Sammy

Molly and Sammy Member

Hi Debra! I've been using them for a month now. Somewhere on this site there is a thread where someone posted comparatives between the two - maybe search Insulinx? I did ten tests using both strips, and the difference was very minor. I've since had no problems, and with Amazon Prime shipping us free and fast. Good lyck!

8. Debra and Yoyo

Debra and Yoyo Well-Known Member

Did you change the code? I use code 37 for the Alphatrak2.

9. Molly and Sammy

Molly and Sammy Member

My AT was on 38, and I just left it there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.