? Alphatrak

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lily-Fish, Mar 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lily-Fish

Lily-Fish Member

Does anyone know if I can buy an Alphatrak BG monitor from any of the pharmacies in the US? Currently in NY so was wondering. My BG monitor is so wholly unreliable the cat hotel used it on her this morning, it said 40 and they did it on theirs and it said 400!

2. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

They used to sell them at some Walmart stores but not anymore. If there are other pharmacies that sell the AT I am unaware of them. The only places I know of where you can buy them now are online sites and vets' offices (if you buy it from a vet it will probably cost you more $$). They run around $55.00-60.00 online.

3. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

What brand of human meter are you using? That much variance is ridiculous! I use Walmart's Relion Confirm human meter, never had an issue with it.

4. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

I was wondering from your other post if your meter was not giving you accurate numbers, because they seemed odd. I would try a more dependable brand meter? The drug store generic brand meters have not had the best track record. I've used the Aviva AccuChek for a very long time without any issues, and I think you can easily get that meter and strips in the UK. Or you can go with the Alphatrak, but keep in mind that the strips are pricy and you have to buy them online or from the vet.

When you get back, you may need to work on adjusting the dose up to where it's effective--I would question all of those weird, fast drops as meter error.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

The best deal you'll get for an Alphatrak 2 starter kit is from animeddirect.co.uk. They're also the least expensive for test strips. Buy Abbot Freestyle 28 gauge lancets from ebay uk or amazon uk depending on which site has the best deal when you need to purchase. The Freestyle lancets are identical to the Alphatrak-badged ones and fit the lancing device perfectly. (I like the lancing device. I freehand the actual poke but, because my hands shake, having the lancet held in the poking device gives me better control over the aim and execution of the poke.)

Alphatrak 2 Starter Kit - Animed Direct

Current best deals on Freestyle Lancets - (as at time of posting)

I've got an Accu-Check Aviva monitor as a back-up. I've only used it in trial mode to make sure that trend-wise it followed my Alphatrak meter. I was happy with the results from the Aviva (and especially when it comes to Saoirse's well-being I don't please easy) but because of my anxiety disorders the Alphatrak gives me greater peace of mind so I'm willing to pay the premium associated with using it as her main meter.

Mogs

6. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

@Critter Mom This may be a silly question, but if you use the Freestyle human strips in the AlphaTrak animal glucometer, which results are shown? Human or animal?

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

The math in the meter is based on the code entered. So if the code is for a cat, you get a cat result.

8. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

So, I can use either code 38 or 93 on the AlphaTrak and use Freestyle strips and still get the cat result? I thought it was the strips that were coded rather than the meter as the code to use comes on the strips, not the meter.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  9. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The meter is coded since each lot of strips may have different characteristics and the code accounts for the difference in performance between lots of strips.
    Regarding what code to use with FreeStyle strips see:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/alphatrak-test-strips.138620/
    In any event one should verify a code by taking a BG reading use an AlphaTrac strip with its code and a FreeStyle strip wit is code.

10. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Glad to see you got replies from other members, Sue; I'd have been no help because I only use Alphatrak 2 test strips.

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.