Also newly diagnosed

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Debbie Gregory, Aug 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Nice run of numbers. If her BG is any indication, it looks like the infection has likely been licked! If she can stay in those numbers for 14 days without insulin, you can declare her OTJ. If you can try to get 2 tests in each day, you'll be sure she is not having any rogue numbers! Fingers crossed! :)

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

The blues are nice, Deb! Our reference for remission is between 40 - 120 off insulin for 2 weeks and she is higher than that. I hope some AT users like @Carol & Murphy and @Robin&BB will chime in. It seems she may need some tiny doses of insulin, but I am unsure about shooting in the 150s/160s on an AT.

We could only get urine samples when we put Oliver in a room with a clean box filled with aquarium gravel. He'd have to christen the clean box and then we could swoop in and get our sample.

3. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Normal range on the AT2 meter would 72 - 175 so right now Dirty Butt has a good start on an OTJ trial!

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

That's what I needed to know. Thanks, Linda.

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  5. Debbie Gregory

Debbie Gregory Member

Do I dare to hope?????????????

She is still pudgy so that could change and maybe lower it a little bit more. I've thrown so many changes at her that I haven't been trying to make her lose weight. I just wanted her to stabilize first.

Why is the AT2 meter's normal numbers different from the standard that caps at 120? I'm happy, it works for me -- but I'm curious.

6. Sue and Oliver (GA)

The AT meter reads higher than ReliOn. So 68 on a pet meter is comparable to 50 on a human meter. The easy answer is that one is meant for humans; one for cats. But since the costs are so much more for the AT, lots of people work with the human meter.

7. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Well, maybe this is a remission. Those numbers look good. I don't know about Sheba. But it is important to find a low carb, high protein diet.

8. Debbie Gregory

Debbie Gregory Member

I'm only giving Sheba to my old cat, he is in the last stages of renal failure and he gets anything he wants. He is finicky and really loves it, so I am trying to find out what the carb count is on the pate. I didn't see it on the list of cat foods on this site.

9. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Per this food post

A FMDB member emailed them and received:
    "The typical analysis for the Sheba Pate is: 13.7% protein, 6.9% fat, 0.14% fiber, 2.50% ash, 75.90% moisture on an as fed basis. I hope this information helps."

Further in the thread, someone commented that Sheba pate is low carb and fine for diabetic cats. I'm just listing stuff others posted, but I don't know further details. I totally understand how it is with finicky cats, especially when they are in those final stages.

10. Debbie Gregory

Debbie Gregory Member

Woo Hoo! Seven days with no insulin and her number was 113 this morning!

I'm daring to hope she will only have one major illness instead of two.

11. dmc

dmc New Member

I can relate to Debbie. It has been a week and making sure my 14 yr old cat eats enough for insulin is a very difficult process! When the vet sent me home he did not mention eating enough before the insulin, I learned about it by reading everything I could. The Mississippi State University Vet School Emergency Clinic is on call 24/7, everyday. They helped me make some decisions this past weekend. I am so nervous!

12. Debbie Gregory

Debbie Gregory Member

My vet handed me a standard printout about diabetes and asked me if I had any questions. That was it. I didn't know what questions to ask, as my cat had been diagnosed only the day before. I was a nervous wreck, afraid to do anything because I didn't really know the consequences. If it wasn't for this forum, I still wouldn't know anything. It was so comforting to have someone that understood and would answer questions as they came up. My regular vet just wasn't available most of the time.

13. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi @dmc why don't you start your own thread and tell us about your kitty. Maybe we can help you.

14. Debbie Gregory

Debbie Gregory Member

Thank you for the information. Since I'm not sure of the carb count, I don't want to upset the progress with Dirty Butt at this time, so she isn't getting any Sheba for now. The amazing thing is how my oldest kitty is reacting to Sheba. He is finicky and will walk away from something he doesn't like even if he is hungry. He has been losing almost a 1/2 pound a month for months now. I sit on the floor with him and his food, put it on the plate the way he wants, because if his nose goes into the food, he will quit. Half the time I feed him off the spoon so his nose won't touch it. He will walk away and I follow him and try again when he stops. This usually goes on for about 10 minutes. The fact is, if he doesn't eat, that will be the end of him. I started giving him Sheba this week. He eats a whole half can at a time! All of a sudden he isn't sleeping as much, he is marching around the house instead of slowly moving, he is taking an interest in birds outside the windows. My jaw dropped this morning when he actually tried to run. This cat has a bad front leg so he limps and no muscle and arthritis in his back and hips. It was a weird lurching, but he was trying to run! LOL

Sue and Oliver (GA) and Sharon14 like this.
  15. dmc

dmc New Member

I take Ozzy, my 14 yr old, back to the vet Friday. I am concerned that he is not eating enough to take the insulin. Just a week ago before diagnosis he was eating fine! He is on kd feline for his kidneys and I am giving him any canned Fancy Feast he will eat. Any thoughts on this. I am ,too, a nervous wreck....I am afraid to leave the house!

16. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi @dmc , I see you're in MS, so am I! If you start a new thread, it will be easier for us to help you. Go to the Health forum, or ProZinc forum, http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/feline-health-the-main-forum.28/ Or http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/forums/prozinc-pzi.24/
    At the top right hand you will see 'post new thread' click on that and start a thread about Ozzy. There are lots of people that have kitty's with kidney problems and diabetes and they will be glad to help you. In the meantime, take a deep breath, you've come to the right place!

17. Debbie Gregory

Debbie Gregory Member

dmc -- Starting a new thread is what I did when I first started here...and that was only two weeks ago. These people have years of experience. Let them know all about your Ozzy, how he was diagnosed, what his numbers are, and if you are home testing. The more information they have, the better they can help.

Sharon14 likes this.
  18. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hi DMC! Generally, with prozinc, as long as he eats some you're good. Does he eat some and then later go back and finish it?

As Debbie and Sharon said, if you'll start your own thread, you'll get more eyes on it. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.