"Alternative" litters - which are good?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Traci and Boomer, Aug 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

Hi! I'm thinking of switching to a clumping litter that's not clay. Merlin is a bit on the messy side and it's getting all over. Has anyone ever tried the wheat ones or anything else that they'd reccommend? I've tried Feline Pine and it's gross. It smells. Yuck! Merlin traveled from Virginia to MA with "Yesterday's News" but the shelter uses that only because it's HUGE chuncks and doesn't make a mess. She doesn't use it otherwise. Any suggestions for a litter that's not clay but does clump?

2. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

I use the cheap stuff from walmart. special kitty. I would not try the corn based ect cause cats tend to eat it cause it tastes so good. saw the commercial and they ate it to show it is people stuff corn based

3. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

I love the corn cat litter, but so does Tucker so we don't use it :roll:

4. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

same story here. meowzi loves it too well :roll:

5. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

We use the corn litter - World's Best Cat Litter, and love it. None of my cats eat it. Very very low dusting, which is great for Oscar's asthma since litter seems to be one of his triggers. There is a rebate right now that will get you one of the small bags for free. The bag is enough for 1 litter box. Might be worth trying to see if he eats the litter or not.

6. Traci and Boomer

confused_cat
    Cat's are little freaks sometimes!!!
    That's all I'd freakin' need is him eating his cat litter.
    He won't eat his dry food so maybe he'd eat corn cat litter. No thanks.

Isn't there a wheat one out there? Maybe that one tastes good too? :YMSIGH:

7. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

I use the corn based litters too. Neither of my cats ever attempted to eat it and both loved corn.

8. Becky and AJ (GA)

Becky and AJ (GA) Member

AJ also eats the World's Best so I don't use it. I too use the regular Special Kitty from Wal-Mart. Low dust and no smell at a decent price. I tried the Special Kitty with crystals and it seemed to have more dust than the regular. That's my opinion.

Becky and AJ

9. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

I've tried sweatscoop (probably the best wheat litter out there). To me, it had a stronger smell than WBCL, and tended to clump in a sticky mess rather than tightly like WBCL does. But there are several people here and on the asthma lists that use that litter as well.

10. Carol & Yoshi

Carol & Yoshi Well-Known Member

Used to use So-wheat which stuck to the bottom of the box horribly until I began mixing it with a paper based litter. But it got too pricely. After a litter discussion on the old board, we switched to Dr. Elsey's on Dr. Lisa's recommendation and it's the best litter we've used. Even DH doesn't mind cleaning the box at times. It is clay based but low dust and just not wasting litter except for the clumps. What about a roomier litterbox?

11. Traci and Boomer

Hi Carol-

My LB is huge; it's not really that. He seems to get litter stuck to his big feets. The idea of wheat or corn being tracked around my house (and bed pillow) seems nicer than clay - which is really dirt, isn't it? :roll:

12. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Traci
    There is a wheat one. I think its called Sweets wheat, something like that.
    I used it quiet a bit a while ago when max was peeing on the floor.
    I still had some bags I never threw out and figured I would let Izzy (my new kitten)
    try it out.
    The clumps are not crazy hard but I have 4 cats, so it might not be too bad
    for Merlin.
    No one here has ever ate any litter.
    The smell is nice, just fresh/sweet - not scented. No dust but you still get some
    outside the box.
    Try out a small bag, you never know.

13. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

Not all clay litters are created equal. I use Everclean and it gives great odor control, clumps like a dream and is more like sand or crushed marble which I don't associate with dirt. To deter tracking I use doormats at the exit point and keep a whisk broom and dustpan at every box.

14. kryskat

kryskat Well-Known Member

My 2 cents: I was having issues with my Dr. Elsey's turning into concrete in the corners and sides of the box, which is where they always aim... However, I started mixing it with the World's Best and it is now the best litter ever! I use maybe 75% of the WBCL with 25% Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat and no problems at all - litter doesn't stick to the box anymore. It's great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.