AM BG higher than PM BG, why?

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by Charlotte & Prop, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlotte & Prop

Charlotte & Prop Member

Hi everybody

Prop have had pretty good numbers for a little over a month now and not recieving any insulin. In the beginning of her OTJ period, she had really good green numbers morning and evening and then she got some kind of infection (vomiting and diarrhea) and had a vet visit. Her numbers raised during the infection and a lot at the vet visit. but began to come back down last week. Since then, for the last week there have been a bigger difference in am and pm numbers than earlier. Why is that? Can I do anything to get her am number a bit down. She is pretty much between 120 and 130 in the am and a little below 100 in the pm.
    I feed her four times a day 50 grams each time with wet food, with around 5.5% carbs. The feeding is as followring: 6.30 am, 12.30 pm, 5.30 pm and 11.00 pm.

Sorry for any wrong spelling but I guess you understand this better than if I write in Danish :)

Thanks.

2. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Do a google search on "dawn phenomenon."

Basically the body is getting ready for the day so BGs are higher in the morning. You'll find a lot of information if you google that term.

3. Charlotte & Prop

Charlotte & Prop Member

Thanks I have checked it out at it seems like it is prette normal. I guess it is just the fear of the cat going back to insulin that is haunting me.If she just was below 100 all the time I would relax a little more :)

4. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Is the infection cleared up? Pain, infection even something like the kitty needing a dental can cause higher BGs.

Are you checking the BG before or after food. Sometimes the BGs could go up due to food. I have a cat off insulin, Bean, I checked her a few nights ago and she was at 60 so I was pretty happy to see that. Are your test strips fresh?

I do remember when Tucker(GA) went off honeymoon and needed insulin again, so I understand your fear, it's not something you want, but for right now your numbers aren't terrible. Maybe you could try a lower carb food or run some bloodwork to make sure the infection is gone or check for any other medical conditions. Usually when a cat goes back on insulin there's an underlying cause.

Let's hope your kitty's higher BGs is transient.

5. Charlotte & Prop

Charlotte & Prop Member

I had bloodwork done just a week ago and all came back good except for the creatinin level wich was in the high of the normal area. But that shouldn't have anything to say I think. She also got x-rays, her teeth checked and a general check and the vet found nothing wrong with her. But she seems active, playfull and happy and with good numbers in the evening. This morning her numbers was 106 so maybe we are on the way down again. I only check her BG in the morning now since I know it is the highest at this time, she seems happy about not being poked all the time now.
    I used to feed her food with only 3.3 % carbs, but since I now have to think about her kidneys as well the food I have found have 5.5% carbs and not to high a protein and phosphoros level.
    I keep my fingers crossed and hope we never have to go back, but if we do, I deal with that as well. Her being happy and feeling good is what matters.

6. Charlotte & Prop

Charlotte & Prop Member

I forgot. I check her BG before her breakfast and the test strips (bayer contour) are fresh :)

7. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Nothing to add, but good luck -- sounds like you are on the right track with these numbers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.