AM PEAKS AND VALLEYS DRIVING ME NUTS?!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by beene5052, Oct 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beene5052

beene5052 Member

Cole's numbers are really peaks and valleys, especially in the AM. We are going from blue numbers too low to shoot to Reds. I know it's early but I can't really get a handle on this bouncing thing. Can anyone help with following me with his dosing? I'm so depressed - are we in a low to bouncing pattern here? I do not no where to go from here.

We seem to be at the same place we were three weeks ago.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Please don't be depressed. It really does take time...often months...to start to regulate a kitty, or to just get used to the patterns you're seeing. Right now your kitty is getting nice responses to the insulin which is great to see. The more time a cat spends in those blues and greens, the better chance they have of healing a bit, which will start to bring those PS numbers done. But just like he didn't become a diabetic overnight, it takes awhile to begin the healing process. It looks like you are monitoring, and trying to be careful with the doses, and I can tell from your post that you love your kitty very much and want him to feel well. That's the best any of us can do.

So please be encouraged, and keep posting, and keep testing, and just try to be patient. You're doing well.

3. beene5052

beene5052 Member

Thank you. I see you consistently "shoot" in the below 200 BG's or in the blues. Cole's only good day was when I shot him in those numbers (see Spreadsheet). Every time he gets in the blues I stall and stall to no avail so I NS and he is in the reds by PMPS or AMPS. Is it that I must get used to shooting in the blues and test, at +3 and +5, +6 to start seeing some healing numbers? Any advice would be so appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  4. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Yep, you're doing the right stuff. It can be very challenging indeed. With Leo, I had similar issues. I just made a sliding chart at one point to determine his dose. Now he is more regulated.

I never dose below 200. (well sometimes 195). But I also monitor food intake. If Leo eats less for even 1/2 day, then I take that into account. If you dose below 200, you do risk a hypo. To me it is not worth the risk. One alternative is to feed at PMPS then check 90 minutes later. Then give a reduced dose if Cole is 200+. That part is easier for me since Leo is a high-dose kitteh.

You are keeping your chart updated, and you have a good dosing protocol. I would say that Cole is one lucky kitteh.

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

If you want to calm the drastic up and downs you could try lowering to 0.75 for a few days and see what happens.

JeffJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.