? Amethyst Giarrizzo Closed Left Eye??

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Pamela & Amethyst, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

Hi .This is my first time posting here. Any advice would be appreciated. Since Wednesday night whenever Amethyst falls asleep on her left eye and wakes up the eye is closed. We had our Vet here early Friday morning she said everything looked fine? She said I could apply warm compress to the eye and help her open it if needed However she said if it continues she will have to do a Neurological Exam of Amethysts Face. My question is does the Acromegaly Tumor affect eyes? Thanks!!

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Yes, pituitary tumours, if big enough, can press on the optic chiasm.

3. Pamela & Amethyst

Hi Thank you again for getting back to me. So what can be done? I have been praying everyday for the Money to get her Radiation:( Angel Memorial in Boston, Ma. charges $10,000.00 that is where we would go because she would not be able to tolerate any more distance than that. Is there anything else I can do in the mean time? Is a Neurological Exam necessary? It is an added expense and the money should go towards her SRT treatment, right? Her eye opens after about a minute of waking up I have been putting the warm compress on it because she seems to like it. Thank you:bighug:

4. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ana & Frosty (GA) Well-Known Member

So the optic nerve that is next to the pituitary gland ( cranial nerve #2) is the one responsible for SEEING.

The nerve responsible for eye OPENING, at least in humans, is cranial nerve #5 also known as the Trigeminal nerve. It originates further away from the pituitary in the brain.

Again, this is all info based on human anatomy and physiology. But if the eye only stays closed after she sleeps on that side and then opens within a minute, it doesn’t really sound neurological. I agree with the vet that maybe she has some discharge from the eye that’s causing it to stick closed after she wakes up. I would try the warm compress and see how she does. I’m not familiar with what a neurologic exam involves in cats.

Bronx's dad (GA) likes this.
  5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I like that suggestion of possible discharge Ana, soft tissue growth can block the tear ducts, it did with Neko, causing one eye to be occasionally weepy.

Ana & Frosty (GA) likes this.
  6. Pamela & Amethyst

7. Pamela & Amethyst

Hi Ana How are you? Thank you for this information!!:bighug::bighug: I tested her eye sight with information I got online she is seeing fine Thank God!

Bronx's dad (GA) likes this.
  8. Pamela & Amethyst

9. Pamela & Amethyst