AMPS 120, +6 109...now what?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by cbrown1, Aug 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cbrown1

cbrown1 New Member

Hi All

Mr. Pink has been doing great the past few days- only one test above 200 (203) since the 16th. We did a curve on Sunday that surprise me with some lows- lower that I expected.
    My question is what to do with his dose this evening.
    Background- my vet is one who diagnosed the diabetes earlier this month, gave me some reading material on feline diabetes, prescribe 4u twice a day and told me to come back for a checkup in 2 weeks. I had lowered his dose myself based on everything I was reading on here.

When I went for the checkup this past weekend and showed them my spreadsheet, expressed my concerns about the dosage- they lowered it to 2.5U bid. But they told me that I should never skip a dose. When I expressed concern and shared some of the research- they compromised and said if he is below 150, give him half his normal dose- but not to skip.
    My present concern is that he is testing much lower than normal. I tested him at his normal dose time and he was at 120. Tested after about 20 min and got the same.Since I had to leave for work- I opted not to give him a dose. I have come home mid day to check on him, and he is 110 and 109- 20 min. apart. I will be home to monitor him tonight... how low is too low to dose him? or does he really even need a dose at this point? If he stays this low, is it bad to just stop without weening him off? And when (if) my vet calls me back and says to dose him normal- what is the best way to have THAT conversation. They have never been rude or mean, always respectful- just seem to basing doses on experience of other cats- not research.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The dose would depend upon the PM PS. Based on this morning's PS and then no shot and the 109 at + 6 you may not need to give any this evening. Maybe, he does not need insulin anymore.

3. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Hows things going? Did you give the dose on Wednesday? I dont use novolin but i dont know if he will be ready to go from 2.5 to nothing, might need to drop the dose more gradually to let teh pancreas slowly pick up the slack.

Wendy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.