AMPS 136 +5/72 Maybe a NO-Juice Trial soon?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Thebudster77, Sep 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thebudster77

Thebudster77 Member

Hello All,

Please note Jack's readings are with AlphaTrak. I bought Samantha her own meter (reliOn Confirm) and his 136 on AlphaTrak was 88 on the ReliOn. BJM's information was right on !. Many Thanks!

Things have been going on fairly well. Since I began treating Samantha on 9/11 as well, I have had my hands full and keeping my head down.

Anyway, I have been holding firm on the dosage of .5u and today I did a skinny .5 and am really not sure I got it in. 1. He squirmed and 2. There is not much feedback in the plunge.

AMSP of 146 and +5 of 72.

I was wondering if I could get some input having Jack try no insulin ?

Your thoughts about a trial and any tips on the trial process (whether now or in the future) would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I agree that very likely no insulin. However, I would still give 0.1/0.2 with PS BGs of of about 130. I did for my Dulce.

3. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Jack is still looking great! :thumbup Usually, we suggest to decrease to .25u first before stopping insulin altogether as this seems to help smooth the transition to OTJ a little better. I would suggest you try .25u for the next cycle or two, but he seems to be trying to race you to the finish line so you'll want to be around to monitor. If his numbers go up, then .25u is too little and you go back to .5u again. If his numbers continue going down, however, then you just may have broken your diabetic. :lol:

4. Thebudster77

Thebudster77 Member

Larry and KPassa,

Thanks for the feedback.

I did read about waning them off I was just not aware of where the stop button started. As I mentioned, there is not much of a push on the plunger and I had practiced with water to see if I could get something less than 1/2 and what it looked like. It is not easy on these .3 ml syringes as they are only marked down to 1/2 and once below that the plunger line is so close to the end,well when I practiced, some times I got liquid out sometimes it was nothing...Even when I had a full .5, I dumped it on the counter and it was but a drop and not a very large one at that.

:?: My question, do they make smaller diameter syringes that would more easily show where .25 would be? I think that would be the only way I would sure that at .25 there was something in the syringe.

Kevin

5. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

were you meaning to post in Main Health, Kevin?

If you're still following TR, you would stick with the 0.5u and test to catch him going below 68. Then reduce to 0.25u. when he goes below 68AT on that, then to 0.1u. We know that remission is strongest in cats that have the insulin support as long as their pancreas needs it.

The http://www.americandiabeteswholesale.com/product/terumo-thinpro-insulin-syringe_5891.htm have a much thinner barrel than the relion, making it a little easier to measure the fine doses. I'm not sure you're going to have time to get the syringes in before Jack is done, though.

There are also pictures of what these tiny doses look like on the TR support group - look in the New to the Group sticky.

The last dose, the 0.1u, which is just one drop, can also be drawn up by pushing in hard on the plunger of the syringe, inserting the needle into the insulin and then releasing the plunger. The vacuum will draw in just a tiny drop of insulin. As weird as that seems, some cats need that amount and it can still make a difference in their blood sugar.

Skinnying and fattening doses are probably not something that your kitties are going to need. generally we go straight by the protocol with 0.25u adjustments until they get down to 0.2u, unless the kitty has already tried that and it's been demonstrated that the 0.25u increment adjustments don't work.

You have some new comments in your last post on the TR forum. Samantha needs a dose reduction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.