AMPS 160 - Give reduced shot or skip it? Have to leave soon

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Simon'sMommy, Jun 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon'sMommy

Simon'sMommy Well-Known Member

Good Morning,
    Posted on PZI but no one is around. I got a 160 and waited 15 mins and got a 161 AMPS. Finally I had to feed him because he was really hungry and I could not let him go any longer. Soooo, do I shoot a reduced dose or skip it? I just did a +45 mins and although I know it is food influenced, he is up to 235? Do I give him 1 unit knowing that no one will be here to test until +5 or +6? Please advise. I don't want him going hypo OR going sky high! nailbite_smile

2. Simon'sMommy

Re: AMPS 160 - Give reduced shot or skip it? Have to leave s

I retook his BG at +45 minutes and it was 235. I am making a decision to give him 1u instead of his 2.75. I don't want him zooming way back up in the 400's. I am nervous because no one can be here to test until +5 or +6, but that is what I decided to do. I am leaving his food out so he can eat anytime while we are gone. Wish me luck! nailbite_smile

3. Simon'sMommy

I can check this board at work (if I get a moment or two) so will be looking to see if I get a thumbs up on my decision or a hand slap ohmygod_smile

Thanks for all of your help - I truly appreciate it! I had no choice but to make the decision myself and I think I have enough data to do so but am still nervous about my choice to shoot under 200 AMPS. nailbite_smile

4. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Any chance you can pop home at +5 ish to see how he is doing? Did you leave out low medium or high carb?

I am glad u didn't shoot the whole dose although I might have skipped. He probably will be ok but we have no data to be 100% sure since this is his first low shot..
    Wendy

5. Simon'sMommy

Husband will be testing at +5 and +6 today. He is working from home this morning and so observing him as well.

He just called me at work and told me that Simon barfed up his breakfast so I am guessing he has an upset tummy. ohmygod_smile I did manage to test ketones/sugar urine this morning and both were negative. After Simon threw up, he went right back to his bowl and ate the rest of the can of FF beef pate' so he is acting completely normal. drinking24

I was so happy when my husband called and said that he would be staying home this morning. I will likely leave work early today so Simon will be alone for a very short time only. Also, hubby has the hypo kit and knows what to look for and how to test.

6. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Simon has a very doting mommabean. Hope you do not worry too much about him. I know how stressful it can be to leave him when he is lower than normal. :YMHUG:

Sorry no one was around this morning to help you with the decision. You did well on your own, reducing the dose to keep Simon safe. Thumbs up! :YMPEACE:

Choices are skip shot, reduce dose, or stall the shot time.

Remember, "Better too high for a day, than too low for a minute."

7. Simon'sMommy

Thanks Deb :smile:

Simon's +4.5 was 241. Just glad I gave him the tiny dose cause he most certainly would be up higher had I not. I am thinking that he is still coming down. Hubby will get a +6 as Simon's nadir has moved to between +5-+6 from his previous +4-+5 now, so am hoping he went a little lower. If not, it was a learning experience and I now know that he probably could have handled 1.5 units instead of just one with that number since his dose is 2.75 right now.

He was in blues, not greens, but I still was too nervous to shoot him at first, so went with 1u rather than not give ANY insulin which would not be good imho. I am glad that I did.

8. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Your learning experience here will help you to build a sliding scale for the insulin. As you gather more data on how he does, you will learn what dose works best for him at different numbers.

Keep up the good work with Simon.

9. terriy

terriy Member

I have to agree. You really are doing such a good job. Simon is a lucky boy to have you for his mommy!

10. Simon'sMommy

Simon kept going up from AMPS, even with 1u given
    AMPS 160
    +4.5 241
    +6 244
    +9 335

11. Simon'sMommy

Simon kept going up from AMPS, even with 1u given
    AMPS 160
    +4.5 241
    +6 244
    +9 335
    PMPS 363

12. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

I am wondering if he needs a slight dose increase but I am not a PZI expert so you might want to ask on the PZI forum?

13. Simon'sMommy

Hi Wendy,
    He did have a recent dose increase. His 1 unit yesterday was not his normal dose. It was based on the low AMPS number so because we are at work, I did not want to shoot his full 2.75 dose!

He had a good day today.
    AMPS - YELLOW - 286 so he had his usual 2.75 dose today :smile: :smile:
    +5.5 84

14. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Much better!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.