AMPS 185. Hypo yesterday. Dosing suggestion help.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Susan and Timmy, Feb 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Susan and Timmy

Susan and Timmy Member

Timmy's amps is 185. I am feeding him now. With his hypo event yesterday, I have no idea what dose to give him. Last night we gave him 1.5 units of Vetsulin since he was in the red numbers. He is feeling better and looking better. At the ER yesterday they gave him sub q. fluids, so maybe that has helped him more than I realized.

2. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Fluids often do wonders to perk up a kitty!

Wow, what a nice low number for Timmy-- I'd have expected him to still be bouncing today, but he is back in the groove!

I'd definitely give a reduced shot this morning. I don't see anywhere on the spreadsheet where you've shot a blue number, so I'd be especially cautious now when he has just discovered greens. I'd only shoot if you were able to monitor.

3. Susan and Timmy

Susan and Timmy Member

He just ate, is still eating as a matter of fact. He can't get enough of this new wet food. I just tested him again after about 20 minutes and he is 195. I am home with him today, so I can monitor. This is unchartered territory for me with this am blue number.

4. Nan & Amber (GA)

Hmmm.... I'm really wondering about this food change-- he was eating Sheba pates before, though, and those are supposed to be low-carb. Haven't heard any reports of BG problems with them, but maybe for some reason they were boosting Timmy's numbers? Just seems like this is the kind of quick transition we see when high-carb food is removed from the diet.

Susan and Timmy likes this.
  5. Susan and Timmy

Susan and Timmy Member

That makes sense. It is the only thing that has changed. Since his dx he has been on Sheba pates in natural juices. When he started to leave most of the Sheba, we switched to the BFF. This was Friday afternoon. We also leave YA mature zero out for him to graze on. Hmm.

I ended up giving Timmy 0.5 units today. That may have been too low of a dose, but I don't know what his numbers are doing right now and I don't want to repeat that hypo event...ever! I will be testing a lot today.

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  6. Nan & Amber (GA)

That sounds good-- it's what I would have given in your shoes.

7. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Oooh, a blue preshot number! Will be interesting to see today's numbers, Susan.
    Just shout out if you're concerned at any point. :bighug:

Susan and Timmy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.