Amps 188. Need some dosing advice.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Susan and Timmy, Feb 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Susan and Timmy

Susan and Timmy Member

Timmy's amps is 188. He is eating now. I will retest in about 20 minutes and post. I was wondering when his bounce would clear. Dosing now is tricky for me.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Do you have time to stall another 20 minutes if needed? Can you monitor this AM?

Susan and Timmy likes this.
  3. Susan and Timmy

Susan and Timmy Member

I can stall and I'm home today. I love that blue number but it worries me too on dosing. I'll post the next reading in about 15 minutes.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  4. Susan and Timmy

Susan and Timmy Member

He is 198 after eating and waiting 20 minutes.

5. Susan and Timmy

Susan and Timmy Member

I am giving him another small snack now.

6. Kris & Teasel

FYI: The stall technique is done as test/stall 20 min without food/test again to see if BG is rising on its own/repeat if needed. I have, however, used the feed/wait/test on Teasel when he was on ProZinc. That's a bit riskier and I had a lot of data. Also, ProZinc doesn't kick in as hard and fast as Vetsulin can.

Because his rising BG is likely due to the food and this is new territory for you, I suggest you give only 0.5 u this AM and do maybe +2/+4/+6. He'll probably be high-ish from the lower dose but that's safer than too low.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  7. Susan and Timmy

Susan and Timmy Member

He is now 250. I should have waited to feed. Still proceed with 0.5 units?

8. Susan and Timmy

Susan and Timmy Member

I read your replay again and I will dose 0.5 units and test as you suggested. Thanks for helping me keep him safe. :)

9. Kris & Teasel

Safety is of paramount importance, Susan. If he's not low at +2 and +4 you can probably give his ears a break after that. Vetsulin shows up early-ish.

10. Susan and Timmy

Susan and Timmy Member

+4 is 126. Since Timmy is so bouncy, should I try to steer this number up a little with food today? We just cleared a bounce and if he goes too low we'll be bouncing again.

11. Mum of two felines

Mum of two felines Member

12. Susan and Timmy

Susan and Timmy Member

I was just thinking that the food would keep his numbers right around where he is without going too low today. My thinking was to try to avoid the bouncing. I just tested him at +4.5 and he is 122. He is grazing now on the YA. I will test again at +5 too. Thank you for the reply and for the link.

13. Kris & Teasel

Looking good, Susan. My guy is very bouncy and I've rarely been successful in attempts to ward off a bounce. Vetsulin is an insulin that drops them fairly quickly so you have to factor that in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.