AMPS=210-Should I Shoot?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lyndsey & Mittens, Sep 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lyndsey & Mittens

Lyndsey & Mittens Member

Good Morning & Happy Friday!! Mittens has been on insulin for only a week now, and this morning his AMPS was 212, so im not sure if I should give him his AM dose of insulin or hold it. As you can see in my spreadsheet, for the past few days he's only been getting insulin in the AM b/c his PMPS has been under 200. His BG was 165 again last night so he didn't get a shot then either (just haven't put that number in my SS yet). What do you guys think? Should I give him his insulin? He's so close to that 200 number-I'm not sure what to do...

2. misty1477

misty1477 Well-Known Member

I would try 0.75 or 0.5 unit just to be safe....since I don't know if you will be home during the day to test at (+2) (+4) and/or (+6).

3. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm with Misty. reduce.

In general, I would reduce the dose. You want to be able to give 2 doses daily. You are getting higher amps numbers because she is without insulin overnight and her numbers rise by am. I'd go down to .5 and see if you can get two shootable numbers a day. Also, if you can get midcycle numbers, that will help you see how low the insulin takes her midcycle.

4. Lyndsey & Mittens

Lyndsey & Mittens Member

Thanks! Unfortunately I had already left for work (figured I'd play it safe) & not do anything since I hadn't received a response yet. I'll bump him down to .5 or .75 tonight to see if that will allow me to get 2 shots in a day.

5. misty1477

Good job "playing it safe".

By the time I responded, I figured you had gone to work since you were 'offline'. Post your PMPS number tonight so we can see if any adjustment needs to be made.

6. misty1477

Good job "playing it safe".

By the time I responded, I figured you had gone to work since you were 'offline'. Post your PMPS number tonight so we can see if any adjustment needs to be made.

BTW....you might want to start posting on the PZI forum where all of us ProZinc users hang out. :smile: You are doing a great job with Mittens! :D

Unless....you have an urgent/emergency question...then post on the Feline Health (Main) forum.

7. Lyndsey & Mittens

Lyndsey & Mittens Member

Thanks!! I was debating on which forum to post in this AM, next time ill use the PZI forum. I'll also post his PM numbers when I get them tonight :smile:

Love the name of your cat BTW :cool:

8. misty1477

Her brother is Mungojerrie. They were feral kittens that I rescued. Both are totally indoor kittehs. Names are from the Broadway play CATS....it was an awesome show. :smile:

9. Lyndsey & Mittens

Lyndsey & Mittens Member

Mittens' PMPS was 375 so I gave him .75u...hopefully this won't drop him so much as to where I can't give him his AM dose in the morning...fingers crossed!

I've never seen a broadway show-but something tells me that I'd really enjoy Cats (being a cat lover and all)...lol :smile:

10. misty1477

Did Mittens eat well after your PMPS? What time did you shoot? Can you get a (+5) test tonight?

CATS is no longer on broadway. I saw it a few weeks before the final show. Sad to see it end. Have t-shirt/CD/cap. During intermission, was able to browse around stage & meet some of the "Cats".

11. Lyndsey & Mittens

Lyndsey & Mittens Member

He didn't eat as much as I'd like (about 1/2 can FF), but I'm going to try & give him more in about an hour or so...I've noticed that he tends to be more of a "grazer" as he was previously free fed dry food prior to his diagnosis. I should be able to get a +5 on him tonight & post the numbers afterwards. I've noticed that nadir typically seems to be at +8/9 does this seem a little late in the cycle to you?

12. misty1477

RumpelT (and my civies) were 'dry-food' grazers until she was diagnosed. Now they get 3 meals a day...after AMPS + an hour or so after (+5) + after PMPS. I feed Friskies pate...less expensive since I am feeding 7 kittehs :roll: Since RumpelT scarfs down her food (a whole can) in about 2 minutes, she eats in the powder room while civies take their good natured time 'savoring the flavor'....RumpelT would shove them away from their bowls and eat theirs too. Civies also get to eat some dry food (contraband) too...RumpelT never gets any dry food. Oh I Wish For The Days Of Free Feeding Dry Food 24/7. ;-)

Mittens should not have any food for 2 hours before you test...food will cause numbers to be higher.

Following RumpelT's ss since she was diagnosed, her nadir seems to be about +5. BUT....every cat is different you know. :roll: Mittens' might be later because he is new to the sugardance. Keep your ss updated...it will help you see how the insulin is working and help others on the board to give you advice.

Feel free to take a look at RumpelT's ss....you will be able to see that she is on much lower doses now than when the vet :evil: started her too high.

I have to sign off now....work night shift....time for my 4 hours of sleep. I will check your post in the morning...start your AM post on the PZI board.

You are doing a great job! :D

13. Lyndsey & Mittens

Lyndsey & Mittens Member

7 kitties! Oh my!! You definitely have your hands full! I want another one so bad, but I just don't have the space right now...funny you should mention missing the convienence of dry food-I was just fantasizing about that earlier today...Ha! I don't let mittens eat 2 hours prior to his blood sugar checks-he doesn't like that and definitely lets me know it... cat(2)_steam

Mittens' vet also started him on too high of a dose-3u! Needless to say, I got a crash course that night in performing blood sugar checks on a cat...it was a looong night for the both me & the cat (sigh)...

14. Lyndsey & Mittens

Lyndsey & Mittens Member

Welp, Mittens +5 was 384, basically the same as his PMPS level...argh

15. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I would give the numbers a few cycles, now that you are giving insulin twice daily. And if you can get some more midcycle numbers - maybe +4, 6, 8? - on a day soon. If she has a late nadir, that would be good to know when you are thinking about a dose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.