AMPS 307... PMPS 77

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by TigzMom, Apr 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TigzMom

TigzMom Member

Hi
    Need some help. Tiggy's (AMPS) blood glucose this AM was 307, so I gave him his insulin this morning. He ate fine. I just tested him (PMPS), but his BG was 77. So, of course, I did NOT give insulin He doesn't seem hungry, except for a low/carb treat or two when I did his BG.

His BG yesterday was
    AMPS 324
    227 (+4)
    155 (+5)
    175 (+7)
    232 PMPS

What to do? Keep an eye on him and just try to get him to eat? Thoughts?

2. TigzMom

TigzMom Member

And yes, still working on uploading my data sheet / injection sheet. It is saved on my desktop of my computer. I will upload it this weekend. Sorry.

3. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes. As a newbie, in this forum, we don't advise to shoot anything less than 200.
    We want you to learn your cats patterns , and yes we like those spreadsheets, before we get you shooting lower numbers.
    The good thing is that's such great progress already....

Very likely , he will go up, ( a bounce from going low) and you can get back on track.

You did what you should have done.
    Tiggy is lucky and loved to have you monitoring him and keeping him safe.

4. TigzMom

TigzMom Member

Oh, and I did give him his insulin yesterday AM and PM. He ate then. But today only gave insulin in the AM when BG was 307. He ate in the AM only. NO insulin given

5. TigzMom

TigzMom Member

That's good. I just tested his BG again and it was 66. He still doesn't want any food, but I was able to get him to eat some of his low/carb treats and some water, so that made me feel better.

6. TigzMom

TigzMom Member

And thank you so much

7. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Is he bored with his food? I can't give the same thing two times in a row most days. I always have several open cans in the fridge.

Is he having any health issues?

Does he ask for food but then walk away from it ? Cats who have nausea will want food, sniff it, and kind of smack their lips and turn away.

8. TigzMom

TigzMom Member

I try to switch it up for him. And, if he doesn't like some food I've given, he is very, very verbal letting me know he wants something else instead.
    He's been on antibiotics for his UTI, and will be finished with those in two days.
    He was willing to eat his fav low/carb treats that I give him for his blood draws and his insulin injections. That's why I assumed it was from the lower level blood sugar. But you never know.

9. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

If he's been running in the 200s and 300s a lot of the time and is now down under 100, he might genuinely just not be as hungry - he'll be getting better use out of what he does eat. I'd leave some food out for him and just keep an eye on whether he eats any of it or not over the next few hours. He might just not be hungry at his usual food time but will want to eat a bit later on.

10. TigzMom

TigzMom Member

I'm crossing my fingers. Thanks!

11. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Since you've had to skip AND because he is wrapping up an antibiotic, so any infection effects on glucose may be waning, you may want to back off the insulin 0.25 units, so you have a shootable number both morning and night.

12. TigzMom

TigzMom Member

Ok.. Just re-tested his BG and it is 50. What to do? I gave him a low/carb treat.. He ate that try dry food if he won't eat canned?

13. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

How much insulin is he on? Still 2 units?

Usually, if it's been more than 12 hours since a shot, they'll be fine but if you can find something he'll eat, it'll help.....got any real chicken? Or a little human tuna? Something low carb that he might be interested in eating?

Some other things you can try to get him interested in eating are Parmesean cheese, oregano, catnip or heating up the food just a little in the microwave to make it more "smelly"

Don't really want to pull out the dry since it takes so long to get into the bloodstream and then takes a long time getting back out

14. TigzMom

TigzMom Member

Sorry for the delay. I was able to get him to eat some canned food.. Whew! That was a relief!

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  15. TigzMom

TigzMom Member

And yes, still on 2 units x 2, but again I skipped his PM shot tonight as he was at 77 before the shot and at that time, hadn't eaten. He just ate, but it wasn't a lot.

16. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

When you have to skip shots because the glucose is too low for safety, reducing the dose may allow you to shoot twice a day. This will keep the glucose more level, rather than swinging up and down.

17. Chris & China (GA)

That's good....he's still safe and the insulin should be wearing off, but it looks like you may need to reduce his dose. Did you start at 2 units?

18. TigzMom

TigzMom Member

Yes, Tiggy is at the same dosage he started at. 2 units x 2
    But I was given (prescribed) the U-100 syringes. There aren't any smaller increments than the 2 units on this, so it will be difficult to reduce the dose without a different syringe unless there is some trick..

19. Chris & China (GA)

It sounds like you have the wrong syringes.

You need to get U100, 3/10ml, 30 or 31 gauge insulin syringes with half unit markings.

WalMart has them for $12.58 for a box of 100
    relion syringes.png

20. TigzMom

TigzMom Member

Ah. Good to know. I went to Walmart for my insulin and got my syringes there too. The Vets prescription for syringes just said U-100. I told the pharmacy tech this was for my cat, but he handed me the 1cc syringes. They have 5 lines then a 10, then 5 lines, then a 20, etc., on up to 100. Wish the vet had been more explicit.
    When I had the injection training at the vets, they used a 50cc syringe to teach with which added to my confusion regarding dosages. (I even confirmed with the vets after I got my syringes and nothing was said then.. Lovely.

21. Chris & China (GA)

Yeah those are definitely the wrong syringes.....WalMart pharmacists aren't the smartest in the world either...even though their own advertising says the syringes above are all marked with half unit markings, a lot of them will say there's no such thing

22. TigzMom

TigzMom Member

Oh brother! Thanks for the info! Good to now know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.