amps 332 how soon do I test again?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by heidi and doodles, May 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heidi and doodles

heidi and doodles Member

tested doodles she's at 332. I did test her last night at midnight +6 and she was at 319. Doodles had a great breakfast and her morning shot.
    She's not really liking the ear poke now that she knows what's going on, but she is still being a good patient whoo hoo. How soon do I test again?
    I am using the N until I can change her to something better. Thanks >"<

2. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

I think N goes the lowest around 4 hours after a shot, so I would test around +3 or +4 if you can. (someone correct me if I am remembering this wrong!)

3. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

That's about right.....Did you start on insulin or just start testing? Once you have been testing for a few days you can better figure out when is the best time to test your cat. N insulin will have a typical pattern (may vary slightly from cat to cat and day to day)

AMPS typically high
    +1 normally higher than AMPS (due to the cat eating breakfast and insulin is not working much yet)
    +2 insulin starts working number getting lower-may be near AMPS ' or slightly lower
    +3 lower than AMPS
    +4 lowest number of the 12 hour cycle (should not be lower than 80-100)
    +5 about the same as +4 maybe a little higher
    +6 between the +4 and AMPS
    +7 rising
    +8 most of the insulins effect has worn off and the numbers will continue to rise
    PMPS typically simular to the AMPS

In the beginning you want to find the low point (nadir) by testing at +2 you will see if the number is starting to go down and how fast, testing at +4 may show you the nadir and then again at +5 to see if it still going down, starting to rise or staying steady. A test at +8 (occasionally) will let you see how much duration you are getting (if the numbers are alread very high or if the rise is slow and steady)

I noticed you are interested in switching to Lantus and I would recommend it. If you are in the US you do need a Rx from a vet, in Canada I belive it's OTC.

4. heidi and doodles

heidi and doodles Member

Oh great! I gave her a shot at 6am so I will test her +3 in about 30 minutes and she where she is. She seems to be really good this morning, climbing on the computer and all in my face :) She's on a new wet food and loving it, less than 10 carbs :) She just had something to eat again. Will this make a difference in her reading? And do I just test anyway? Not sure of the protocol yet. Thank you for all of the info! I do live in the states and will contact my vet today and get Doodles going. Since my vet and I are not on the same page but she is willing to work with me my question is, do I have her give me the dose to use for Doodles with the numbers I've got?Or come to the message board? I get really sketchy with the dose thing :/ I'm terrible at math no I suck :/ heidi and doodles >"<

5. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

terrific that she is feeling good.

It is ok to test whether or not she has just eaten. It may make a difference in the number, but really -- you need her life to be "normal", so you need to base the dose on "normal" life and activities. Just make a note in your records that she just had a snack.

when a vet claims they can regulate a cat with one week of boarding at the vet clinic - that is ridiculous. Sure, they can come up with a dose that works when the cat is locked up in a cage all day with weird noises and strange people and stuff -- but what happens when you get the kitty home? The dose they come up with for living in a stressful cage is likely to be totally different than what is needed at home during "normal life".

6. Monique & Spooky

If your vet doesn't know Lantus she probably can't give you starting dose. If she started you at 1U Humalin N then she was correct in start low go slow. Same applies to Lantus the numbers have little to do with how much insulin is needed, the only way to figure out how much is by "titrating" the dose. Usually starting with 1U or a calculation based on the IDEAL weight of the cat.

.25U per kilogram of IDEAL weight

The average cat is about 4-5kg so 4kg x .25U=1U

This may prove to be not enough but we start with it and give it 5 days or so (you will see some results) and then if we havent gotten that magic number (below 100) after the 5-7 days we increase by .25U and keep that for a few days.

All the information is on the Lantus group.

We have had over 100 cats in Lantus Land go into remission using this method so it has established itself as being effective.

7. heidi and doodles

heidi and doodles Member

Thanks, OMG I look at these numbers and it freaks me out. I don't want to do the wrong thing :(
    I know the last time Doodles was at the vets last Monday May 3 she weighed 8.9lbs. She had put on 6oz in two weeks. Is a scale something I'll need? I don't do scales the numbers are never low enough :razz:
    Justed tested +3 she was at 254 :) feeling better about that number, although I know she needs to be lower. She seems to have a really great appetite today with her new wet food, much more playful too. In my face, walking on the computer...and I've noticed the water intake is not as much this morning? Last night I cut her dose by .5 so she is on 1u instead of 1.5, so she's had two shots at the 1u, would this make a difference already? I can't wait to get her on the good stuff then! heidi and doodles >"<

8. Monique & Spooky

Yes the half unit will make a difference, because N works very quickly, with Lantus you have to build up a reserve before you see the full effect of a dose. Glad she is enjoying her "feline appropriate diet" :D

To convert lbs to kilograms divide by 2.2

8.9lbs. / 2.2= 4kg So 1unit would be a good starting dose for Lantus.

254 is a good start for +3 you may see a numer in the 100's by +4 or +5 then she will probably be going back up after that. A few cats can stay lower up to +8 but N is a shorter acting insulin so usually the curve is pretty steep and high.

When you are ready to start with lantus be sure and read all the info on the Lantus group sticky "New to Lantus" important stuff about how to store the insulin and how to measure the dose. You should also get a Rx for the correct syringes.

What you want your vet to prescribe is:

Lantus (glargine insulin) U100 5 Solorstar insulin pens @3ml each
    3/10 cc U100 insulin syringes (30 units) with half unit markings- at the pharmacy have them take one out of the box to show you they should look like this [​IMG]

The little marks are the half unit. Each syringe holds total 30 units each long mark is 1 unit the small ones in between are half units.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.