AMPS 400/ +2 1/2 359/ +9 1/2 289 PMPS 563 :(

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by IloveLarry, Feb 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IloveLarry

IloveLarry Well-Known Member

i was running late and larry is so restless and jumpy, he moved :( i dont think any lantus went in at all :( now what?

2. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: AMPS 400/ attempted 1u of lantus/ fur shot :(

Hi Pam!
    DON'T RESHOOT just in case some DID get in...yes Larry may run high all day but better all day high than a minute hypo!

HUGS!

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You can check on him later to see if any effect is present.

Otherwise, better too high for a day, than too low for a moment.

4. IloveLarry

yea its been a hard day. hes mostly hidden in the closet, and hasnt let me test. still trying.

5. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Hi Pam,

I wanted to give you a couple of links to posts I've written up that might help you with testing.
    Ear Testing Psychology - Setting up an environment that is conducive to both you and the cat and finding a proper position that will allow you to test the cat.
    Testing Time - Taking your time to turn testing into a routine and habit

When I first started testing Michelangelo, it was quite a difficult undertaking and I didn't even get ONE successful test in that first week. I felt like an absolute failure and was starting to stress myself out with how horrible everything was going. I knew that stressing would not make testing any easier so I took a chill pill (aka a bottle of wine) and started from scratch and just went at it very leisurely and nonchalantly and it worked! I was finally able to get some successful tests. The first couple of months, it could easily take me an hour or more to get a single test in. Knowing that, I began to set myself up for success at pre-shot time by starting the whole process an hour earlier than his actual shot. This made me not feel as rushed or as panicked that I had to get a test in ASAP because I was going to be late for work, late for his shot, etc.... The rest of the day (i.e. non-preshot times), I would try to get tests in but not worry too much if it didn't happen. I called them "practice runs" before the "final event" (the pre-shot tests). :lol:

Now, I can test Michelangelo faster than the ReliOn Micro can register a test strip and he even comes to me for testing sometimes.

6. IloveLarry

thank u. theres only 1 way i have found that works. great ideas u have!
    i have lost the rice sock grrr
    for some reason i havent been able to get his ears to bleed today :( idk whats up?

7. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Have you ever tried a pill bottle or film canister with warm water? It also gives you something hard to hold against (and poke against)

8. IloveLarry

i did. perfect for me! but larry said no way mama :( hes so scared/skittish and picky. the rice sock usually works pretty well...if i could find it.

9. IloveLarry

well we r at 289! nvr b4 seen at approx plus 9 and a half hrs. interesting. now i wonder how much he got today.

10. Chris & China (GA)

Re: AMPS 400/ +2 1/2 359/ +9 1/2 289

Well I'd say it looks like he got SOME!!

That's why we always say to never give more insulin when you think you gave a furshot! Good results for his very first cycle on Lantus!

11. IloveLarry

yea. lets hope the vet doesnt find out i didnt listen to him. eek. how bizarre. can i give his shot at the regular time as long as he is over 200? so we can get bak on track? we were 1 hr late this morning.

12. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Time adjustments with Lantus are either 15 minutes per shot, or 30 min once a day. This is because of the overlap.

Shooting early increases overlap, so it acts like a dose increase.
    Shooting late decreases overlap, so it acts like a dose decrease.

13. IloveLarry

bj does this apply when we have no idea what the am dose was? he jerked so no way to know how much of 1u he got.
    and how long b4 his shot does he get his pmps on lantus?

14. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Precisely. You don't know how much went in and you also don't have much data with Lantus yet, so caution is advised. Safe, consistent dosing, with cautious increases is the way to go.

I blithely changed Spitzer's food from dry to low carb wet and his dose dropped 2 units ... after I spent all night testing him every 30 minutes because of how long Lantus effects last.

15. IloveLarry

yikes! what a nightmare. glad hes ok.

16. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

With Lantus, the PMPS is taken generally within 15 minutes of the shot and food is given with the shot instead of a half hour before-hand. Since Lantus doesn't peak till around 5-7 hours after the shot, food isn't as important to have on-board at shot time as it is with what you were using before. You do want to make sure he's not having any appetite issues, though.

Tomorrow morning, you can give the shot a half hour early and then on Friday, you can give it at his normal time.

17. Chris & China (GA)

Most of us quit worrying about what our vet thought a long time ago. It's sometimes just not worth the extra pressure to try to convince them that you're taking your advice from a bunch of crazy cat people on the INTERNET!!! (and worse yet, that they seem to know what they're talking about!!!)

Vets can't stay up to date on the latest treatments for every disease in every type of animal they see. The people here do nothing except treat Feline Diabetes and the diseases that tend to come with it, and they do it successfully with a pretty darn good percentage of cats who end up being able to go OTJ and just be diet controlled.

Invite your vet to keep track of your journey by offering him/her your link to your spreadsheet. If he/she is really interested, we have lots of information for them to read...if they're not interested, well, you tried.

What you're doing for Larry now is the best possible thing you can do...and we don't charge for our help/advice

18. IloveLarry

:) i am emailing the SS to him.
    i jst mean...i called him and he called me back and for nothing i guess. hard to know who to listen to. i got abt 5 diff. answers today.

19. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Actually, Spitzer is no longer with me after throwing a blood clot to his hind legs (saddle thrombus). I have never heard a cat in that much pain and I hope never to hear that again. Euthanizing him was the only humane option.

20. IloveLarry

so sad :(
    very sorry

21. IloveLarry

so we r sky high now. got another bubble in the syringe. got it out and it looks just a hair below 1u now. time to give shot. shocked he is so high.

22. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

FYI: the FDA allows meters to read within 20% of what a lab would get, so that 563 could just as easily by 20% higher or lower. It'll come back down.

450.4 - low estimate (i.e. 0.8 * test)
    563.0 - test value
    675.6 - high estimate (i.e. 1.2 * test)

23. IloveLarry

right. highest # ever!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.