? AMPS 445 yesterday morning, 70 this morning. Skip and reduce dose? Volatile BG history.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by AngelaMiao, Feb 15, 2019.

1. AngelaMiao

AngelaMiao Member

Hello!

So my cat is on 0.50 units of Lantus BID. Yesterday his blood sugar was high (445-350) for most of the day. This morning I checked his BG and it's at 71 (I checked 3 times and got 70, 71 and 73). His BG has a history of being volatile.

I haven't given him any insulin yet. I read on the SLGS sticky that I should wait until he gets to a higher level or skip if it doesn't work with my schedule so I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. I have to leave the house at 10:45 today so if I shoot later, I won't be able to check if he hypos so I'd have to wait until his evening dose. In the evening, should I go back to 0.50 or do 0.25?

Here's the link to his SS so you can see his patterns.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11_mM3cxitd-z0DGXA1nKTfz7zuopQ6vV/view?usp=drivesdk

I feel like it happens often that he'll be in the 400-300s for a few cycles, then 200- high 100s and then low 100s-below 100 before skyrocketing back to the 400s-300s

2. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

If you can't monitor best to skip. Be sure to leave food down as the depot will still be in play. Can you test again before you leave to see if he is coming up?

3. AngelaMiao

AngelaMiao Member

Yep! Will check before I leave!

4. AngelaMiao

AngelaMiao Member

So in the end I won't be going out today so I'll be able to do whatever I need to do. If his BG spikes, would I give him the shot late and then skip tonight and go back to normal time tomorrow (so that he never ends up 24hrs between shots), or just skip it until tonight?

I was told yesterday that I should be tagging certain people on this thread but I'm new so I don't know who I should be tagging (and how to tag).

5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

It would be helpful for members if you set up your signature and put that link to your spreadsheet in it. Here's how:
    • click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    • click on "signature" in the men that drops down
    • type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using /glucose meter you're using/what he eats/any other meds or health issues he has.
    Your SS link will get lost as this thread gets longer whereas it's always visible if it's in your signature.

6. AngelaMiao

AngelaMiao Member

Done!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  7. AngelaMiao

AngelaMiao Member

He's at 260 now at +4 from when I would have given his AM shot. Do I keep waiting until tonight or do I give it early and skip tonight so that I can monitor his blood sugar the rest of the day - I'm kind of worried about him going hypo at night when I'm sleeping and I have a 7 month old so it's hard to stay up when I'm not getting much sleep and sometimes I sleep through alarms.

8. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Previous Condo.

Hello from a fellow Canuck - Alberta!

You will have to skip this morning as you are already 4 hours out and that would be tough to get back to your normal shot time. Try to keep as consistent to 12 hours between shots as you can.

Good job on retesting when you got an unexpected number. It confirms that yes he was 71. On SLGS that would of earned him a reduction in dose 0.25u. Your kitty doesn't plan on being on insulin long it looks like. The switch in food might have been all he needed.

9. AngelaMiao

AngelaMiao Member

Thank you! Will give 0.25 tonight instead.

Could this maybe be why his BG seemed so volatile? That the 0.5 was just too much?

10. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hello and welcome. Good luck with the new dose.

Tagging certain people is not a good idea. What if they are away or unavailable? Better to change your subject line to include the “?” prefix and a brief description of your issue. That way anyone on who can answer will see the question and can pop in.

Mandy & Rex (GA) likes this.
  11. AngelaMiao

AngelaMiao Member

How do you edit a subject line? I can only find the option to edit the post :/

12. AngelaMiao

AngelaMiao Member

Figured it out! Thank you for the suggestion!

13. Tracey&Jones (GA)

It is more likely what we call a bounce. The BG goes lower then his body is used to and the liver panics and dumps a bunch of stored glucose. Which is a normal body reaction and it is there to keep him safe...unfortunately we need to retrain his body that the normal range of BG is ok and it doesn't need to panic. He was perfectly safe but his body doesn't know it....yet!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  14. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi! I have a suggestion for your SS. Did you freeze any panes? If so, please unfreeze them. Right now column C is hidden because of that so I cannot see how much you have been dosing in the mornings. Thank you.

15. AngelaMiao

AngelaMiao Member

I don't have any columns frozen, but I noticed you have to slide the right 3 column from right to left to be able to see the entirety of collumn B and C. It's because of the way column D onwards is formatted. It came like that when I downloaded the SS from the site

Does the second tab work? I have the Canadian units in the second tab.

16. Mandy & Rex (GA)

@Marje and Gracie do you know why we would see this issue with the SS?

As for the world tab, I don't look at that because I'm from US so those numbers are hard to understand. :)

17. Kris & Teasel

Also notice the lime green coding for BG in the 50 to 99 range - confusing to people here.

18. AngelaMiao

AngelaMiao Member

Maybe I downloaded the wrong spreadsheet? Can you guys send me the link to create a new spreadsheet again?

19. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Yes I think that’s the case because our SS template doesn’t look like that. The linked SS is an Excel SS and ours is google.

Here is the link to the post on how to do our SS and link them in your signature block. Please PM me if you need any help.

20. AngelaMiao

AngelaMiao Member

Should be fixed now!

21. Kris & Teasel

It is. :)

22. AngelaMiao

AngelaMiao Member

Blood sugar is up to 369 again. Blah!

23. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Jack is bouncing and there is no insulin on board either for this cycle even if the depot is working for you. He will come back down again. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

24. AngelaMiao

AngelaMiao Member

How much should I give him now. 0.25? Hes at 425.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  25. AngelaMiao

AngelaMiao Member

I gave 0.25 since he was on 0.50 when he went down to 70.

26. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I’d add SLGS to your signature.

27. AngelaMiao

AngelaMiao Member

28. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Thanks. That way you won’t keep getting asked. A reduction was earned but if following TR the number is 50. Congrats.

29. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Good job on shooting 0.25u.

30. AngelaMiao

AngelaMiao Member

Thank you!