AMPS=486

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by slb1107, Aug 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slb1107

slb1107 Guest

I finally got the nerve to do it and after the 8th poke I got 501...Isn't that really bad??

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Re: First test = 501??

Not good but OK at the beginning of treatment. When I started Tonis, I got so "HI"s. That is greater than 600. How long after the insulin was the reading taken?

3. slb1107

slb1107 Guest

This is the 3rd year of being a diabetic...she last got insulin 12 hours ago..she's using humulin n for now b/c I haven't had the money to switch yet

4. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

agree with Larry in that it is not good but it may indicate a bit of why you guys have had some problems with her, like the peeing on the comforter and why she hasn't gotten regulated yet perhaps.

previous thread for those who aren't familiar with it
    viewtopic.php?t=49851

while of course no one wants to see high numbers, they aren't as deadly as numbers that are too low sooooo let's see what to do now. it's shot time right? and you recently reduced from 4 units to 2 units?

for now i'd give the 2 units and if you can get some more testing done over the next few days, people familiar with N can then tell you better if the dose is still too high or too low based on the data you gather.

5. slb1107

slb1107 Guest

alright! thank you! i'll give the 2 units and retest later

6. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

sooo glad you got your first test and found those 'big girl panties', put them on and tried! you go girl!!! your girl will thank you in soooo many ways!

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sarah, have we talked about getting you a different insulin?
    Oh, and welcome to the
    VAMPIRE CLUB!
    You will find you thirst to see blood will grow and grow.
    Lori

8. Violet and Garland

Violet and Garland Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your first home test!! It gets so much easier. I do mine in less than a minute these days. I found it easier to free hand the poke (with a lancet) Goes much faster. When I use a lancet in its true form, it takes me like 10 tries to get a poke. But you will find your groove thats perfect for you and your kitty. It will become like 2nd nature soon :smile:

9. slb1107

slb1107 Guest

Alright it's gotten easier to test. 8/27 at 7:52pm before her shot it was 389 and today just a few min ago it was 91! Why did it drop that much? Is 91 ok? What dosage should I give her tonight?

10. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

Re: First test = 501?? Retested=91..what to dose? pls help

If it were me, I would retest in 30 min or so and NO SHOT. Ring me if you want...tried to reach you but I got your voicemail......

11. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Okay when in relationship of the 389 is the 91 as in how many hours apart? And what dosage was her last shot? 91 is a beautiful number if it comes in the right spot in her cycle. But if it is early in her cycle, then it bares watching as she might keep going lower.

Mel, Maxwell, Musette & The Fur Gang

12. slb1107

slb1107 Guest

The 389 was yesterday and the 91 tonight. So 24 hours apart. They were both about 12 hours after her previous shot..I was going to feed her and give her a shot but I got that number and didn't know what to do. Do I wait til the morning? It's already too late to give her a shot now.

13. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Basic rule of thumb when you are just starting out with home testing, is anything under 200 is a "no shoot" number. Once you start gathering a lot of data and know how your cat is going to react to those lower numbers then you "no shoot' number can gradually come down.

Your still using Humulin N correct? If so a 91 is definitely a no shoot number, because N hits very hard and wears off fairly quickly. Now with insulins like Levermir and Lantus, some folks will go ahead and shoot at a 91 as long as it is a rising number, because those insulins work off a shed and have a slower onset. Normally if you get a lower preshot reading we stall the shot, wait 30 minutes and test again to see if you have reached a shootable number or at least have a rising number as oppose to a still falling number. Just kind of depends on the insulin you are using and knowing through lots of testing how your cat is going to react to a dose at any given time. By the way, a 91 is a nice non-diabetic number, on the higher end of normal, but still within range with 50 to 120 being the normal range for a non-diabetic cat.

Mel, Maxwell, Musette & The Fur Gang

14. slb1107

slb1107 Guest

I didn't give her any last night but I was running late this morning and just gave her 2 units like normal. I'll test again tonight and see what it's at.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Oh Sara,
    You gave 2 units without a test?
    You and I are soooo gonna have to talk ok.
    I think you called me once before, if you still have my number call again ok.
    The thing is with a 91 at either 12 or 24 hours later....well it is only sensible that on your insulin she was a heck of a lot lower than that at her bottom....2u is too much.
    Lori

16. slb1107

slb1107 Guest

Alright her number today at 12:45 was 110 after 2 units this morning at 6:30am. At 5:46PM her # was 114. I did not shoot. And just now at 9:57PM it was 367! So what do I do now?

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sara, I don't understand....which of these numbers were her dose time?

18. slb1107

slb1107 Guest

114 was the # at her dose time so I didn't give her a dose.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

ok Sara, here's the thing. Your cat went too low today. Low enuf that she is bouncing back up real fast. It is a function of the body to protect itself from low numbers...the liver kicks out glucose.
    Sooooo, you need to dramatically decrease her dose. And you need to never dose her untested.
    I would go for a skinny 1u tomorow as I think she has had hypo's the last 2 days.
    How does that sound.
    Can you do that?

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

oh i mean tonight...skinny u.

21. slb1107

slb1107 Guest

So give 1u now (10:30PM)? The next time I can dose her is 7AM

22. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

hey , wait a minute.
    I just reread your post.
    it is soooo helpful to write out your day so we can see it clearly.
    amps dose
    + ? number
    +? number.
    pmps

it looks like you had quite a surf there.
    maybe let's rethink the dose drop. wait a minute ok.

23. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I may have spoke too soon.
    Yes, go ahead a dose her...can you gauge what a fat unit would be? just a smidge over a unit.

24. slb1107

slb1107 Guest

I don't understand the amps dose and + things..lol Is there anywhere that has a guide to it? I'll give her a dose now. Can you give me an idea of what to do in the morning based on what she tests at then?

25. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

can you call me right now?

26. slb1107

slb1107 Guest

Alright..

AMPS 76
    should I give her 1u?

27. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Re: AMPS=76??

76 is a lovely number on its own and with Humulin N -- No Shot!! Since this is "amps" morning pre-shot using Hum.N - no shot.

Are you home all day? If yes, you can test later and shoot when over 200. This will throw off your schedule but.

Try to get a test in +4 hours after injection and +6 hours after injection. We need to see how low your kitty is going "mid-cycle" which for "N" is usually between 4 and 6 hours after injection.

If you have to go to work -- no shot, and test when you get home.

28. slb1107

slb1107 Guest

I will test at lunch..I didn't shoot this morning. It will be +6ish..I'll post later!

29. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sara THANK GOD you tested!!!!!
    I'm so glad....I think your baby has some desire to go off the juice!!!!!

30. slb1107

slb1107 Guest

Alright..
    AMPS 76 no shot
    +6.5 221

Is that bad?

31. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Julia & Bandit (GA) Well-Known Member

32. slb1107

slb1107 Guest

Alright...I made one and put the link in my signature..I just started with todays #s

33. Re: AMPS=76??

Sara
    while it isn't great, no it isn't "bad". Test at pmps and post here before giving insulin this evening, okay?
    carl

34. slb1107

slb1107 Guest

will do!

35. Julia & Bandit (GA)

That's great, Sara! :D This will help you keep track of his numbers and see what's going on with Jasper.

That 76 preshot is off no insulin??? That's wonderful!

I'm not experienced with N at all, but the diet change appears to be helping, drastically. You'll definitely need to lower that dose when/if it is time to shoot again. the 221 is not a bad number. Jasper hasn't seen normal numbers in a while, so her liver is releasing glucose into her bloodstream. This is what we call a "bounce". Eventually, the bounce will clear and we'll be able to see where she's at. The fact that she got that low number off no insulin is very encouraging! It means that her pancreas is probably producing insulin on its own.

36. slb1107

slb1107 Guest

Yay!

Also, I called my local Target pharmacy to see how much Lantis was and to confirm I needed a prescription. It was $225.99 for 3 pens. That sounds like a lot. And I called my vet to get a prescription but the one vet wanted to talk to his partner at the vet who isn't in til tomorrow b/c they have never even heard of Lantis...wtf? Isn't it the main insulin prescribed for diabetic cats! I'm so switching vets!

37. Caitlyn and Molly

Caitlyn and Molly Member

Ugh, I'm sorry your vet is giving you trouble about the Lantus! That was about the one thing my old vet did right regarding my Molly's diabetes--perscribing Lantus.

I don't know how much is in each pen, but I think they're good for quite a while (maybe a year or two?) when they're not open, so it'd be cheaper than having to get a $100 vial every six months. And if Jasper goes off insulin for good, you could probably sell the unopened pens here if you needed to.

38. Re: AMPS=76??

Sara,
    Try and see if they have heard of "glargine".
    That's what my vet insists on calling it.
    Carl

39. Julia & Bandit (GA)

Sara, that's $225.99 for 5 3ml pens (a total of 15ml)--5 pens will last you about a year if you handle and store them properly! They only come in packs of 5. Also, remember now that you're home testing you won't need to spring for vet testing anymore apart from Jasper's check ups. Unopened, the pens are good until their expiration date, which is usually 2-3 years. I recently used two pens that I had left that I purchased in 2009 and they were fine. Didn't expire until 4/2012.

Here's a coupon for $25 dollars off of them: http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=36964

Refer this article to your vet, and I'm sure they'll agree to the switch. Slow acting insulins have been recommended for cats for several years.

Attached Files:

40. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

btw Sara,
    that +6 is actually +18.
    It had been +18 hours since Kittie's last shot.
    Tonight will be +24.

41. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Make sure anyone takes into consideration that your kitty got this number on his first dose of 1unit...after being dose 2u's
    And that tonight is +24....
    1unit appears to be too high a dose.

42. Re: AMPS=76??

Lori,
    Nice catch. It's +24
    I'm figuring PMPS should be around 7pm.

Carl

43. slb1107

slb1107 Guest

Well I gave her 1u last night around 10pm which should have been +4 after pmps..if that makes sense..I just tested again pmps=468..so it's +20=468? what should I dose?

44. Re: AMPS=76??

Sara
    Hold on for a few minutes. I am trying to post a "recap" of the past 24 - 36 hours so everyone's on the same page.

Carl

45. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

less than a unit.
    since we have no records and she was on 5 units for a while...
    i'm thinking .75
    can you eyeball that on the syringe?

46. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Dear Sara, if you miss a shot for whatever reason you no longer need to write pmps when it's 24 hours later.
    Just +24, or in this case +20 will do.
    The chart does'nt really allow for that so it's most important that you mention it here....or write in caps 'NO SHOT' where the dose should be.
    She gets her dose reduction no matter how high she is tonight.

47. Re: AMPS=76??

8/27
    PMPS 389 2u

8/28
    AMPS ??
    PMPS 91

8/29
    no AM test 2u
    +6 110
    PMPS 114 no shot
    +4 367 1u

8/30
    AMPS 76 no shot
    +6.5 221
    PMPS 468

I think I got it all.
    Carl
    Carl

48. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Carl dear,
    every time she skips a shot you have to add that 6 hours to the already 12 hours right?

49. Re: AMPS=76??

Correct.
    I was trying to read the whole thread and type in a 2nd window. her SS wouldn't open on my computer. But yeah, I typed what she wrote and forgot to do the math from last shot.

Like I said above, you were correct in pointing out it was 24 hours (actually 20 since she dosed 1 unit last night late).

Carl

50. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

Dear Sara and Jasper,
    I just wanted to say during all of the spread sheet work, figuring out what your shooting times are and what your home testing is doing, YOU HAVE STEPPED UP TO THE VAMPIRE PLATE AND DOING A GREAT JOB FOR YOUR JASPER GIRL!
    Keep up the good work. It is confusing, but those numbers are important and so is the testing!!!!! GO GIRL GO!

:RAHCAT

So glad she is doing ok with the home testing as well! Makes for an easier job all the way around!

51. slb1107

slb1107 Guest

Thanks everyone! I finally gave her .75u at 8PM which would be +22 I think. She went and hid under the bed and wouldn't come out or I would have given it to her sooner. I'll test again in the morn

52. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Can everyone who is working with this cat please take note...

1. highly overdosed for a while on H...I think 5units BID, no testing. Still on H.
    2. reduced dose to I think 2u and seeing green.
    3....and this is REALLY important. Unless I am missing something....did this cat shoot up to pink last night on NO SHOT and do a self come down to 91 this morning?

Thoughts? I'll check again...but this is def. noteworthy...and kitty trying real hard to otj.

Also Sara...it's ok to just type .75 in the dose box of your chart, I noticed you left it blank and wrote it out in the column.

53. slb1107

slb1107 Guest

AMPS 486 1u

54. slb1107

slb1107 Guest

Took 3 tests this morning to get a strip to work! Kept getting error message :( And her # was high this morning. It was +8 since last shot.

55. slb1107

slb1107 Guest

Alright...vet would only call in a prescription...so I will get that either later today or this weekend. He said that most experts don't prescribe the glargin(sp) and they dont' see many benefits of it. Is that true? I don't wanna pay $200 for it to not help.

56. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sara,
    Your vet sadly is as out of date with feline diabetes as most of them.
    The insulin you are getting is a hundred percent better on your cat than the one you are using.
    Lori

57. slb1107

slb1107 Guest

Well I decided to go ahead and purchase the Lantus pens from a canadian pharmacy (saw the link on another post)..5 pens for $107.99! My vet doesn't have prescription pads so they are going to fax them and then they just gotta sign something and send it back! Yay! Hopefully this was a good deal.

58. slb1107

slb1107 Guest

AMPS 486 1u
    +6 237

59. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Nice easy drop.

60. slb1107

slb1107 Guest

AMPS 486 1u
    +6 237
    PMPS 215 1u

61. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sara, with the H you shot kind of high for that number.
    Can you get a check in at +2?

62. slb1107

slb1107 Guest

AMPS 486 1u
    +6 237
    PMPS 215 1u
    +3.5 139

Is that good?

63. Sara,
    Yes, that is good. Not too steep of a drop. If possible, check her at +5 or +6, unless that's too late for you. At that point, we will see how much lower she plans on going tonight.

Carl

64. slb1107

slb1107 Guest

AMPS 486 1u
    +6 237
    PMPS 215 1u
    +3.5 139

9/1/11
    AMPS 385 1u

65. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Good work Sara, So happy to see you are down with the testing.

66. slb1107

slb1107 Guest

Yeah I'm doin my best!

AMPS 486 1u
    +6 237
    PMPS 215 1u
    +3.5 139

9/1/11
    AMPS 385 1u
    +5 225

67. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

ya know, I would'nt be all that surprised if he went lower last night and is bouncing up today.
    it will be very interesting once you get your lantus and we see a curve.
    unless of course...you'd like to curve him before that......would be very telling!

68. slb1107

slb1107 Guest

I think her little ears are starting to hurt...what can I use on them? Im gonna buy neosporin w/pain relief..I think I saw someone recommend it.

69. Caitlyn and Molly

Caitlyn and Molly Member

I'd ask your vet what a safe ointment to use on her ears would be. I saw someone on here mention Neosporin+Pain Relief as well before, but I'm not sure if it's actually safe. I know with dogs it's not because they can't metabolize what is used for pain relief. I don't know if it's the same with cats, but I'd check first.

70. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

Do you know what size lancets you are using??? Sometimes that makes a difference as well... I use the neo + pain and small gauge lancet too.
    Also, you can use a flash lite to shine from the under side and see where you have been poking, change the location of new test poke.

71. slb1107

slb1107 Guest

PMPS 427 1u

72. Lug

Lug Member

Have you received and started the Lantus yet? Looking at your numbers I would guess not. I don't think you'll get anything better with N than the roller coaster you've been seeing, we didn't.

Get the Lantus as soon as possible! We had numbers just like yours until we switched, we started with 1U Lantus and are down to .5U now.
    Humulin is hell.
    Godspeed

73. slb1107

slb1107 Guest

Lantus will arrive in 7-10 days..just got the email

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.