Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

Boy did I have a scare this morning. I fed her and then she tested over 400. I ga e her 1.5 u of Vetsulin. I have to go to a Dr appointment this morning. My daughter is here watching the pets.

2. Alexi

Alexi Member

She has definitely earned a dose reduction with that. Can you update your spreadsheet and post your PMPS and we can have a look.

3. Callie & Patches

I will, I nust got home and I have to feed lunch to DH and then put groceries away. I will test Callie, then update the SS. I had just started a new batch of strips and haven't checked them out with the control solution. It was the low AMPS of 54 that scared me. I gave her a larger breakfast then usual. He numbers have been higher this week so I ws really supprised.

4. Callie & Patches

I think 54 is in the Hypo range.
    I'm glad I test. If I had given her tbe full dose, we might have lost her.

5. Alexi

Alexi Member

54 is in the hypo range with the alphatrak, fortunately by that point there would not have been any insulin on board so she was safe at that number but needed to be fed. Some cats do not display any hypo symptoms at all, until it all goes horribly wrong...she may bounce a bit today but I would definitely give a lower dose this evening as you don't know how low she went overnight, better to let her run a bit high until you can do another curve.

6. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

For future reference, any reading of 68 or below is a warning of the possibility of hypoglycemia on the AlphaTrak meter.

If you get a low pre-shot test, we recommend stalling 20 minutes or so without feeding, then retesting to see if kitty's BG is rising or not. If BG is not rising on it's own, stall and retest again and if you cannot stall, it would best to feed her and skip the shot if reading is very low as it was today. Despite the food spike, that low number calls into question how low she went the night before and whether Callie's pancreas is now sputtering back to work since the effects of Caninsulin do not usually last the full 12 hours....certainly not to that degree! If Callie did go particularly low last night, she may be more sensitive to insulin right now so reducing her dose is definitely in order and I would strongly recommend checking her at +2 & +3 tonight to see how fast she is dropping and possibly +4 just to make sure she stays safe even if her PMPS seems higher than usual.

When you get a moment, can you fix your spreadsheet to show the reading of 400 in the PMPS as well as the 53 so folks don't get the idea you shot on a reading of 53 and panic. :)

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  7. Callie & Patches

oh, I didn't think of that. I will fix it in a while. I will give her a reduced dose tonight and again tomorrow as I will be gone from +3-+5. I don't want to be worrying while I'm gone.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  8. MrWorfMen's Mom

Donna, Your thread indicates you gave Callie 1.5u this morning whereas the spreadsheet says 1u so can you correct that to whatever it was you actually gave too:). Tomorrow, it would be ideal to get a +2 test in before you leave to see how fast she is dropping and leave food out for her if need be. If Callie happens to have another very low AMPS, I'd post for dosing advice or just skip the shot. If her pancreas is starting to work again, she could become a little unpredictable so better a little high for the day than too low. ;)

9. Callie & Patches

I will be here till +3, so I can try to get in a couple of tests. This AM, dose was a little over 1. Not quite 1.25. We didn't have much time as we were on a tight schedule. Doctors get grumpy if we're late.

I will be testing in early hours tomorrow morning. It's so scary when the numbers jump around so much. I have to take doxy, Joey , to the vet tomorrow, I can ask about Callie's numbers. She also gets copy of our SS.

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  10. Callie & Patches

+2 bedttest is 335. Who knows how low it will be later tonight.

11. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Just a quick note.....next time you get a test that's THAT unexpected, test again immediately.....it's very possible that it was just a bad strip this morning

With her jumping up that high after just being fed, I really think it was probably a bad strip

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  12. MrWorfMen's Mom

Callie started at roughly the same as she did last night and has dropped 10 points less than last night in 2 hours on the 2u. So she doesn't seem to be dropping exceptionally fast. With the reduced dose tonight she's probably fine. Chris makes a good point that it may have been a bad strip this morning. Maybe grab one more test before heading off to bed even if it's at +2.5 post shot just to make sure she is still dropping gently.

13. Callie & Patches

I tested her at +5 =334. Will be testing till after numbers start going up.

14. Callie & Patches

15. MrWorfMen's Mom

Oh Donna, I certainly hope I didn't give you the idea you needed to make sure she was rising last night before you went to bed. I only suggested the test at 2 1/2 hours post shot to be absolutely sure she was safe. When you get 2 numbers like 335 and 334, we consider them the same because there is always some meter variance and that can be up to 20%. Callie was surfing or dropping very slowly at +5 in which case, when numbers are aren't low, you don't need to worry about her. Even the 302 at +7 indicates she was dropping very slowly and that drop still falls within that 20% allowed meter variance. I hope you finally got some sleep!:)

16. Callie & Patches

I got some sleep. I set the alarm on my cellphone so I could sleep between tests. I had some problems staying awake long enough to do the testing. If I needed to stay up, I would have. Luckily, Callie didn't have such low numbers this morning. I hope I'm not turning into a worry wort.

17. MrWorfMen's Mom

You are still at that stage in the game where you learning to do this dance and it doesn't help when our kitties suddenly decide to change the steps on us. Make sure you look after yourself first and you will do just fine. Callie needs you so if she runs a bit high for a night so you can get some needed sleep, then so be it. We've all been the "helicopter" parents but as you settle into a routine and understand Callie better, this will all get much easier and the worry will decrease too.

18. Callie & Patches

Thank you for all your good advice. I know we will get things worked out. I'm retired, so I can usually sneak in a nap in the daytime. I don't understand how people with a full time job do this. It's gotta be hard to leave your pet home alone to go to work. I was a stay at home mom for all my kids, human and furbabies.

19. MrWorfMen's Mom

I know exactly what you mean. I am retired too and cannot imagine what a basket case I would be if I knew my sweet girl was going to be alone all day given the long hours I worked. And I'm not sure my hubby would have been much of a help because as much as he loved the daylights out of them, he was always reluctant to get involved in any "medical" issues for the animals except for holding them so I could deal with pills, eye drops, etc....even nail trims. As it is now, I usually have control over my schedule so no problem planning around her tests and shots but there are still those last minute invitations when I sometimes have to bite the bullet and delay her shot or shoot low to accommodate. Mama needs some "me" time too!

JeffJ likes this.
  20. Callie & Patches

I have heard of family leave so people can take time to care for family members, I wonder if that includes pets.

Olive & Paula likes this.
  21. MrWorfMen's Mom

22. Callie & Patches

Callie's numbers have been pretty flat today300's and 200s. I might have shot a fur shot tonight. I was sure it was a good shot, but she moved just as I was pushing the plunger. I don't think we will have any surprises tonight or tomorrow's morning. I will start with a vew vial of Vetsulin. I should be running a curve tomorrow. I will have time then. Im hoping to get. thungs bach to back to normal.

23. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

That's one thing about Lantus....if you give a furshot, you know it!! It has a very distinctive (and strong) smell!!

I really think that 53 yesterday morning was a bad strip....these numbers she's getting since then have made a lot more sense....although still too high

You might look into switching to Lantus....it's a lot better insulin for most cats.

Get some much needed sleep while you can, Donna!!

JeffJ likes this.
  24. Callie & Patches

Her AMPS was 354.I'm hoping the new vial of Vetsulin will help get things on track. I have time to do a curv today. I also need to up date her SS.

JeffJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.