AMPS 6.1 (110) - do I give Lantus??

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Pandasmom, Mar 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pandasmom

Pandasmom Member

Odie's been on Lantus for about a month now, currently getting 3 units twice a day.

We're in the process of switching from Dexamethasone to Budesonide. Last night was the start of the process. He had 1mg Budesonide. This morning at 6am he had 0.37mg Dexasone + 1/4 Pepcid AC tablet. (I have to give him his pills a couple of hours before breakfast because he won't eat otherwise due to the reduced dose of Dex these last few weeks in preparation for the switch).

8am - I tested BG twice (each ear) pre-shot - 6.1 (110) and 6.2 (111). Normally he's in the 10-14 (180-250) range pre-shot.

We expect that his BG levels will drop as we progress through the switch and gradually remove the Dex... but his Dex hasn't been decreased again yet! The only change was the addition of the Budesonide last night.

I haven't given him his morning insulin yet.

Waiting for vet to arrive...

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

It takes a while for the BG to adjust to decreased Dex and you said you decreased it a couple of weeks ago. The BGs may only be coming down now. With such a low PS I would be hesitant to shoot the normal dose. Maybe a reduced dose would be appropriate but I do not know your past BG values.

3. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

The short answer is "yes, probably". But it's a bit more involved than that. This is a question you should take to the Lantus board .... but, you need to look at your data. When does his insulin kick in? Usually 3-4 hours after the shot? Then what is likely to happen is that the BGs will rise over the next few hours and then the insulin will kick in. If you skip a shot, you will empty his 'shed" and it will throw everything off.

So, you can wait an hour and retest, which will allow you to confirm that the BG is rising. Once you see that, you can shoot. And then you can decide if you want to shoot a full dose or a reduced one (I would suggest a reduced dose, but the Lantus people can help more).

4. Pandasmom

Pandasmom Member

5. Dawn & Nova

Dawn & Nova Well-Known Member

Based on a quick glance at your spreadsheet.. I would have skipped the AM shot.. seems common for your cat to have a decent drop in the first 2 hours.. and this preshot is pretty low compared to what you have been seeing.. did your cat change the time on all the clocks while you were sleeping??? :)

I think your vet made a good call.. test when you can to get information on what happens today..

Disclaimer: Whether what I would have done, is the "right" thing to do.. I'll let the more experienced people chime in on that.. but I would have skipped the shot and flapped my arms and made chicken noises and been perfectly ok with it! :).

6. Pandasmom

Pandasmom Member

6.2 (111) 3 hours after breakfast, no insulin.

This is so weird.

I will keep monitoring through the day and see what to do with this evening's dose.

7. cjleo

cjleo Member

Sounds like someone pancreas has decided to wake up!

I have Vinnie and he is giving me similar numbers. 70 pmps and 109 amps this morning. I have stopped the Lantus since I was giving a skimpy 1u.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Claudia

8. Pandasmom

Pandasmom Member

and we're on our way back up :roll:
    11.7 (210) at +7

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.