AMPS 78 after reduction. Whaa?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by RuBee, Aug 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RuBee

RuBee Member

Rufus, Rufus, Rufus! We had a very bad start to the day and it required both Mom and me to hold him steady for one measly blood drop. We had some vocal complaints (Rufus doesn't typically "growl", he makes a low whining noise - kind of funny, if it weren't for the circumstances) and a lot of very strong physical resistance (have I ever mentioned how big he is?). When I offered him a nernie he chomped them out of my hand, but he accepted the flakes in his breakfast. What I'm really glad for is the fact that he had a mani/pedi last week!

Now I'm not quite sure what to do. I lowered his dose last night (and by more than I had meant to, I realized afterward, although it's accurate in the SS) to see what would happen since his numbers looked shiny and happy during the day. Today I got 78 for an AMPS at 7:10. I'm kind of a afraid to test him again in a few hours, he was in such a bad mood when he ran off. nailbite_smile

The moral of the story is "I don't get Lantus" :?

2. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Wow - maybe another reduction is in order -- this is a lovely number.

Read the Lantus sticky post about "becoming Data Ready to shoot lower numbers" or similar title.

Since Lantus and Levemir stay in the body for longer than 12 hours, you will need to start shooting at BGs less than the beginner's cutoff of 200.

After treating my diabetics for months and testing at least twice per day -- we are comfortable shooting a 78 because we know how they are going to react. Both my diabetics are "well regulated" ---- blood sugar stays in the normal range for most of the day/night. They only eat low carb canned food, and they each only need 0.25u BID Levemir. (a coincidence that both are on the same dose)

3. RuBee

RuBee Member

I wish I were more confident with this! I have so little consistent data that I'm really afraid to make too many changes. At 78, I'm not really sure how much to give. When I read the protocol (and I try to every day) I have the same mental reaction each time: "Durr".

I know it takes a while for Lantus to onset - he's already eaten and it's been about an hour and forty-five minutes. I think I'll retest now (or try to anyway). If nobody hears from me in a while, expect that I've been taken by the beast. :lol:

Edit:

Aaaaaaand... 74? Ok, I gave his shot a little late last night. He's just over the +12 mark. This poor little boy is getting poked all day today whether he likes it or not! What on earth is his little Pancreas doing? ohmygod_smile

... (He's trying to play with a fifteen-year-old dog, too. Not a good idea!)

4. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

If you are going to be home to monitor, you have several choices...

1. give full dose and see what happens
    2. give half dose (or some reduction) and see what happens (Shed will start to deplete)
    3. skip shot and see what happens (shed will deplete)

To give Rufus's ears a break, you can test every 2 hours or so and just watch his behavior -- if he is feeling good (playing, preening, purring), no worries. Napping is normal too, but harder to tell if he is feeling good or not. Easier to get a blood test when he is sleepy though :)

p.s. I'm at work, so I won't be able to watch closely today. Hopefully someone else is online to help?

5. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Ok, I am not a lantus expert, but I don't think anyone would suggest giving at 78...

6. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

just linking Bee's thread from the Lantus forum, to keep the Health members updated.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=22203

:razz:

7. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

This happens quite often actually for kitties that are tightly regulated. See Yoda's spreadsheet. Once you zero in on the right dose on Lantus, the curves actually become fairly flat. Dose reductions are based off of nadir and not preshot.

It looks like you are going through cycles of building up the shed and then getting a low blue or upper green number, panicking, lowering the dose/skipping shot, and then starting the cycle all over again. Consistency is key. Lantus does not like to be changed around all the time. You can maybe try 1.75u BID and see where that gets you if the green preshots are too daunting.

8. Jen & Squeak

Thanks Kelly, guess I'm wrong, has happened before. I did think I'd read jojo or someone posting about numbers like that but I don't spend much time in lantus land so its entirely possible I got it wrong. Times have sure changed since the older insulins!

Jen

9. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

No problem Jen! Didn't mean to call you out - guess it kinda came off like that ohmygod_smile Lantus/levemir are just dosed completely different than any other insulin out there :D

10. Jen & Squeak

No no, its ok. I I know it is different but I guess I'm just not up enough on the nuances...

11. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

Actually, I would say you are both right. And I am adding this in for any newbies that may be reading.
    Bee is just starting to test. A 78 is not a number for someone who does not have data to shoot. ever.
    no matter what insulin.
    Yes, lantus is dosed by nadir as you say kelly but it is important in this case to emphasize your other statement that " it happens for kitties that are tightly regulated. "
    in other words for those who have the data and experience to do so. ( There is the sticky in Lantus ISG as Phoebe pointed out that explains how to get that data ! )

I feel it is very important to make this distinction and to repeat it often !! Especially for newbies who may see lower numbers being shot.
    Bee has done the right thing in the past few days. She is new at testing. She has no data to shoot lower numbers, so she either lowered her dose or skipped or shot late. Great job Bee!

I think it should be mentioned that the comfort of the person shooting always needs to be considered.

12. Jen & Squeak

Thanks Cheryl for explaining it much better than I did :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.