AMPS=99,waited 30'=112 HELP, PLEASE

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by greenae, Sep 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greenae

greenae Member

Hi. I feel like I am asking so many questions. But I am not sure about this AM shot. Please check my numbers. I haven't given the shot, but she is bugging me to eat. She had a little Classic with each BG test. I did the second test 30 minutes after the first, and got 112. Give 0.5u PZI? Or wait some more?

2. Re: AMPS=99,+0.5=112 HELP, PLEASE

I replied in yesterday's thread, but I would not advise shooting under 120, ever.

If you get a 120-150 in another thirty minutes, then I think a lower dose, like .5 is OK. You would want to test again around +3 as well.

3. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: AMPS=99,+0.5=112 HELP, PLEASE

I agree. I am a little more conservative than Carl. My bottom line is 150 until you have a lot of data.

I know you only have weekends and you want her OTJ, but I think you need to give it some time. The insulin takes weeks in some cats to fully work as does a food change. Continually pushing the envelope early in the game can be very dangerous.

4. Re: AMPS=99,+0.5=112 HELP, PLEASE

I copied that from your other thread to keep it all in this one.

I would not be overly concerned with "schedule" using prozinc. It is much more flexible than Lantus. As long as you know for sure that the BG is rising, and not because of food, you can shoot Prozinc as early as +10 or as late as +14 when you need to. You just need to see a rising, non-food boosted number.

5. greenae

greenae Member

Thank you, Bob. I am able to monitor and frequently test on days off, so I am being overly annoying this weekend. We are in this game for only 18 days, and the change in her food has really made a difference. Hoping to be green today, and no hypo! :smile:

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If the morning pre-shot is too low to safely shoot, take a look back to the previous evening's pre-shot and dose. That may need a slightly lower dose than what you gave.

7. greenae

greenae Member

Thanks, BJ! I gave her 0.5u PZI, and I will test her frequently today. I very much appreciate your advice! :smile:

8. greenae

greenae Member

+3=139

+3 =139.
    Only ate 2/3 of breakfast. Had diarrhea 2x in past 24 hours. Still a lot more urine than before this adventure began.

9. greenae

greenae Member

+6 =95

10. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

That's a nice nadir level.

11. greenae

greenae Member

Thanks, we're working on it! Thank you for great advice!

12. greenae

greenae Member

09-23-13 Day 7 FF Classic

AMPS=130
    Gave 1u PZI
    +9 (actually 8.5) = 90

PMPS = 146
    Gave 1u PZI
    :smile:

13. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

lots of lovely greens and blues. Now I am not a PZI expert but I wonder if 0.25 will allow you to shoot twice a day instead of skipping? I dont know if there is a slight carryover..

Wendy

14. greenae

greenae Member

I am wondering that, too. It would be easier than this guessing game, that's for sure! nailbite_smile

15. There isn't usually much carryover with pzi. That said, it's supposed to last between 10-14 hours and onset between +2 or +3, so it is "possible" that there is a little overlap.

16. greenae

greenae Member

If there's not much carryover, it seems Bubbles pancreas are trying to make a comeback? Every few days I get pretty low AMPS and PMPS. I am down to 0.25u and hoping I am doing the right thing. Her PMPS was 124 tonight, so I gave her the 0.25. Fingers crossed she keeps this up!

17. Keep this in mind....
    Normal BG range is 40-120

As long as you keep seeing numbers in this range (and yes, 124 is close enough:) ), and you are seeing numbers you feel good about shooting that .25u at, just see what happens. All of the numbers you're seeing lately are good, healing numbers. Bubbles is getting better every day. :D

Even when you've skipped, the numbers have not risen significantly. The goal here is to find the dose that will let you feel comfortable shooting twice a day. That way, insulin is able to help around the clock instead of only half the time.

And in the case where you aren't OK with shooting because the number is too low, or you won't be able to test later in the cycle, don't hesitate to skip.

18. greenae

greenae Member

Thank you, Carl. I understand all of what you are saying. That 40-120 range...is that using the human (ReliOn) meter? Or am I supposed to add 20-30 to the numbers I am getting? (Cause she is sooo close! :cool: )

19. Yes, 40-120 is normal on a human meter.

If you use a pet meter like an alphatrack, it'd be 70-150.

She is very close :mrgreen:

20. greenae

greenae Member

Thank you!! Big WOW! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.