AMPS at 171??

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ErinElizabeth, Jul 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErinElizabeth

ErinElizabeth Member

How is this possible? After the numbering he was throwing last night.
    He doesn't seem to be real hungry, ate a few bites. But nothing like the typical voracious feed me or else morning I'm used to having.... Normal otherwise.

2. ErinElizabeth

ErinElizabeth Member

I think I remember reading not to shoot below 200??! But now he eating and that is raising the glucose, so I should shoot right? Oh I should have woken up earlier and had more coffee....

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

From yesterday's post
    +6 300, +8 325, +10 297

PMPS was 340
    Chinookie then eats about 3oz and gets 4 units.
    Also discussed that he is getting topical sterioids that tend to raise BG

Now AM PS 171

I would not give any insulin this morning

4. ErinElizabeth

ErinElizabeth Member

I'll leave for work at about 8:45 and usually check to see if the kitty wants anything more to eat.
    Then I won't be home till 1-2pm. I'm afraid to give a shot when he's so low and I wouldn't be here. But I'm also a little afraid to go back to the excessive drinking and peeing. What's the result of not giving a dose? Could I give a reduced dose?
    Should I test when I get home? I'll be here then the rest of the afternoon/evening so if numbers go back higher ill just do the scheduled shot at PM right?

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

If you test at +2 and get a number above 200 I would give 1 unit if he at well this morning and kept the food down. Teh test when you get back at ~ 1 PM

6. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

That's too low to give any of the Humulin N. We don't know how low 4U would take Chinookie. I think you need to skip the shot this morning or greatly reduce.

"Better too high for a day, than too low for a minute."

High numbers can do damage over time. Low numbers can kill in hours.

Please, do not give Chinookie any insulin this morning at that low number. That's my recommendation.

I like Larry's suggestion to give 1U IF the BG is >200 and food has been kept down.

7. ErinElizabeth

ErinElizabeth Member

Ok, +2 = 227.
    I gave one unit and more food. He's probably going to have eaten a total of 4 oz this morning.
    I'll keep you posted when I get home.

8. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Sounds good, see you later when you get back home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.