AMPS BG #s creeping up

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by gt2192c, Dec 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gt2192c

gt2192c Member

Background: Tia 14 years old, DX 9/3/2013, fed exclusively Fancy Feast Pate approved varieties with Classic Chicken over 50% and alternating the other 50% with Classic Beef, Turkey, Cod, Seafood. All Fancy Feast, All Classic Pate.
    Tia's BG Log - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing
    Tia was first diagnosed with diabetes on 9/3/2013 when she went into DKA. She spent 5 days in the animal hospital. She refused to eat and I was advised to syringe feed her. I syringed fed her until mid October (Approximately 1.5 months). For most of October she was OTJ. November we started dosing her every 2-3 days, today, we dosed her 2 days in a row. I do not PMPS as I'm paranoid about her going HYPO. She is on PZI with 40u syringes.
    As of about 2 weeks ago, she is finishing her food, licking up every morsel of Fancy Feast Classic we give to her. At the same time, I have also noticed her BGs going up slightly, between 150 and 214. We have her on TR which means we give her 1/2 dose 150 - 175 and 1 full dose over 175. We are using a Relion Micro BG monitor. We have never dosed her over 1 unit.
    I also give her 1/4 tab Pepcid AC every other day as she throws up if we do not. I also give her 1/10 tab milk thistle, and 1/4 tab methly B-12 daily.

To summarize, my cat is finally eating, but now her BGs are going up slightly to around 200 AMPS. Is the eating contributing to the increase in BG? Is this something I should be concerned about? Is there something I should be looking for? Otherwise, Tia is doing great, she purrs and is back to her old self.

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

You might try shooting a smaller amount twice daily. Our theory is that the pancreas is active for awhile and then "rests" and a tiny bit of insulin helps it out. If you want, you can shoot smaller amounts by using U100 needles and the conversion chart

http://www.felinediabetes.com/insulin-conversions.htm

Both Simon'sMommy and Misty are in your situation on the PZI forum and are using similiar approaches in their OTJ journey. You might check out their spreadsheets

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewforum.php?f=24

3. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the board

Do we know what us causing her to throw up? Has she always done that?

Have you checked the milk thistle and B12 pills for sugars? carbs? Xylitol (toxic)

Wendy

4. gt2192c

gt2192c Member

Hello and thanks for the responses.

To answer your questions: Tia started throwing up occasionally after she turned 11 years old. We never got an answer why from the vet. During her 5 days in the animal hospital, vet gave her a shot for nausea to control the vomiting. We just figured it was a symptom from her diabetes.

Methyl B-12 - according to the bottle - No artificial sweetener, no sugar, no starch, no milk, no lactose, no soy, no gluten, no wheat, no yeast, sodium free. Other ingredients, Vegetable Stearic Acid, Silica, Vegetable Magnesium Stearate, Natural Cherry Flavor, Vegetable Cellulose.

Milk Thistle - according to the bottle - No artificial sweetener, no sugar, no starch, no milk, no lactose, no soy, no gluten, no wheat, no yeast, sodium free. Other ingredients, Gelatin

Tia was AMPS 107 yesterday and 177 AMPS today.
    I'd be willing to stop the Methyl B-12 and milk thistle for a few days to see if that would help.
    Thanks

5. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Does she eat at night? When the pancreas is helping out a little, small frequent meals are thought to help support it. If she eats overnight, that might help with a lower amps.

6. gt2192c

gt2192c Member

Yes, I put out 3 oz of Fancy Feast Pate (1 can) every 12 hours, approximately 9 AM and 9 PM. Unfortunately, I taught her to be a grazer from 13 years of her being on dry cat food. She doesn't eat all 3 oz at once, she paces herself and finishes 1 can in about 8 hours.

7. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Hey, grazing is good for our sugarkitties. Can't do that myself, since I have two civies that are absolute Hoovers, Dysons, Shop-vacs. ohmygod_smile

8. gt2192c

gt2192c Member

Thanks. I just remembered today that when she was going OTJ, I was also giving her FortiFlora. I think I will start giving her probotics again.

9. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

It certainly won't do any harm!

Are you only shooting once a day?

10. gt2192c

gt2192c Member

When she was first diagnosed, we tested and shot every 12 hours. Lately we are testing once per day and her BG is only over 150 every other day.
    Her AMPS was 297 this morning. That's the highest home testing # I've ever encountered. Since she was so high this morning, I'm going to go back to 2X testing.

11. Sue and Oliver (GA)

297 is definitely a diabetic number. Does she come down after she eats? If so, that might mean her pancreas is working at least a little, but unless she is in double digits on her own mid cycle, it may need help. If she were mine, I would give a small dose (under .5 units) and monitor carefully.

12. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Would you please add the insulin you are using and the meter you are using to test with to your signature? It would be really nice to have that information readily available with a glance at your signature.

Thanks.

13. gt2192c

gt2192c Member

I've added PZI & Relion Micro to my signature.
    Her PMPS tonight was 150. We decided not to shoot.
    We'll check her again in the morning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.