AMPS is 132, low numbers all night what to do?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sarah and Baby, Aug 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarah and Baby

Sarah and Baby Member

Baby's had low numbers all night although i didn't catch a hypo, she's been active most of the night...

Right now her BS is 132. I've been skipping a lot of doses for low numbers, don't really want to do it again. What should I do?

Will be gone for the next 8 hours so won't be able to monitor her.

Just switched from 1.25u to 1.5u.

See Curve

2. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Can you leave extra food out for her? Maybe even some MC in a timed feeder? Do you have any neighbors, friends, or relatives that can stop in and check on her, while you're out?

3. Sarah and Baby

Sarah and Baby Member

My room mate should be home most of the day today. I'm thinking that I'm going to shoot her as normal today and have room mate watch for hypo. D/T starting split schedule tonight, and skipping so many shots this past week d/t low numbers, I want to keep her on as regular a schedule as possible.

4. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

What kind of insulin is Baby on? Sorry, I don't remember.
    Can you stall a little bit, and get another test before shooting?

Let's see what others have to say.

5. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

Sarah, that sounds like a good plan if your roommate will be around. One sign of low numbers not mentioned that shows up on the longer acting insulins like Lantus (she is using Lantus) is extreme hunger. My cat will sit at his bowl and eat for longer than normal.

Generally symptomatic hypos on the longer acting insulins are uncommon, especially at lower doses. Symptomatic being the glassy-eyed, out-of-it behavior where they will circle a room.

I think she will be fine. Her numbers that you got last night look good and so does this AMPS! Those are good, steady BGs for Lantus or Levemir. Good job!

6. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I see you shot. I'd get at least another test before you leave. And print out the Hypo link for your room mate, just in case.
    Nice Hooting! Good luck and have a good day. :D

7. Vicky,
    With Lantus you shoot based on nadir numbers rather than on PS numbers, correct? So the mid cycle readings are really important (based on an individuals ability to get them given everyone's schedule of course.)
    Edit - Sarah, good job getting those PM mid-cycles. The more data the better!
    Carl

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sarah, I just looked at your SS. I don't see any problem...other than this one little issue...are we sure you were'nt shooting a still falling number?
    From what I can see the amps was the lowest number in the cycle that you caught....it could be the lowest she ever got.
    You use Lantus right?
    Regardless of the insulin we never want to shoot into a still dropping number and the only way to know is to wait 15 or 20 minutes and test again.
    Lori

9. Sarah and Baby

Sarah and Baby Member

Lori: I did test her again one half hour after the first test and she was rising (see notes on SS)

I just did a +2 and she is still rising slightly, she is now at 154. i feel very good about giving her the shot this morning.

Thank you for the help everyone!

10. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

Good advice, Lori. A second test a bit later is not always possible though. So Sarah, my suggestion for the future is to test at least an hour before you have to give the shot, also test before giving the shot to see what the BG change is. Steady or higher is shootable, dropping 20 points or more is not.

Dose increases and decreases should be based on nadir, but not be changed unless you had 50 or below or have given a dose several days to show what it can do.

Just saw Sarah's reply. Sarah, you should feel good about giving that dose! And the after results show what happens with most semi-low preshots, there is a rise over the next 2 hours. Many times skipping a shot or reducing the dose is counter-productive as the cycle then has to draw from the shed to keep stable BGS when keeping BGs stable is what these longer-acting insulins want to do. Shed becomes depleted and the next preshot is not only higher but it takes at least another cycle to refill shed.

So that's why Sarah did the right thing. But every owner's comfort zone is different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.