AMPS of 392 trying to raise dose a little

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by lovey11, Aug 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovey11

lovey11 Well-Known Member

Looking for some dose help.

It looks like 1.25 is too low. Yesterday when I gave about 1.35 , the preshot was 172, but was rising. I had a 224 after waiting 1 hour. My cat ate and then in 30 minutes gave 1.25 and Amps was 392.

Should I do the curve on the higher dose that I tried yesterday? I want to give higher than 1.25 AGAIN -about 1.35. what do you think? I am going to buy the u-100 needles

to be more accurate. Although I am a little scared to change needles.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

We evaluate how well the insulin is working by how LOW it goes, not by how high the pre-shots are.

We need you to get tests around the middle of the time between shots, when we expect the glucose to be its lowest. For ProZinc, this is roughly 5-6 hours after the shot.

So, stick with your dose and get a test 5 hours later and maybe another one 6 hours later. This should show us how low he goes.
    You put these test in the spreadsheet under the column which is the number of hours since the shot.

3. lovey11

I have some midcycle numbers on my spreadsheet. If you have anytime, tell me what you think. I am going to try a curve on Sunday or at least get three or four readings.

4. lovey11

You are right, but I don't want her spending a lot of time with Bg's over 300. Do you think the insulin can wear off a little too early though. She might be going to that level a few hours before next shot and then it probably take 2 hours before the next shot works, etc.

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

In some cats, Prozinc may wear off by +10 hours.

See what you think of these ideas: Supplemental Techniques in Regulating Your Diabetic Cat

Another idea, seldom used, is to divide the AM and PM shots in half and consistenty give the 2nd half 2 or 3 hours after the 1st half.
    You can read a bit about it here

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.