AMPS & PMPS schedules/ freeze dried treats

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Michelle & Prudence, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

I am curious what time AMPS and PMPS are being taken. I've kind of seen a pattern with Pru's SS whenever we go + 9 or +16 etc. this of course changes the shot times, but with Pru her afternoon BG's always seem higher. She also drops lower in the PM. Maybe I'm just bored, haha but if anyone would like to share... I'd appreciate it ;-)

Another thing - who all feeds freeze dried salmon or shrimp treats? how many do you give and do you give it everyday?

2. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

We do the freeze dried tuna flakes and it depends on who gives it. If it's me, a few pieces, if it's the kids, it's like a Golden Corral buffet.

Ari historically is higher at her morning PS than her night. Don't know why. Then again, when she throws off shot times, things go all sorts of wonky.

Tell me you got some sleep!!

3. Jane & Boo (GA)

Jane & Boo (GA) Member

Silverado will kill for freeze dried Salmon chunks. He endures all sorts of physical poking and prodding because he knows at the end of it all, he gets two chunks. I have claw marks from shin to shoulders from him climbing up me to get them from my hands because I'm apparently too slooooow getting them out of the container. He gets 2 small chunks after each BG test. He just loves the days when I do extra testing.

As for any trends with his tests? .... I wish I did see some trends. His numbers tend to bounce around randomly... but mostly in the yellows. Sometimes PM is higher than AM; sometimes it's the other way around. I guess that's why they say "every cat is different".

Jane & Silverado

4. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

I buy the Pure Bites freeze dried chicken breast DOG treats, because they are much more affordable than the CAT treats, and we use a lot of them. I don't really uses them as rewards, I give them, along with tablespoons of food, to keep that steady flow of Mr P action going. Supposedly acrocats have a functioning pancreas, just filled up insulin receptor sites.

If you are wondering about them raising the BG, I have wondered the same thing.

5. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

We feed freeze dried shrimp and liver, though Oscar has gotten tired of the shrimp (!?). I haven't noticed it raising his bg at all. We shoot at 6:30 am/pm and he usually dips lower at night than during the day. I have no idea why!

6. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

Thanks for the replies :D With the limited amount of info on FD; I found this link that was interesting to me. It's for humans of course, but it never hurts to read up and try to make some type of sense of all of this. Dawn Phenomenon http://www.bloodsugar101.com/

I came across this too: Lows occur in the middle of the night because the body is most sensitive to insulin between midnight and 3 a.m. Around 3 a.m., the liver starts to increase glucose production, causing the blood sugar to rise toward breakfast. http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_control_tips/hypoglycemia_prevention.php

I know this info is for humans, but I am trying to understand everything :smile:

7. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

I was going to mention Dawn Phenomenon, but I see you already found it. :smile:

I use mostly cooked chicken breast as testing treats because it's the most affordable. I do sometimes give freeze dried treats, aka Kitty Crack. I use both the Pure Bites for dogs, like Nancy mentioned, and sometimes I get Liv A Littles (as budget allows). The Pure Bites for dogs are indeed cheaper than the ones for kitties, who knows why. They definitely LOOOOOOOOVE the Liv A Littles. I get chicken or beef of all treats because Buzz is allergic to fish. I give one piece to Buzz after each test, and most times also give one each to the 2 civies. Sometimes if it's been a pokefest, I will give Buzz an extra piece at a couple of tests.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.