Amps371 nadir 250 opinions on a dose increase?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Margie and Jackson, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Margie and Jackson

Margie and Jackson Member

i think I’ll try a .25 increase. Haven’t seen a blue number in a couple weeks, but he seems stable. I’m surprised, actually, that his numbers are high since he seems to feel good.

Not so many tests lately as I’m waiting on test strips in the mail. Let me know if you have any input! Thanks for the help.

2. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

I agree on the increase, BUT when will the test strips be there?? I don’t know thst I would increase without being able to test him, are u completely out?
    Thoughts @carfurby @Bobbie And Bubba @Judy and Boomer

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  3. Margie and Jackson

I used the last few strips to do a curve Saturday. I’m wondering if I can substitute other strips. The new alphatrak ones aren’t coming until Wednesday. Slowest shipping ever.

I’ve been looking for other strips and the internet has everything priced pretty high. Close to $1 a strip, which the alphatrak strips are. Any recommended brands?

4. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

I use the relion prime, a lot of us do, the meter is 9.99 and strips 100 for 17.00 at Walmart, it’s a human meter

5. Margie and Jackson

That’s less than the new strips. Maybe I’ll pick one up today.

Amina&M'row likes this.
  6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

A couple of thoughts....

DM is very pricy, is about 7% carbs, and the composition of the food is really awful. Brands such as Fancy Feast and Friskies, the pate styles, are lower in carbs and likely a better set of ingredients. For what you're paying for prescription food, you can buy a much higher quality food (e.g., ZiwiPeak) at the equivalent price.

What dosing approach are your following? It looks like the 2.25u dose was held for quite some time. I do think it's a good idea to increase Jackson's dose but I'd likewise be hesitant if you can't test. FWIW, most of us tend to use a human meter because the strips are so much cheaper.

7. Margie and Jackson

I agree completely about the food. I tried to switch to Tiki cat and there was a terrible bout of stomach problems, so I went back to dm for awhile. Now I’m trying to slowly slowly switch to redbarn. I’ve been following whatever advice the vet gave me. Jackson was on 2units at the shelter, so I haven’t gone lower than that. Now, I want to follow SLGS method, and wait a week until I increase and try to get lower bg levels. Jackson was simply left untreated for at least several months so I think he won’t respond as quickly as other cats. I’m trying to give him time and not tinker with his dose too much. That said, he’s gained weight, increased mobility and is doing so much better.

I am considering which Relion to buy, or do you know alternative strips to use with alphatrak?
    Edited to add: I see Bellasmom uses the prime, which looks like the base model. Good to know.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    Reason for edit: add info
  8. Amina&M'row

Amina&M'row Member

M'row and I are very happy with our ReLion Prime; cost $10 to buy at Walmart, strips are very inexpensive. When I get a surprising result, I immediately re-check, and the second result has always been very close/identical with the first. I'm klutzy, we have hard floors; the meter had stood up fine to being dropped on the floor, too. FDA regulates accuracy standards for human meters, so I guess they all have to be pretty good. The ReLion is well within them. I think the name is silly, as it makes me think of a lion cloning itself, ah well. I got a second ReLion Prime for my hypo box; checked this out against the first one for test results, and they are spot-on.

Margie and Jackson likes this.
  9. Amina&M'row

Amina&M'row Member

Oh, and have you thought about treating the plantigrade stance? Many good articles here about that, people say they get great results after a few months. :)

Margie and Jackson likes this.
  10. Margie and Jackson

I don’t know any way to treat it beyond giving him Zobaline and trying to control his blood sugar. I’ve read everything I can find! Do you have any other suggestions?

It’s improving now, actually, but vets said I shouldn’t get my hopes up since he was neglected for so long.

11. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

Please do so. Besides being cost intuitive, it is always a good idea to have a back up (jic).;)