Amputate the leg? Or PTS?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sharyn & Fiona, Mar 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sharyn & Fiona

Sharyn & Fiona Member

We've got a kitty, Pirate, up for adoption that probably needs his leg amputated and definitely needs his eye removed - both previous injuries. We were just going to do the eye but then his paw started bleeding while at Petsmart. They rushed him to the vet and I'm supposed to get recommendations this AM.

We think originally he had an infection in the paw that destroyed some bones in his "wrist" making them a "mish-mash" of bones kinda floating around in there. It's possible that one of the bones broke through the skin and caused the bleeding which was pretty bad. One vet said we could fuse the joint but that would be thousands of dollars and Pirate may still have pain when he puts weight on the paw. He's not using the paw at all now.

One estimate for both eye and leg was $600-$800. I don't know what the hospital where he is now would charge. We've already gotten $300 pledged towards the surgery that's without any fundraising efforts yet. We'd have to raise the rest of the money. How many other kitties could we help with that money? But those kitties aren't in our care now and Pirate is.

He's only 4 yrs old, DSH black and is very friendly, although he does like to munch on your fingers a bit hard.

What happens if we do the surgery and he doesn't get adopted? Although 2 vets have said hard luck cases often get adopted quicker.

His mom died suddenly and the dead woman's mother has been working on placing her daughter's 10 cats. There are three left - including Pirate. The mother has two dogs that hate cats so she can't keep him long term. We did have two possible adopters just this week. One had to wait for payday - not good for a special needs cat. The other one may or may not still be interested.

What's best for Pirate? He can't walk on the paw now and the eye is useless and gets infected. Both vets I've talked to said tripod kitties do fine. The eye isn't a big deal to a cat I know.

Do we do the surgery or PTS? I hate to make the decision based on money. bleh! I'm new to this part of rescue and would appreciate any input.

2. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

Oh my...poor Pirate. Obviously if money weren't an issue I would opt for the amputation. And me being me, I would opt for it anyway. They do adapt relatively quickly after an amputation. It will be an adjustment but definitely one Pirate will overcome. Good luck on your decision!

3. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

I've seen many cats do well with three legs. One that used to live at Shoreline ER back when it was in Stratford, CT. That cat could even jump onto the counter.

I also adopted a one eyed cat years ago because the shelter told me no one else wanted her. She was a beautiful black kitty named Ursula, I loved her dearly.

4. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

If it can be done financially, I think having a tripod one eyed cat won't limit his quality of life at all. Whether it limits his adoptability I don't know, it might make him stand out and be more adoptable???

5. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

help him, don't pts - and give more details and well I may have sucker written on my forehead. i don't have steps so that might help him

6. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Sounds strange, but if it were a kitten, I would likely go for PTS, but a 4 YO, who has known a home and love, I would try to save.

Can you let us know the shelter name. Maybe post a link to their web page. I have a feeling some people here might like to donate for Pirate.

And that's a perfect name. Missing a leg and an eye. Folks will think you named him Pirate because of the disabilities.

V

PS--I'm putting a shadow link on Community because folks there might be interested in the donation part of this equation.

7. Susie and Moochie

Susie and Moochie Member

I would go for the surgery. That price, BTW, is dirt cheap. It cost me over $1100 to have Bo's eye enucleated this year.

8. Connie & Em (GA)

Connie & Em (GA) Member

I am probably going to be unpopular, but I understand the value of what the cost of one surgery could do for others that are going to walk through your door. Yes, Pirate is in your care, but you know full well that others will take his place. If you decide this route, you have my full support.

That being said, sometimes your heart and soul has to win out over finances. You are in this to save cats, and sometimes saving one at an extreme cost can keep you from being burnt out and keep you coming back and continuing the fight. If Pirate is that case for you, there is nothing wrong with that. (and I am not trying to convince you that he is)

It is true that tripods often find homes faster. Plain ol black cats sit in shelters with little interest, but a cat with three legs AND one eye might just be the difference that pulls at the right heart strings. I've seen cats adapt very quickly to the removal of a leg, and I'm sure he'll be thrilled that he is no longer in pain.

Connie

9. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I completely agree Sharyn. I will completely support your decision, whatever it is.

10. Susie and Moochie

Susie and Moochie Member

Connie, if that's an unpopular thought then so be it. I admit to not thinking of that because I am not in a shelter/rescue situation. Some of you here have to think more pragmatically about these things.

Sharyn, my "vote" fwiw is still the surgery but either direction you decide to go is the right one.

11. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

I totally agree. I think it will make him more adoptable than ever, being happy and healthy and three legged. Pirate is a great name. It's sad, but since he *needs* it, it will make him stand out from other black cats.

12. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Speaking as an owner of a 3 legged dog, back leg, now a GA.....a 3 legged cat, now a GA......two one eyed kitties, both GA's......and my newest, another 3 legged dog, I would opt for the surgery. He didn't ask for all this to happen to him and I know how the money could be better spent but....he deserves a chance just like others. Thank God that K9Stray Rescue took Gabby in, spent the money to try and save the leg and spent more money when it needed to be amputated. She is so much happier with that bad front leg off and all of my tripods have been able to haul butt. Gabby is also deaf and if she ever got loose on me, she'd be right after the deer to try and herd them and she would have no trouble doing it on three legs.

13. tuckers mom

In a situation like this, I've found that the money donated to the one cat to get the surgery is new found money, money the shelter would not have had.

I could be wrong, but it seems that in situations where there's a report on the news about a cat/dog in a bad situation, people come out of the woodwork to donate who would never have donated to begin with.

If the money has to come out of the general fund, then there is the issue of weighing how many pets could be saved versus the one.

If it were my organization, I'd hope they try to raise the money and help the kitty, but I'm a little soft hearted these days.

14. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Sharyn, sounds like you've already got some heart strings plucked here! Also, with a name like PIRATE -- I think he must have been destined to get an eye patch.

Want to start teaching him to say "AAARRGH"?

15. Karen & dB (GA)

Karen & dB (GA) Well-Known Member

If the Burbank Animal Shelter had pts Bindi I wouldn't have the joy of this little character warming my home! They spent a bundle on her with her epilepsy, frequent vet visits including ER, and trying to get her a spinal tap and MRI. So, and I admit that I am completely biased, I would go for surgery. A 3-legged 1-eyed cat named Pirate is definitely a keeper!!!

16. OLM Catnip Cottage

OLM Catnip Cottage Well-Known Member

My 2 cents worth, as director of a special needs cat sanctua

Take this in consideration as you consider the mission of our sanctuary.

I started Our Lady of Mercy's Catnip Cottage specifically to help those cats no one else WOULD help.

The $600 can help a lot of other cats, but if they are adoptable, most other rescues and shelters will step up to the plate to help THOSE cats also. They won't help this cat, though. His only hope is you.

Yes, I also find people who donate to one special needs case donate because THAT cat's plight touched them. That doesn't mean the $600 will be donated to help any other cat....

To every one eye'd or 3 legged cat or dog we've ever rescued, they had no idea they were handicapped. So much so, that I don't even consider a missing limb or eye to be special needs any more.

I've a deaf and blind dog that amazes everyone she meets, and her mischief can frustrate me on any day. She is actually the alpha dog in my house.

So, I guess you know what I'd do. Now here is my question for you,

Can you hold this baby while she/he is PTS, know you could have effected a different solution, and be at peace in your soul? It really comes down to what is inside your soul and heart.

As for adoptable, our special needs cats, especially those who LOOK special needs, whome I find really are NOT special needs at all, get adopted faster and often have adopters fighting over them. They are lovable, pitiable, stand-out and make people want to help them. They are different and many many people LOVE different. After amputation and he heals, he really won't have any more special needs or care than any other indoor cat.

17. Susie and Moochie

Susie and Moochie Member

Well all except for their neuters which were provided free of charge at Anti Cruelty for Eartha and PAWS for Bo (all I had to do was trap them and haul their little butts there) I have paid all of their vet expenses myself but still I am partial to both one-eyed cats

[​IMG]

and to black cats

[​IMG]

I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't be :D

18. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

A one-eyed, tripod kitten named Pirate will have people fighting to adopt him. Two questions: Do you have a link for donations? Have you thought about making Pirate a part of your future fund raising efforts as a success story? Could work and I like the idea of having Pirate contribute to other cats.

19. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

I think the shelter should try the fundraising first. Sometimes some animal lovers with the financial means come thru to sponsor these babies. One eyed 3 legged cats can do just fine. Try to enlist the help of radio or TV stations, and newspapers to spread the word about needing sponsors. If your shelter has a facebook page, use it! Our shelter is using facebook and twitter and YouTube to spread the word about needy kitties for adoption. If you exceed your goal for fundraising, the rest of the money can be used to help other animals.

I wasnt too sure about it at first, but our shelter has started making certain highly adoptable breeds adoption fees higher, with an explanation that they are "paladin pets" and the extra money will help fund other cats and dogs that may need extra medical help.

I was talking today after an All staff meeting that I wanted to write up a "What is a special needs pet?" description/explanation for our website/facebook page.

20. Sharyn & Fiona

Sharyn & Fiona Member

Happy News!

The vet where he is now thinks that with long term AB's he might regain use of the leg! Isn't that FANTASTIC!?! Long term in his book was three weeks. LOL!!! Chance was on clinda BID for 4+ months. 3 weeks is nothin'! Pirate will definitely have arthritis in the paw and we'll have to wait and see how bad or if the AB's even work. But 3 wks is definitely worth a try!

They're going to go ahead and take out the eye today or tomorrow for $75 bucks! I LOVE THIS GUY!!! Dr. Nat at Safe Harbor Animal Hospital in Pensacola.

I knew Pirate had gone to the vet on Dec 9, 2009 and gotten AB's but the vet records stopped after that so there was no record of how he did. I just found out his mom died on Dec 17th. I'm sure no one knew he was supposed to be on AB's or even had problems and of course they had their hands/hearts full at the time. So may be the AB's will work if given a chance. Paws crossed! It's a shame it's taken this long but I've only known him for a week.

Thank you everyone for your input. We had pretty much decided on not PTS. And I was definitely going to be out here with my hat in hand - thanks in advance for those thoughts. I still may if the AB's don't work. I agree about people giving more for a specific cause, i.e. Pirate, versus money to spay any cat. Lots of good points made about this.

We're going to go do a home visit for someone that wanted to adopt him and explain the situation to get a feel for how much they're willing to contribute, i.e. time, pilling, vet visits, etc... I'm going to borrow a kennel from my cousin and keep Pirate in an extra room here for the time being. I WILL NOT BE KEEPING HIM! (she kept telling herself). I've got two other fosters I may end up keeping because of chronic illness.

I'm so happy there may be an easier option. And if it doesn't work (antijinx) the other option is very doable. Long live Pirate!

21. OLM Catnip Cottage

OLM Catnip Cottage Well-Known Member

Great news Sharyn! And I agree, that vet is an angel. God bless him/her!

22. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Great news.

Please plan ahead for those long-term antibiotics and get him started on some probiotics.

V

23. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I know this issue has been settled but I felt that I had to add my thoughts on it all.
    If I were to be looking to adopt, I would push my way to the front of the line to adopt Pirate, without any hesitation.

Sure, lots of people take their kids to the shelters and some look for the little kittens or the ones that look all fine and healthy, plus young. There are others who go to help the ones that may just be seen as not likely to be adopted.

I am not very good at looking at the financial side of things. I know it must be done in some cases but I just can't go there. I do think that pain should be handled before the spay/neuter needs.

I am so happy to hear that the pts option was put aside. I bet you won't have any problem at all in adopting Pirate. And what an awesome vet to be donating to the cause with services.

24. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

HIP HIP HOORAY!! :RAHCAT :RAHCAT :RAHCAT

25. tuckers mom

Great news.

One thing, regarding the home visit. Some folks say they will give the meds, don't worry... our group will not let a cat go until all meds are done. With the best intentions folks have, they may see improvement in a week and just stop giving the ABs. The cat doesn't like the med, the cat doesn't need it, all kinds of reasons not to give the meds.

I would highly recommend the kitty remain in foster care until the meds are finished and you know that no further ABs or surgery would be necessary.

Pirate is a lucky kitty to have found your shelter group.

26. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I would give him serious consideration. But I need to know his history and most importantly - see pics!!!!! :smile:

27. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I would try the antibiotics first like you are doing. If that does not work then the amputation would would be great if the money is available. I have a tripod kitty, Stewart. I adopted him that way.

28. ceil99

ceil99 Member

Yeah! Hillary!

Hillary loves Pirate, I know she already does. She wants him at her home!!! :dizcat haha_smiley

Yes, please pictures!!

29. Cheryl and Winnie

Cheryl and Winnie Well-Known Member

Good news on the leg! Hope the ABs do the trick

Pirate sounds like a real "treasure" :D

30. Sharyn & Fiona

Sharyn & Fiona Member

Pirate update

Jack Sparrow (formerly known as Pirate) is in his new furever home as of last night! He currently is isolated in his own room but they go in and check on/spend time with him a lot. He comes out of his hidey hole when they go into the room. I was later than expected getting him out to his new family and evidently his new mommy had called home a couple of times asking if he had arrived yet. awwww... I took the camera out to get pics and totally forgot.

The eye removal went well on Thursday. Of course he looks pretty rough with the stitches and the fur around his eye shaved. He'll be so much more comfortable once it's healed. The vet wants to keep the bad paw wrapped for two weeks to give it a little support. The bandages need to be changed every 2-3 days but can be done at home. The vet really thinks that it will become usable again. Paws crossed! His new family said he is making air biscuits with the paw. I did get the vet to give me some pain meds to take home and Jack Sparrow is on zeniquin once a day which makes it easy. I gave them some FortiFlora and Culterelle. He's new dad was already calculating giving the AB at night so he could give the probiotics in the morning before we left.

His new family is really great and I have no doubts they'll take good care of him. Just a happy, happy story.

On another happy note, one of my previous fosters got adopted from PetSmart last night too. yay!

31. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I'm glad that Jack Sparrow now had a furever home. Your help was appreciated.

32. Steph & Cuddles (GA)

Steph & Cuddles (GA) Well-Known Member

Awww he already has a happy ending! I was going to let you know that if it's a kitty that's been through a lot.. but doesn't necessarily need continuing meds the rest of it's life.. they get adopted FAST at shelters! I hate to even joke about it, but I've mentioned before about the kitties that have been at our shelter for years... "Just take an eye or leg from the kitty, and it'll be adopted tomorrow!" But unfortunately, it's true. They pull at the heartstrings more, and stand out from the regular cats at the shelter. (especially black cats) The only cats that have stayed around for a LONG time at our shelter, were the ones that have corneal scarring in their eyes, and need eyedrops at least BID for the rest of their lives. People think twice about that kind of care. But honestly... if the eyes were removed.. they'd get a home in no time. Pulls at the heartstrings, and doesn't require the daily meds the rest of it's life. Harsh, but true. We still have Harvey at our shelter. 2-3 years old.. still runs around like a kitten, chasing jingly balls. Even runs around the lobby with the ball in his mouth! *sigh* BUT.. he's still there because he has some corneal scarring that will require him to get eye meds the rest of his life. :sad:

We had another one.. Angela. Grew up there from a kitten.. got a really bad URI or herpes or something, and had the same scarring. Been there 2.5 years, and a foster/volunteer just officially adopted her. I like how they get furever homes, but I hate how sometimes it falls on the staff or volunteers to 'save' those hard to adopt kitties. (that's how I got Cher.. she was so obese, she was missing the litterbox & couldn't clean herself. They had deemed her 'unadoptable.') She's now down to 11 lbs, and I get her confused with Missy at times! (both pure white) Her only other option if I hadn't taken her, was PTS.

Please keep us posted about him & how his paw does!
    Sorry for the tangent.. but I agree with others on here that people would have been lining up to adopt him. (heck, they already were, right?? ;-)) Cases like that can draw the attention of people that normally wouldn't give a regular cat a second glance, and bring awareness for the other cats as well. Who knows if someone may hear about his story, then decide to go down to the shelter to take a look at the other cats..? :smile:

33. ceil99

ceil99 Member

Jack Sparrow??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Love it, love it

Now we most DEFINITELY need pictures

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.