Amy Cat -- New Member "Hello"

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Monjon22`, Oct 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monjon22`

Monjon22` New Member

Hello, my 18-pound, 11-year old grey tabby cat, Amy, was recently diagnosed with FD. I work long hours and am away from home for 12.5 hours during the day, so I am unable to test her very much between shots.

Here is a summary of Amy's medical journey since then. It has been a learning experience, and Amy is already improving -- she is much more lively, an eye infection is almost gone and she just seems like a younger cat.

10/7: Amy Cat was diagnosed FD (BG 460)
    10/9: Amy began taking 1u of Lantus BID
    10/12: Amy switched to wet food -- Wellness Core
    10/16: I began home testing Amy and increased her dose over the next 4 days increased her dose to 2.5u BID (which I since learned was too fast of an increase).
    10/21: I did a mini curve (Pre shot BG 331); (+5 BG 182); (+6 BG 196); (+7 BG 191); (+9 BG 194); (+12.5 BG258)
    10/22: +11.5 BG400 and I gave her 3u which caused her morning pre shot BG to be only 130. (I now realize that I should not have increased the dose.)
    10/23: +11.5 BG130. I skipped a shot. That night her +12 BG = 332 and I gave her 2.5u.
    10/24: +7 BG334; +11.5 BG323 -- 2.5u given; +12.5 BG261 -- 2.5u given.

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome and congrats on making lots of good choices for Amy. Have you seen our Lantus forum? The stickies at the top of the page will give you lots of valuable info on how to dose with Lantus, when to raise and lower etc.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewforum.php?f=9

3. Donna & Doogle

Donna & Doogle Well-Known Member

Glad to see you here Monica!!! Setup a spreadsheet on Google docs to help you keep up with your numbers and so others can see also.

How to setup your spreadsheet

Then start posting you numbers and questions in the Lantus board:

Lantus Board

We do have a relaxed board but it doesnt get alot of action so most people post on the tight regulation. Then read ALL the stickies at the top of the lantus TR board to learn everything. Also, setup a profile to give background info for all to see.

How to setup your profile

Each will need to be linked in your signature so its on every post you make and people can click on it to see the info without having to always ask. The two pages for the profile and spreadsheet will tell you how to do it. On the Lantus board you will find MANY people that have super expertiece on using Lantus and dosing. If you have questions, make sure to use the ? icon in the subject line with the basic question for the subject so people will take a look and get more eyes on it. I am thrilled to see you here! Just give people a chance to answer also. They are sometimes busy helping others with low numbers or with their owns kitties. Look forward to reading more from you and seeing you on the Lantus board!

4. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hello Monica,

Just wanted to welcome you and your furries to FDMB!

This is a great place to find info and support, and you'll soon feel right at home here. :smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.