An act of rebellion?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tiger and the squid, Jul 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiger and the squid

Tiger and the squid Member

So, its 654a. Tiger is doing his usual morning routine of asking for breakfast. Small meows, jumping on the bed, pouting at me in general. I'm just sitting on the edge of the bed waiting for the little alarm to go off.

He pees by the hamper.

I have two litter boxes in the apartment, and I scoop daily. Now to be fair, I have not scooped this morning, but it's been less than 24 hours since the last scoop.

Is he trying to act out? Punish us for not feeding him? I know he sometimes has accidents in his sleep but this is the first time I've seen him actively not use the litter box. My husband just reminded me I did move the litter box yesterday, a small rotation so the entrance is facing a different way.

We go to the vet tomorrow for some follow up tests so I'll mention it.

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

What's his number this morning? Maybe he's really high and telling you he doesn't feel good.

3. JanetNJ

Dude I'm looking at your spreadsheet. You aren't raising his dose quick enough. Do 2 units today. Every three or four cycles if you don't see a blue nadir go up half a unit.

4. JanetNJ

5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree. These are very high BG numbers and they need to come down. I agree with Janet's advice to increase by 0.5 u after 3 or 4 cycles until you start seeing much better nadirs.

6. Tiger and the squid

I wasn't sure about raising his dose without speaking to the vet. Since I'm seeing her tomorrow evening, should I still increase tonight's dose? Should I give him an extra .5u right now? He was still showing high when I just tested him, which would be +2

7. JeanW

JeanW Member

I would not give any extra dose now. Almost always your shots should be 12 hours apart. Very few exceptions.

Agree that those are very high numbers. I should show the spreadsheet to the vet.

8. JanetNJ

increase tonight. She's in dangerously high numbers for a long period of time.... Really got to get that down. Being this high this long puts them in greater risk for ketoacidosis, neuropathy, and organ damage.

9. JanetNJ

Have you sorted out the food thing yet? What is he eating? Also can you add what meter you use to your signature?

10. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Not dose related. I left two cats in the care of my idiot cousin who let their water bowls go bone dry. They resented that and in return I got a single turd dead center of my pillow.

Idjit's mom and JanetNJ like this.
  11. JanetNJ

Send it to your cousin with a note that says “I think this is for you”. Haha

12. Tiger and the squid

He's eating Fancy Feast Grilled right now. I just ordered some Tiki Cat Hookena Luau Ahi Tuna and Chicken and Against the Grain Caribbean Club with Chicken and Cheese yesterday, so we'll try that in a few days.

The meter is a store brand (Kroger) meter. No other branding info, except the manufacturer on the back.

13. JeanW

JeanW Member

Fancy Feast classic pates will be lower in carb and you could go get some today to get his carb intake lower right away.

14. JanetNJ

Ok so a human meter. I was wondering because human meters run lower than pet meters.

The grilled is not a good choice as it’s high carb. I feed it when I am steering up a hypo. Are you looking at the food chart to pick? Find foods under 10 % carb. Under 7 is better.
    https://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

15. JeanW

JeanW Member

What is the feeding schedule you are following?

16. JanetNJ

The tiki cat and against the grain foods look like good choices.

I free feed except no food two hours prior to the preshot test. I feed fancy feast classic morning and dinner and leave it out to graze on and a little more ff just before bed. I also give small amounts of young again zero carb dry.

17. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

No one in my family knows or cares where he is. I've checked the prison system, armed forces and obituaries. At his dad's funeral he kept kicking me under the table, "How long does this go on for?" My other uncle was in charge of the estate and bonehead cousin wanted/demanded his cut days later. After he abandoned his dog and his half of our lease I just wanted to forget him.

18. JanetNJ

Yikes. Yeah he sounds like a disaster.

19. HereKittyKittyKitty

HereKittyKittyKitty Member

Cats do not like having their litter boxes messed with. I'd rotate the box back the way it was and take him to it so he can see you fixed it. I'd wait until after he's feeling better/properly controlled before changing anything about the litterboxes (other than scooping/changing the litter).

20. Tiger and the squid

I had looked at that chart and made notes when I first went shopping. I could have sworn the grilled was one of the good options. That's why I picked it up. Bleh.

He gets food at 7 and 7. One 2.8oz can for each of the kitties gets put out. Typically the bowl is clean by the next go around but this morning there were some shreds left.

I just checked and he's down to 508 so still not great but it is lowering. I talked to husband about increasing his dose and he voiced some of the same concerns I had. Mostly that we're seeing the vet tomorrow and I'm already nervous enough about something happening when I'm at work or asleep.

I'll go pick up the pate for now. Hopefully a nice muggy walk followed by after-church Walmart shoppers will perk me right up.......

21. JanetNJ

I am fairly certain raising to 2 won't have a significant impact since your cat has been stuck in these high numbers so long. I would be surprised if you saw much difference before 3 units. You have 400 points to drop before you have to even think about him being low.

Remember that normal on a human meter is 50-120.
    This is where you are aiming to get his nadir eventually.

22. JanetNJ

She may be peeing from being held too high but she may be peeing because she's way too low. Testing is the ONLY way to know for sure. If you attempt 3 times with no success.... Give a treat and take a break and try again in a half hour.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.