An observation and a thank you to this community

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Simon'sMommy, Jun 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon'sMommy

Simon'sMommy Well-Known Member

Simon and I are a little over 5 weeks in to our sugar dance. The day I came here was the day after he was diagnosed. We had gone to the vet that morning and were given a crash course on giving him 2 units of ProZinc and told to bring him back in one week for a blood test. No mention of home testing at all. Just give him the 2 units and let the chips fall where they may. They gave me a sheet of paper with what to look for in a "hypo" situation and there was no mention of Karo syrup or how to bring his BG back up. Just "call us or the emergency vet if he acts like a. b. or c" That was it. They watched me give him the injection for his first shot. They did not tell me to test his urine for ketones or for sugar. Nothing. Nada.

I came here looking for information thanks to "Dr. Google" and your website was NOT one of the 2 on the paper they gave me at the vet nor was Dr. Pierson's site on there. I found you all purely by googling feline diabetes.

They told me I had to buy Purina DM at almost 2 bucks a can and that I should also buy the Purina DM dry. I had already done a little research and I did not buy the dry, but bought 3 cans of the wet. I would have kept spending the money if I did not come here and see that FF is just fine for diabetic kitties as long as it is under 10% carbs.

Fast forward. Day 2. I watched some You Tube videos and poked Simon's ear and voila! Home tested him before I gave him his shot. Then Sue and Oliver and Deb and Wink and Rob & Harley helped me with my impatience, my worry and my frayed nerves. I can't begin to thank you for this. Wendy and Tiggy and Carl and Bob also helped me at other times. Terri and Chicken Little befriended Simon and I and check on us and cheer us on. I am blessed. So many others names that escape me have weighed in on Simon's threads as well

What you all provide and do for people who have sugar babies cannot be overstated. I mean that from the bottom of our hearts. This community has saved many lives in just the short time I have been here. Staying up all night with a perfect stranger who has a kitty in a hypo situation is just one example of the selfless people who daily hang out here and help others. Many of you don't even have sugar cats anymore as they have GA and yet you STILL help others. How great is that? Amazing.

I answered a post about coupons for Fancy Feast a few weeks ago and within a couple of days, an envelope arrived in my mail box with coupons for FF and other things from a member.

You educate. You cheer us on. You grieve with us. You study spread sheets until your eyes cross to get the dose right so we can hopefully celebrate with an OTJ party! You are amazing and you deserve all of the praise I am giving you and then some.

There is a special place in heaven for people like you!

Thank you from the bottom of our hearts. :YMHUG: I raise a glass to all of you! drinking24

2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Joyce,

It was all your doing. Wanting to know more than what your vet told you. Trying to learn how to better help your sugardude Simon. Researching on the internet. And then taking that leap of faith to listen to a bunch of crazy,cat obsessed "beans" that wanted to teach you some of the ways you could help your cat. You didn't know us and didn't know if we were steering you right. It's hard to trust someone you have never met.

You did all the right things.

1. Low carb food, <10%. Lower cost to you.
    2. Home testing. Bit the bullet and learned to do this.
    3. Good insulin. Prozinc.
    4. told me your favorite color so I could loan you some patience pants. ;-)

Truly, we all love our cats as much as you love Simon. You are part of this crazy FDMB now for better or worse.

My one wish is that Simon will be one of those cats that can join Wink at the falls. Even if that never happens, we all know you are doing your very best for Simon everyday. That's what counts. {{{{{Simon and Joyce}}}}}}

3. terriy

terriy Member

Ditto on what Deb and Wink said!! You are a fantastic mommy to Simon and I think that you are one special person!!! I thank you for your friendship and I also have to thank everyone else here!!
    If not for the support, help and knowledge that I have received I dont think CL would be here today!! We are a pride!!!
    party_cat drinking24

4. misty1477

misty1477 Well-Known Member

Joyce,

I could not have said it better myself. :smile:

Your story sounds a lot like mine would be. Minimal info/help from vet....finding FDMB....reading/watching posts & stickies....getting awesome help from members here.....correct food selection.....and on and on and on.

Having a sugarkitty is very rough in the beginning and even at certain other times. Members here have calmed me when I was at the breaking point, helped me adjust dosing amounts, cheered on days when Rumpelteazer decided to give up some good numbers, helped me through a hypo (due to dose amount that vet told me to give :roll: ), and sooooo much more.

I, too, am extremely happy that I found this wonderful FDMB family.

BTW.....looking at Carl's pics are an awesome way to take a break from trying to choreograph the 'sugar dance'.

5. Joyce,
    Give yourself the bulk of the credit. And I think I speak for the community by saying that we're always thrilled when anyone finds any of our advice beneficial.
    My motivation is that I want everyone who comes here to be as fortunate as I was, and to feel like I did when I posted a huge thank you to the "masses" the day Bob went OTJ nearly two years ago. That won't happen to everyone perhaps, but I always want people to understand the real possibility that it could. This community is the greatest group of people I've ever "met".

And thanks, Misty, for the mention. I only wish I'd discovered my newfound passion back when Bob and I were dancing. It might have served as a great distraction in the midst of the craziness on the days I felt overwhelmed :D

6. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

I am glad we could help.. It means a lot to all the volunteers here and we hope you will become one of us and help pay it forward!

7. Simon'sMommy

That is indeed my plan Wendy. I want to pay it forward whenever I can. The feeling you get when you hear the words "Your cat has diabetes" is just awful. You wonder if they will live through it (and if you will live through it) and you pray you can get that little drop of blood each day (multiple times a day) so that you can monitor their safety at each dose. You pray for green numbers (or blue or even yellow) and you are so happy when you see your baby acting happy and feeling good. Simon's coat has never been this shiny and he is alert and exhibiting all 5 of the "P's" each day.

He never had neuropathy thankfully and hopefully we can avoid this due to your help and the right amount of insulin. If not, we now know about vitamin b-12!!

Thank you all of your dedication and compassion. We appreciate it!

Soon I may be able to return those patience pants to Deb. :lol:

8. RobinCot

RobinCot Well-Known Member

I agree!!! I came here only a week before you and had all of the same questions, problems and worries and the members calmed me down and educated me. I second your accolades for this great group of people!

9. dsmithkma

dsmithkma Member

Your accolades for this wonderful site are spot on!

FANTASTIC post!

10. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Nah - keep them - Deb has a closet full of them to give out! :lol:

11. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

And I'm stocking more all the time. Just loaned out tons to Oliver Twist's momma today over in Lantus TR forum. Mommabean Mary blew up all the old ones.
    in this condo. http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=98006

Hilarious. Wins the award today for must read condo.

12. Simon'sMommy

:lol: Too funny!
    Man, that kitty had a great looking SS! My patience pants would be unbuttoned and ready to give to Goodwill or another impatient mom cause that kitty is headed for OTJ fo sho!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.